PDA

View Full Version : ZoneAlarm

kenseaton
01-04-2007, 14:36
Hi

I've had a problem getting online this morning in Glasgow - called support and they suggested closing down ZoneAlarm firewall as the possible source.

No good after doing that and I called support again ... was given settings for proxy server on 213.105.224.12 and this seems to work.

However, I now find that I can't get any email with the following message:

>>Task 'Ken Seaton (pop.ntlworld.com) - Sending and Receiving' reported error (0x80042108) : 'Outlook is unable to connect to your incoming (POP3) e-mail server. If you continue to receive this message, contact your server administrator or Internet service provider (ISP).'

Any ideas, anyone? Are the two things linked and was it anything to do with ZoneAlarm (which, suspiciously, was updated yesterday)

Ken

virginmedia
01-04-2007, 14:40
I have Zonealarm and mine is working fine.

I suggest your call 151 faults and try again.

bopdude
01-04-2007, 14:45
I and a few more on here have had the same problems as your describing with ZA, even though the programs are on the allowed list ZA still blocks them, I would suggest maybe un-installing ZA and see if that helps, if it doesn't then at least you can rule out ZA as the problem and we can look else where.

HTH

Of course, if it does work, your not going to have a firewall, so once determined, get one ;)

kenseaton
01-04-2007, 14:55
Thanks

I don't really want to uninstall ZoneAlarm too quickly but I've disabled it and am running the Windows XP firewall.

I'm going to have to call support, though, as thelack of email will be a pain.

Ken

bopdude
01-04-2007, 15:09
Thanks

I don't really want to uninstall ZoneAlarm too quickly but I've disabled it and am running the Windows XP firewall.

I'm going to have to call support, though, as thelack of email will be a pain.

Ken

Un-install ZA, prove or disprove that it is actually causing the problem and take it from there,try first before spending money on TS IMHO

kenseaton
01-04-2007, 16:15
OK - switched off and restarted the machine. ZoneAlarm is back up and running and I now have my internet access back and email too.

Not sure what has happened, though. The fix from support to the new proxy server (the old one was renf something) seems to have fixed the access problem.

ZA has added itself to my Outlook toolbar and I'll figure out how to get rid of that.

Thanks for the help.

Ken