PDA

View Full Version : Calls from 08007838422

Russ
04-04-2007, 20:10
I've recently taken out a second mobile number and I keep getting missed calls from 08007838422. When I call it back they claim to be from HSBC (I have no dealings with them) and doing a google seems like other have had the same.

Often I'll pick up and there's no reply then they hang up after 5 seconds. Anyone else here had calls from them?

DocDutch
04-04-2007, 20:18
sounds like 1 of those lovely numbers where you pick up and try to phone them back as you havent heard anything and the friendly company taking dosh through that.

other then that it sounds like a money making scam :O

Paul
04-04-2007, 20:19
Doesn't ringing an 0800 number from a mobile cost you money ?

I never ring back numbers I don't recognise, if they want me that bad they can ring me.

SnoopZ
04-04-2007, 20:27
You could try adding your mobile number to the Telephone Preference Service (TPS) to see if this stops it.

The Telephone Preference Service (TPS) helps you to make sure your telephone number is no longer available to organisations, including charities and voluntary organisations who may telephone you with offers and information you do not wish to receive

Under Government legislation introduced on 1st May 1999 and replaced on 11th December 2003 by the Privacy and Electronic Communications (EC Directive) Regulations 2003, it is unlawful to make unsolicited direct marketing calls to individuals who have indicated that they do not want to receive such calls.

You can either do this by contacting companies directly and asking them not to call you or you can register with a central register - the TPS.

http://www.tpsonline.org.uk/tps/

Russ
04-04-2007, 20:28
You could try adding your mobile number to the Telephone Preference Service (TPS) to see if this stops it.

http://www.tpsonline.org.uk/tps/

Yeah normally I do, but the temptation of getting a cold caller try and sell me some crap, listening to all his sales pitch then telling him I'm not interested just for wasting my time is too strong to pass up :)

SnoopZ
04-04-2007, 20:31
Yeah normally I do, but the temptation of getting a cold caller try and sell me some crap, listening to all his sales pitch then telling him I'm not interested just for wasting my time is too strong to pass up :)

I wish the service worked for overseas calls as these get annoying.

:D

Dre
21-05-2008, 09:38
Apparently 6 months or so ago, a worker at the HSBC call center in Bangalore was arrested for selling HSBC customers bank details to fraudsters. Around £250,000 was stolen.

I was receiving calls from this number back then. The calls stopped but I have been receiving them again recently.

Ignore them, if they continue, register with the TPS linked above. I'd notify those you can because although most people are aware that any bank will never ask for your details over the phone some people fall into it.

cimt
21-05-2008, 09:46

That one is similar, I keep getting calls from this number who are claiming to be a banks. Shame, they keep getting my name wrong. :(

PeteTheMusicGuy
21-05-2008, 10:57
It's probably some outsource company who contracted to them :)

MadGamer
21-05-2008, 14:08
Apparently 6 months or so ago, a worker at the HSBC call center in Bangalore was arrested for selling HSBC customers bank details to fraudsters. Around £250,000 was stolen.

I was receiving calls from this number back then. The calls stopped but I have been receiving them again recently.

Ignore them, if they continue, register with the TPS linked above. I'd notify those you can because although most people are aware that any bank will never ask for your details over the phone some people fall into it. Just thought i would have an input on this. HSBC never ask for your security details in full. and when you ring them, they ask for sort code, account number and security digits all via automated machine before you even get put through to CS.