PDA

View Full Version : Am I able to get my mac address swapped over?

jimborae
02-04-2007, 14:42
My neighbour and I were both on NTL 10 mb and he moved away recently & left me his NTL 250 modem (I have an old Ambit 120). In light of the up-coming upgrade to 20Meg and also the fact that my Ambit is a bit flakey, does anybody know if it would be possible for me to use his NTL 250 modem and to get Virgin to re-register his old mac address against my account?

As I see it it would be alot cheaper & less time consuming to do this rather than to get an engineer visit and hope my modem is having a bad day so that he replaces it. My symptoms are less than stellar dowload speeds (usually around 8 meg) and sometimes frequent disconnects which are usually resolved by rebooting the modem.

handyman
02-04-2007, 14:44
They will proably not do this. Although Its seems like a simple solution and would have been quite possible to achieve in blue tools (if Virgin use this still)

Web-Junkie
02-04-2007, 21:53
They probably won't trust a second hand modem, if it's faulty and causes damage somewhere then who is to blame? No, they will want to install a new one by a legit engineer so they, and you, know it's kosher!

Just ring them up and ask if you can have your modem swapped!

Paul K
02-04-2007, 22:00
Doubt they will do it since there are so many "chipped" boxes for sale online. If you have issues with your modem call them and tell them it's faulty, what are you doing when it locks up?

SnoopZ
02-04-2007, 22:13
They send modems out in the post now if the customer is capable of installing it themselves. Atleast that's what they plan to do when the 20mbit upgrade is happening and a modem swap is needed.

jimborae
03-04-2007, 10:12
Hi & thanks for all the replys, I guess I'll just have to wait till 20meg comes to my area then & get a modem upgrade through the post. I certainly able to install it myself :)

@ Paul, when it locks up & disconnects I just pull the plug out the back, leave it a minute or two & then reboot. Bobs your uncle and I'm back online again till the next time it happens. Trouble is it only happens every three or four days so there's no guarantee that'll it occur when a engineer is present. In fact Sod's Law states that it won't :)

Having looked at the modem's diagnostic page all looks to be fine there and to be honest it's more of an annoyance than anything so I can grin and bear it for the time being. I just thought as I had a spare modem it I could do something quick and simple about it.

Cheers chaps.

Paul K
03-04-2007, 11:17
I meant what are you doing on the PC when it locks up? If it's just random lock ups then heat or general wear and tear of the equipment could be the issue.

jimborae
03-04-2007, 17:44
I meant what are you doing on the PC when it locks up? If it's just random lock ups then heat or general wear and tear of the equipment could be the issue.

Lol,, it can be anything from dowloading a large file, torrenting or just a bit of online gaming. Like I said it does appear to be a bit random.

swapshop1
04-04-2007, 16:34
They will change the MAC 'cos I did it with my girlfriends, however you need to speak to an Indian who really understands English! and is capable of dealing with out of the ordinary requests. Also you ABSOLUTELY must wait until the old internet account is finished, disconected and paid up. Otherwise this seemingly simple task becomes a nightmare.