PDA

View Full Version : Modem problem, or is it network?

Hogweed
03-04-2007, 13:57
Thanks again for provision of this forum. Right. I've had Telewest broadband (and everything else) for over 5 years now, and most of the time I have to be honest – thorough gritted teeth – and admit the broadband has been great. It’s there, it works, it's fast.

However... on maybe 4 occasions, for days to months at a time, I've lost the ability to send emails (though I can receive), and browse websites. On each occasion, Telewest/Virgin have denied vehemently that there’s a problem with their network, and have had me re-registering dll’s on my PC, and all sorts of other nonsense. When I have told them, very slowly and clearly, that I have tried 3 PCs (I fix PCs for a living) on the modem, and they all behave the same, they either virtually accuse me of lying, or put the phone down. They tried very hard to persuade me to reinstall XP once.

Last time, I was out of action for well over 2 months. I wrote – and even my MP wrote 3 times – to Mike Burch, the CEO; but achieved nothing. The problem was definitely my PC, no matter the fact that I was now using my laptop on my girlfriend’s Telewest connection without problems, and her laptop wouldn't work on mine.

Then one of the network engineers called me, and told me how to change the upstream channel number on the modem. I did this – wham, everything back full speed ahead. It was OK for a couple of months – then it happened again. This time I knew what to do – I moved the modem back to the channel it had originally been on, and it all came back again. Been OK for a month again now.

I reported this to Telewest, but was treated with the usual patronising “It couldn't possibly be your modem or our connection Sir. It's acquiring an ip, so the connection MUST be OK”. What wonderful logic – if only life were so simple.

So my question is this – do you think I have a connection (ie network) or modem problem? Should I demand a new modem?

Thanks a lot...