PDA

View Full Version : Help....

edd81
01-04-2007, 18:57
Hi,

I have recently started to experience problems with my telewest connection, I currently have a Webstar modem via an ethernet connection.

I operate on the following systems:
PC
Apple Mac
XboX360

In the past when using my connection on each of the machines, I have powered down the modem and moved it to whatever machine I wanted to use........this isnt ideal but it works, or "worked".

About a week ago I tried using my modem on xbox live, however it was unable to resolve the IP, this was very unusual as I have never had this problem before and the connection had been fine with my Apple Mac.

Yesterday, I tried connecting the modem to my laptop, once again I was unable to access the internet (unusual as it worked a few weeks before and was still working on my mac).

I admited defeat and contacted telewest, to some extent they were helpful and during the hour I spend on the phone the result was that I should either install service pack 2 (how this would help my xbox connection I do not know) or call a premium rate helpline at £1 per min. I chose to install service pack 2 on my laptop.

The internet now works on my laptop (wohoo), doesnt work on my xbox and now doesnt even work on my mac.

Has anyone got any ideas what is going wrong and how I can resolve this issue???

Hex
01-04-2007, 19:15
Assuming the modem is not actually faulty, a router would probably be the best way to go, saves the constant re-booting of the modem. The problem sounds like the modem is keeping a memory of its last connected MAC address, but this should be cleared each time the modem is powered down for more than say 30-60 seconds.

If it has some how locked itself onto a specific MAC address, then most modern routers can spoof their own address to match.

I don't know that particular modem tho, so cant really help any further.