PDA

View Full Version : Signal levels! Help needed

blue166
07-04-2007, 21:38
How does an engineer go about making your signal levels better for your broadband, Is it a process which is simple'ish?

Please give me some correct feedback on this issue, Thanks.

Hom3r
07-04-2007, 21:43
This is proberly done at the box (Green ribbed here).

blue166
07-04-2007, 22:03
thankyou

can anyone confirm this please?

Stuart
07-04-2007, 22:28
It is.

XFS03
08-04-2007, 00:57
The levels can also be changed by adding forward path equalisers or attenuators to the modem.

Web-Junkie
08-04-2007, 16:59
The question should be 'Which is the correct method to make your signal level better?'

Is it via attenuators (I have a 10dB one screwed into a 3dB Splitter and then a 6dB on the modem making a 19dB drop to the SACM, 13dB to the TV), or reducing it via the green box or other method?

Digi Tel
08-04-2007, 19:12
The question should be 'Which is the correct method to make your signal level better?' Is it via attenuators?
An attenuator makes your signal level worse, that is its purpose. The issue of signal levels is best left to the engineers who install and maintain your equipment. It is all part of the service that is included with your subscription.

Web-Junkie
08-04-2007, 20:24
But should they be sorting the signal level at the green box or just screwing on these attenuators to save them time?

If my signal is so high it's had to be dropped by 19dB to the SACM does that mean the signal level needs to be sorted out at the box or is using attenuators just the same and therefore correct too?

Digi Tel
10-04-2007, 09:17
Fitting attenuators to lower a strong signal level is standard practice. People living close to a terrestrial TV transmitter will have attenuators fitted to the aerial input of their TV. You wouldn't suggest that the transmitter lowers its power as an alternative!

The reason that your signal level is so high is that you may live next door to a street amplifier. The power is needed to serve all your neighbours, so the logical place to lower your signal level is at your equipment.

Web-Junkie
10-04-2007, 10:26
That's all I wanted to know thanks, that attenutors are perfectly OK to be used!

XFS03
10-04-2007, 17:13
An attenuator makes your signal level worse, that is its purpose...
LOL. I don't think you worded that correctly. :D

---------- Post added at 17:13 ---------- Previous post was at 17:05 ----------

Fitting attenuators to lower a strong signal level is standard practice. People living close to a terrestrial TV transmitter will have attenuators fitted to the aerial input of their TV. You wouldn't suggest that the transmitter lowers its power as an alternative!

The reason that your signal level is so high is that you may live next door to a street amplifier. The power is needed to serve all your neighbours, so the logical place to lower your signal level is at your equipment.
From what I have read on these forums, doesn't each household have it's own tap in the cabinet, which can be altered to adjust the signal without affecting your neighbours?