PDA

View Full Version : Torrent Problems ! Help !

ash213
06-04-2007, 22:14
Got virgin media few weeks ago, and im on wireless.

Never been able to get any torrents working, do i have to mess about with the modem setting/comp settings ?

If yes, what ones and how ?

swoop101
06-04-2007, 22:20
go to http://www.portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/routerindex.htm

and choose your router.

Then follow the instructions and you should get it sorted.

kingbuxton
06-04-2007, 22:27
Not sure how tolerant this place is when Torrents are involved, here goes.

You need to open specific ports to allow connections, if you are Firewalled then it wont connect as it should. If you connect via a Router get rid of any firewall you have on your PC, not needed, go into the Router setting, look for a Port Forwarding section and input the Port range your Bit Torrent client uses. Bit Tornado lets you specify ports in settings, it wil randomize from say 10000 to 60000, so stick those in your Router. If you are using a software Firewall then it will have a similar area in which ou can stick these settings.

Best bet if you are a bit unsure is use uTorrent as your client, that has a built in test that will tell you if your Ports are open or closed.

Last and most important, depends on what Torrent you are trying to get, and from what site. The more seeds the better is a good start. Private trackers are usually faster than open Trackers.

Hope this helps.

ash213
06-04-2007, 22:31
so its the router settings and not the modem settings i need to mess about with ?

cheers

kingbuxton
06-04-2007, 23:33
Well I have a Cable Modem, if there are settings I have no idea what they are. Your Router is stealthing your Ports, like it is supposed to do. You will have tp physically go into the Router and tell it to allow access to the Ports your Bit Torrent Client wants to use. They all use a range of several thousand ports, that randomize each time you use BT. So you need to have a look inside the client you are using, and put that Port range into your Router. That should sort it. If you are on a public tracker (ie you didnt sign up to join) then give it time to connect, it can take as long as 20 mins to start running at a good speed. Also make sure the Torrent you are getting has plenty of Seeders.

MovedGoalPosts
06-04-2007, 23:51
It's preferable only to open up the ports that you actually need to allow your torrent client to operate. Too many and you create other vulnerabilities.

Don't allow the upload speed to get saturated. Set that to a maximum of 80% of your full upload (not download speed).

Make sure you have good antivirus ;)

You say you are on wireless, which router are you using. Some can get overloaded holding open too many connections.

Martyn H
07-04-2007, 13:50
Is there software that will automate the port forwarding process for technically challenged people like myself?

AbyssUnderground
07-04-2007, 14:24
Is there software that will automate the port forwarding process for technically challenged people like myself?

No. You need to do it yourself since it requires logging into the web based router console to do it. Portforward.com is about as simple as you'll get it.

Caster
07-04-2007, 16:06

UPnP does this, enable it on your router and whatever application needs open ports.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UPNP

Martyn H
07-04-2007, 22:40
UPnP does this, enable it on your router and whatever application needs open ports.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UPNP

Usual advice is to disable UPnP!

Stuart
07-04-2007, 23:53
Well, unless you are happy to open ports manually, or set up the machine in a DMZ (which may cause more problems than UPNP) then UPNP is the only option.

homealone
08-04-2007, 00:39
Usual advice is to disable UPnP!

Thanks, have done so :)

Rik
08-04-2007, 08:48
Please dont use UPnP, take time to learn how to open your ports manually.

Enabling UPnP will leave you wide open, the security of your router will be greatly compromised.

Martyn H
08-04-2007, 10:15
Please dont use UPnP, take time to learn how to open your ports manually.

Enabling UPnP will leave you wide open, the security of your router will be greatly compromised.

Thanks, I didn't realise that. It seems to have made no difference to my d/load speed anyway.