PDA

View Full Version : Changing from Modem to Set top box?

fonzie
06-04-2007, 12:09
Morning all,

A question for those in the know on cable tv/internet! We've had NTL broadband for a while and it's connected via the main NTL socket downstairs in the living room.

We've just had the basic Virgin Media TV package fitted in the bedroom and have been supplied with a Samsung set top box.

Is it possible to bin the stand alone modem now and simply connect the set top box to the PC?

I called Virgin Meda tech support and they advised me this shouldnt be a problem, just plug it in but I can't seem to get any connectivity from that.

David

MovedGoalPosts
06-04-2007, 12:12
You don't want to do this, and I'll be surprised if VM actually let you.

The best STBs. generally the Samsung's, can only support broadbadn to around 5-6 meg speeds. Cable Modems clearly go a lot faster. Even if you are on a 4 meg speed now, the time will come when 10 meg or faster becomes the norm for the cable paltform. Anyone with a STB won't be able to get that, unless they get a replacement modem. You are one step ahead of the game, stay that way.

oh and :welcome: to Cable Forum :tu:

SnoopZ
06-04-2007, 12:14
You can't just plug the STB into the computer as this would need to be registered on your account.

It's best to KEEP the SACM because the STB won't be able to take advantage of high broadband speeds. The most the Sammy can handle is around 6mbit so if you're on the 10mbit package(soon to be 20mbit) then you will run into a problem.

fonzie
06-04-2007, 12:17
Thanks for the replies guys... option 2 in that case..

The aim of this exercise is to get rid of the wires and modem from the living room as I'm putting new skirting boards on and don't want to have to jam wires behind them.

The main ntl white box (not the technical term I'm sure) which lives in the living room has 2 ports on it whilst the similar looking ntl white box fitted in the bedroom for the cable TV only has 1 port which links directly to the STB.

Is there some sort of splitter I can get for the upstairs port to enable connection for both STB and modem?

AndyCambs
06-04-2007, 23:34
Not only do you not want to re-connect to the STB, but it was only previously available in the former C&W areas. It's no longer offered to new customers, and they're moving existing customers to SACM as well.

The two ports you can see on the white box - one was for FM radio signal, but I believe this is no longer used. CS may be able to provide you with a splitter from the cable between the interior wall to the set top box for the SACM

Pimmo2000
09-04-2007, 13:43
The set top box wont be setup to receive your BBI service, with the Ex telewest support our boxes could only support up to 1mb connections... is NTL different ?

MovedGoalPosts
09-04-2007, 14:07
The Samsung STBs supplied to some of the ex ntl areas could handle up to 6 meg speeds, as posted above. All becoming irrelevant now as any new customers will always get a modem for broadband.