PDA

View Full Version : V+ and keeping your old box - Good Luck!

Charlie Seven
06-04-2007, 14:44
Had V+ installed last week and opted to keep my existing box. On the phone I had been told the installer would put the old box "wherever you want".

Don't fall for this one - it's not true!

The installer will want to put the old box wherever its convenient (for him!).

The only place that was deemed suitable in my house was right next to my existing broadband outlet -which meant that the only work the installer had to do was to spend 2 minutes splitting a cable into two.

I've now got cable TV in my study, which is the last place I want it. I'm going to have to install the cable myself to where I actually wanted it - in an upstairs room.

Hugh
06-04-2007, 15:37
Strange - when they fitted my V+, they didn't have the kit to drill through the outside wall in my son's room, so they made another appointment, then came and fitted it.

oval73
06-04-2007, 15:43
Sounds like you had a subcontractor doing the work - complain to CS and tell them what happened

morph178
06-04-2007, 16:57
Had V+ installed last week and opted to keep my existing box. On the phone I had been told the installer would put the old box "wherever you want".

Don't fall for this one - it's not true!

The installer will want to put the old box wherever its convenient (for him!).

The only place that was deemed suitable in my house was right next to my existing broadband outlet -which meant that the only work the installer had to do was to spend 2 minutes splitting a cable into two.

I've now got cable TV in my study, which is the last place I want it. I'm going to have to install the cable myself to where I actually wanted it - in an upstairs room.

It is true, the tech should have put the box exactly where you wanted it, It's your house, Your call, call c/s and complain, they will send someone round to move it to where you want it!

joglynne
06-04-2007, 18:31
I agree with Morph, Our installer spent half an hour drilling through engineering bricks at the side of our house so that the second box could go where we really wanted it. When we realised how difficult is was to drill we suggested a really easy install upstairs but he wouldn't hear of it. I'd complain on this one with no qualms what so ever.

Charlie Seven
06-04-2007, 18:54
It is true, the tech should have put the box exactly where you wanted it, It's your house, Your call, call c/s and complain, they will send someone round to move it to where you want it!

I think I will take your advice and complain - I already had a cable running to the loftspace (my broadband was originally upstairs) but the chap wasn't prepared to drill through the ceiling to get it down into the room (the previous hole had been filled in by the decorator, and the installer said he wasn't permitted to drill through a ceiling). When I suggested running the cable up the side of the house he was obviously not keen on doing it and he went on at length about how he didn't think it was a good idea as the cable would be so unsightly.

I did wonder at the time if he was a subcontractor as he had a plain white van rather than a "branded" one.

morph178
06-04-2007, 21:25
I think I will take your advice and complain - I already had a cable running to the loftspace (my broadband was originally upstairs) but the chap wasn't prepared to drill through the ceiling to get it down into the room (the previous hole had been filled in by the decorator, and the installer said he wasn't permitted to drill through a ceiling). When I suggested running the cable up the side of the house he was obviously not keen on doing it and he went on at length about how he didn't think it was a good idea as the cable would be so unsightly.

I did wonder at the time if he was a subcontractor as he had a plain white van rather than a "branded" one.

The fact that you already have cable in the attic makes this a fairly straight forward installation, one small hole in the ceiling of the room where you want the TV, split the cable up in the attic and run the cable to the box, job done! At the end of the day you are the customer, it's your house, the cable goes where you want it!!

dev
06-04-2007, 21:42
wasn't there a similar thread about this? (the fact that installers arent allowed to drill through floors/ceilings)

RedDragon
06-04-2007, 21:52
Installers are not allowed to drill through floors/ceilings, but if you could open up the old hole he could use this. Otherwise he should have routed the cable where you suggested. This is a failed install and some one must return to complete it to your satisfaction, call cs to arrange.

Charlie Seven
10-04-2007, 21:21
Here is an update for you all on my installation problem.

I rang VM customer service to complain about the old box not being put upstairs where I wanted it.

The person I spoke with confirmed that installers were not allowed to drill through ceilings, and then added that solo installers were not allowed to work in excess of 2 meters from ground level!

However, they said that the installer should have put the box where I wanted it, even if the only way that didn't involve him breaking the rules was for him to run the cable upstairs through the inside of the house!

To have the cable run up the outside wall I will apparently need to book a special "two-person" installation team with a ladder. The CS person kindly agreed to refund the fee that will be charged to me for this visit and I have made an appointment for the team to come to do the install.

joglynne
11-04-2007, 07:34
Good news Charlie. Let us know how the re fix goes.