PDA

View Full Version : email on Vodafone?

Barton71
07-04-2007, 11:21
Is it possible to set up the email client on my vodafone mobile phone, to send and recieve email using my VM email account? If so, does anyone know the settings? thanks. :)

Nikesh
07-04-2007, 12:14
Yes it is possible. :)

On your phone under Email Settings there should be somewhere where you can add a new account.

You will probably have to name the account so just call it Virgin or Email or something...

Under email address type your VM email address.

There should be somewhere on your phone which lets you change the Connection Type...
Change this to POP3.

Change the Incoming Server to pop.ntlworld.com

Username is just your email address without the @ntlworld.com and then type your password in.

Hope this helps mate. :)

Graham M
07-04-2007, 12:46
If you want to send email you will have to set the SMTP to the Vodafone one as the NTL one won't work

Barton71
07-04-2007, 16:59
Thanks very much guys. I`ll add those details tonight and see how it goes. It would be really useful to be able to send and recieve emails from my mobile. :)

Nikesh
08-04-2007, 11:16
Did it work? :)

Barton71
08-04-2007, 19:53
umm no.:erm: Maybe im just being a thicko or something, but it keeps coming up, "cannot find server".

I suppose its best to describe what ive done. First i tried the way you guys described, and i got the "cannot find server" message. I then opened an email account on www.vodafone.net (http://www.vodafone.net) and added my NTL email account details to the "External email accounts", in the thinking that i could enter the vodafone email settings into my phone and have the mail from my NTL account forwarded to the vodafone address, but i am still getting the "cannot find server" message. It's quite frustraiting as a can't see where i am going wrong. The settings i entered into my phone (Sony Ericsson W850i) are as follows.

Account Name: Vodafone
Connect Using: Contract WAP
Email Address: *********@vodafone.net
Connection Type: pop3
Incoming Server: pop.vodafone.net
Username: *********
Password: *********
Outgoing Server: smtp.vodafone.net
Encryption: No Encryption
Outgoing Username: *********
Outgoing Password: *********
Incoming Port: 110
Outgoing Port: 25

The Settings i entered on the vodafone.net site, to have my emails forwarded to my vodafone address are as follows.

Email address ********@ntlworld.com
Username ********
Password **********
Mail server address pop.ntlworld.com
External server type POP3
Port number 110

Does all this appear correct? I really cannot see what i am doing wrong. Thanks for your help. :)

Nikesh
08-04-2007, 19:59
I'm not sure what you're doing wrong because I have a Sony Ericsson W810i and I'm guessing the menus are pretty much the same...?

Barton71
08-04-2007, 20:51
GAH!! I made stupid error. In the advanced settings, i had my phone set to "Home Network" instead of "Any Network". Thanks for you help. Thats me up and running now. :)

Nikesh
08-04-2007, 21:24
Glad you got it sorted in the end! ;)