PDA

View Full Version : Roundup of scores for PS3 launch games

Tezcatlipoca
08-04-2007, 00:10
From gamesTM (http://www.gamestm.co.uk/), issue 55.

(IMO, the only decent print-mag for games)

Resistance: Fall of Man - 6/10

Motorstorm - 8/10

Virtua Fighter 5 - 8/10

Virtua Tennis 3 - 7/10

The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion - 9/10

Ridge Racer 7 - 7/10

Sonic the Hedgehog - 4/10

Splinter Cell: Double Agent - 7/10

Call of Duty 3 - 8/10

Genji 2: Days of the Blade - 2/10

Marvel: Ultimate Alliance - 6/10

Tony Hawk's Project 8 - 6/10

Mobile Suit Gundam - 2/10

Full Auto 2 - 7/10

World Snooker Championship 2007 - 5/10

NBA 2K7 - 8/10

NHL 2k7 - 7/10

Blazing Angels - 6/10

Enchanted Arms - 6/10

Formula One Championship Edition - 7/10

Def Jam: Icon - 7/10

Fight Night Round 3 - 8/10

NBA Street Homecourt - 7/10

Need for Speed Carbon - 7/10

The Godfather - 5/10

Tiger Woods 07 - 7/10

Untold Legends: Dark Kingdom - 4/10

F.E.A.R. - 7/10

Damien
08-04-2007, 00:32
I like EDGE as well...

Tezcatlipoca
08-04-2007, 00:43
Edge isn't too bad. Can be pretentious though IMO... used to be better back when it started.

Arcade was a great multiformat mag. Sadly got cancelled though :(

I don't trust single-format mags... especially official ones.

MovedGoalPosts
08-04-2007, 01:53
Looking at those scores there doesn't seem to be a must have game that makes you want to rush out and buy the PS3.

In fact I wonder whether we're reaching a stage that the game creator's are running out of ideas, irrespective of platform. Yes consoles may be getting more potent, but great fast graphics and speed of loading isn't a substitute for something that grips you by the short and curlies due to all embracing engrossing playability.

peanut
08-04-2007, 02:05
Looking at those scores there doesn't seem to be a must have game that makes you want to rush out and buy the PS3.

You could also say the same about the wii

http://www.metacritic.com/games/wii/scores/

Judging from those and the user reviews they all score quite low (ish). Quite a few online review sites give the games out so far a low score.

keithwalton
08-04-2007, 10:03
There is also the game - Gran Turismo HD Concept, its being released in stages for free via the playstation store

Tezcatlipoca
08-04-2007, 13:25

In fact I wonder whether we're reaching a stage that the game creator's are running out of ideas, irrespective of platform. Yes consoles may be getting more potent, but great fast graphics and speed of loading isn't a substitute for something that grips you by the short and curlies due to all embracing engrossing playability.

Nintendo seem to be realising that... they care more about playability & fun than fancy graphics & how powerful a console is.

Motorstorm is the closest thing the PS3 has to a "must-have AAA title" at the moment [not including multiformat must-haves such as the amazon Oblivion]. It really does look *awesome*, & is meant to be brilliant fun to play.

The current problem for the PS3 is the lack of exclusive "must-haves".

Aside from Motorstorm, the only other big exclusives are Resistance (average) & RR7 (very good).

The rest of the decent launch games are multiformat...

Oblivion is one of the best games ever IMO, while Splinter Cell Double Agent & COD3 are both excellent, Fight Night Round 3 is very good, etc. etc. But they're all on the 360 already (with Oblivion being a year old on 360/PC), along with the various EA Sports games, F.E.A.R., Def Jam, & so on.

Virtua Tennis 3 is also out for the 360 etc.

And the formerly-PS3-exclusive Virtua Fighter 5 is coming to the 360 soon.

Then, for the big upcoming "must-have" games, the formerly-PS3-exclusive GTA IV is coming to the 360 at the same time, the formerly-PS3-exclusive Assassin's Creed is coming to the 360 at the same time, the formerly-PS3-exclusive Devil May Cry 4 is coming to the 360 at the same time..............................

Gran Turismo will obviously stay PS3 only, & the upcoming GT5 should be brilliant.

Metal Gear Solid is due later...should be excellent. There are rumours it may go multiformat though, but I think that's just wishful thinking.

There's no point in a 360 owner getting a PS3, unless they have money to burn just to get a few non-360 exclusives & a cheap BD player.

For someone without any "next gen" (well, now current gen) console... well, the 360 is cheaper, has a larger number of games (inc. exclusives such as Gears of War, the Halo series, the next Splinter Cell, Dead Rising, Lost Odyssey [from the creator of the Final Fantasy series], etc.), & is only missing those few few PS3 exclusives such as GT & MGS.

And of course BD playback is pointless for anyone without an HD TV.

Give it a year, & things will be different...the PS3 should be cheaper, the developers should be getting to grips more with the Cell, & there'll be more decent games. Look how long it took the PS2 to actually have any truly decent games (btw, if anyone has a PS2........GO AND BUY GOD OF WAR 2!!! [And no.1 if you don't have that]).

