PDA

View Full Version : Why is it.

Hom3r
02-04-2007, 21:10
Why is it we somebody dies, prematurely, when people talk about them they where a very nice person, wouldn't hurt a fly, etc etc.

Why do you never get comment that they where a scumbag, evil sod, or that they got what was coming to them.

This is not meant as an insult to those people who have lost a loved one. Just an observation.

Ramrod
02-04-2007, 21:19
I have wondered that as well......perhaps people feel they might get haunted by the deceased if they speak ill of them. :shrug:

Paul K
02-04-2007, 21:43
Dunno but more often than not the truth comes out pretty quickly no matter how hard people try to "purify" the deceased. Call a spade a spade I say.... (I mean the garden implement by the way ;) )

Locky
02-04-2007, 21:55
i think the reason is, respect

Hom3r
02-04-2007, 22:02
i think the reason is, respect

In some cases that proberly true, but what about that family on Louis Theoux last night, would you respect them?

I wouldn't.

Locky
02-04-2007, 22:04
i am sorry i dont no who tht family is ? tell me ?

but i think first tohughts on sum1 who jus turned brown bread is nearly always positive but it does not take long for true feeling to show

Hom3r
02-04-2007, 22:10
I started a thread about this last night, the program is repeated BBC2 Wednesday 11:20pm

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/23/33611606-louis-theroux-meets.html#post34265700

Locky
02-04-2007, 22:12
I started a thread about this last night, the program is repeated BBC2 Wednesday 11:20pm

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/23/33611606-louis-theroux-meets.html#post34265700

i think i will wotch this when it is on seems interesting, thanks, when i see it i will comment further :)

Damien
02-04-2007, 22:20
Wow.

I think you have drawn too much anger at that family. I watched it and I thought they were very angry and had twisted views but I could never take them seriously. It was really just too stupid and idiotic. If anything I left feeling sorry for the younger generation of the family who are being brainwashed. Towards the end you see Louis talking to the 21 year old girl and actually showing some humanity and guilt showing though the cracks.

If you really want to be freaked out you should see the where he meets the Nazis. So very off-putting and scary. At one point you fear for Louis himself when he refuses to answer if he is Jewish to one of the racist familys. At a couple of other points you physically want to throw up.

Derek
02-04-2007, 23:30
Why is it we somebody dies, prematurely, when people talk about them they where a very nice person, wouldn't hurt a fly, etc etc.

I think it depends on the person. If Ian Huntley finally manages to top himself I don't think the obituaries will be overly kind.

valor
02-04-2007, 23:39

Who's saying they are/were wrong..?
In a plane crash or bomb blast..the person that saves your life... could have just been a convicted Murderer or worse.

Chris W
03-04-2007, 01:50
it isn't just when people die prematurely. When you are trying to remember someone then you remember their good qualities- whether this be fond memories you have of them personally, or just good personality traits that you know about.

For me a funeral is about cherishing the good memories and those special moments with the person in question. It is healthier for everyone to hold onto the good memories more than the bad.

greencreeper
03-04-2007, 01:56
I think it's partly cultural and partly religious. Once upon a time, the departed would have been laid out in the back room (houses don't have them anymore) and everyone would come to pay their respects. The clue is in the word - respect. There's also the superstition of not speaking ill of the dead. Religiously, St Peter will be reading the list of sins, so we aren't exactly helping by discussing them - best to focus on the good things just in case Pete has missed something off the list, you mention it, and the deceased has to spend eternity in hell because of your big mouth.

Maggy
03-04-2007, 03:20
Perhaps it also to comfort the living..who wants to be reminded that their dearly departed had bad qualities..they are wanting to remember the positive aspects of ther dead ones character,because they have little else to count on.:erm: memory is fleeting, as fleeting as our time in this world. :(

Alien
03-04-2007, 12:25
The only reason I'd avoid showing any sign that I was pleased about the death of a scumbag would be if I was in in the presence of friends/family of the deceased, or thought that their friends/family might hear about it - purely for reasons of self preservation.

When I was a kid there was a slightly older kid who was a bully & complete scumbag, who terrorised me & others. I later found out he'd developed a glue-sniffing habit, which in his case ended up being fatal. I feel no shame in admitting I was pleased when I heard about it - the world is a better place without him in it.

SatelliteTVTalk
03-04-2007, 12:41
The only reason I'd avoid showing any sign that I was pleased about the death of a scumbag would be if I was in in the presence of friends/family of the deceased

Too true - and I think it's a rather positive part of the human psyche that we tend to look on the positive elements of someones life rather than the negative - After all, you may think this person's a scumbag - but who's to say you're right?

Woolly One
03-04-2007, 12:55
When I was a kid there was a slightly older kid who was a bully & complete scumbag, who terrorised me & others. I later found out he'd developed a glue-sniffing habit, which in his case ended up being fatal. I feel no shame in admitting I was pleased when I heard about it - the world is a better place without him in it.

Reading that reminded me of a similar person in our high school - out and out bully - he ended up hanging himself with a football scarf. :( We were never told the reason why, but at the special assembly, the head was going on and on about how promising a pupil he had been:confused:

There bears the question - could he have been?

Ramrod
03-04-2007, 13:05
i think the reason is, respectBut if they didn't deserve respect in life, why give them it in death?

Damien
03-04-2007, 13:16
I think this only happens in cases were they were not that bad. Murderers and Serial killers would not get the same treatement. To that end no one was sad when Saddam was killed.

Whens it simple people who are disliked then its such respect. As well as the impact on the friends and family of the person who died. I think a big part of it is the fear and mystery surrounding death. No matter who they were they eventually died and it is going to happen to us. It kind of brings them down to the same level as you, something you have in common. There is a kind of uneasyness that sounds death which helps add to it.

Alien
03-04-2007, 13:23
After all, you may think this person's a scumbag - but who's to say you're right?
In this instance, pretty much everyone who knew him.

There bears the question - could he have been?
From what you've said, I don't think it's very likely.

But if they didn't deserve respect in life, why give them it in death?
Exactly.

Chris
03-04-2007, 13:24
Sentimentality? I don't know. When I was a local hack we always used to do the gushing tribute to someone who died horribly. Never stopped us tearing him to pieces afterwards when the Inquest revealed he was a drug dealer who got what was coming to him.

Both approaches sell papers. :shrug: