PDA

View Full Version : Crashing modem

Mephi
05-04-2007, 16:35
I'm trying to figure out why my modem keeps crashing.
It just locks up, and I have to power it down and back up again.

This is really annoying because I then can't connect to my home server when I'm away.

So I phoned tech support (150) they told me that I had to run with a PC directly connected for a while first to make sure it's not a router problem.

My router is also a PC running Linux, so I wait until the modem dies again and call them back. I get asked to reset the modem and then get asked what version of windows I'm running.

I'm told that Virgin don't support Linux and I said I didn't want them to, I wanted them to support my internet connection.

The virgin guy then goes on to tell me that there's no fault on the connection or the modem (which is true, because I just power cycled the modem) and that my equipment doesn't like being run 24/7...

Does anyone know of anything I can try? or anyway of getting through to a actual technical support person? :confused:

Paul K
05-04-2007, 16:37
Did you actually do as you were requested and directly connect the modem to your PC?

Mephi
05-04-2007, 16:50
Yes, my router is a PC, not a standard netgear/linksys/belkin device.

As a result I am able to use my internet connection from my that as I would from a directly connected PC. (It has a screen, keyboard, etc)