You could also say the same about the wii

http://www.metacritic.com/games/wii/scores/

Judging from those and the user reviews they all score quite low (ish). Quite a few online review sites give the games out so far a low score.

The top 10 games in that list frange from 75 to 95.... hardly low scores.

The Wii has some great games (yes, not a lot, yet, but some), has exclusives on the way such as Mario Galaxy, Metroid Prime, etc., and also has the "Virtual Console" giving access to loads of classic Nintendo & Sega games. Plus, of course, it's less than half the price of a PS3 & just under 2/3 the price of the 360, & is aimed at a more broader market to the 360/PS3, & is a different kind of play to the PS3/360.

peanut
08-04-2007, 13:55
I don't disagree, I'd get a wii myself if I could find one. But from what I've read so far, only a 'couple' of top titles are released so far for the wii, I'd go for the novelty value not the quality of the games so far.

You say the top 10 for the wii is between 75 and 95, out of that top 10 only 3 or 4 interest me (specific genres), and I would need a lot of convincing to buy a game knowing it's only scored 77% (and that's No6 in the top 10,).

Bulky
08-04-2007, 14:03
have to be honest , love my 360 but would love to play motorstorm , looks amazing , resistance also appeals to me but didn't get great reviews , maybe when it comes down a lot in price i would consider buying , but they would have to have lots more 'exclusive titles :)
ps3 owners keep me updated on the new titles and what they think of them :)

icestar2
08-04-2007, 14:15
Motostorm is a great game - love knocking people of there bike online :)

Think the resistance fall of man score is a bit unfair I really enjoyed that game and thought it was also good online.

Ridge racer look's good and is very easy to pickup and play.

GT:HD look's amazing. The detail is this game is out of this world.

Also Got lemmings from the PS3 online store lol with HD lighting hahah good little game for some fun :)

Tezcatlipoca
08-04-2007, 14:26
I don't disagree, I'd get a wii myself if I could find one. But from what I've read so far, only a 'couple' of top titles are released so far for the wii, I'd go for the novelty value not the quality of the games so far.

You say the top 10 for the wii is between 75 and 95, out of that top 10 only 3 or 4 interest me (specific genres), and I would need a lot of convincing to buy a game knowing it's only scored 77% (and that's No6 in the top 10,).

Wii stock:

http://www.wiipreorder.co.uk/

http://www.wii-consoles.co.uk/default.asp#wii_consoles

I used those last week to find stock at Amazon :)

Good titles so far....

Zelda (a "must-have")

Wii Sports (great fun, & comes free with the console)

Excite Truck

SSX Blur

Madden

The Godfather

Coming up...

Metroid

Mario Galaxy

Super Paper Mario

Smash Bros

Mario Strikers

No More Heroes

Scores...

Some mags/websites use marks out of 10, or even 5, while others use a % score.

Metacritic converts all scores to percentages, & then generates an average.

But there is a difference between using x/10 & using x%. [Heh, I remember all the arguments on Digitiser........]

And 77% isn't necessarily a bad score.

Some mags, the ones which rate all "average" games with 70%, would consider 77% to be bad.

But, depending on where the score has come from, 77% can be a very good score [I wish I'd got 77% for my degree ;) lol ].

e.g. gamesTM rate 5/10 as an average. For them, 7/10 is a good score.

If you look at that particular game, & check the individual scores which made up the Metacritic average, plus read the text of them (always more important than simply reading the score), then it does actually sound quite good.

:erm: Apologies to myself for taking my own thread :notopic:

Damien
08-04-2007, 14:30
Most scoring systems are pretty poor tbh. I think games have so many different elements that affect them that the scores mean nothing.

I.E

Does it last long, whats online play like, then the actual gameplay

NoKnowledge
08-04-2007, 14:31
@ Matt - Any chance you could post the same or similar games scores for the Xbox360?

Tezcatlipoca
08-04-2007, 14:47
Can't really, sorry.

I just took those scores from the current gamesTM, which has a nice unbiased overview of each of the three consoles, & then also has a full review/score roundup for the PS3 launch games.

There's no section in it with the 360 launch games, or a round up of all the current 360 games, or 360 scores vs PS3 scores for the same games.

There is a list of 10 "must-haves" for each system though.

360 Ten Must-Have Games according to gamesTM issue 55:

Burnout Revenge - 9/10

Crackdown - 8/10

Dead Rising - 8/10

The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion - 9/10

F.E.A.R. - 8/10

Gears of War - 10/10

Project Gotham Racing 3 - 9/10

Rainbow Six Vegas - 9/10

Ghost Recon: Advanced Warfighter - 9/10

Tony Hawk's Project 8 - 8/10

Call of Duty 3 was in their top 10 must-haves for the 360 in issue 53, & has a score of 8/10.

Oblivion, F.E.A.R., Tony Hawk's, & COD3 are all on PS3 as well.

Several games from the PS3 launch are also on the 360 (or coming to the 360 - VT3).