PDA

View Full Version : Per minute calls, very expensive and here's why.

Paul H
31-03-2007, 19:06
Virgin Media are reducing it's package rentals to the same as BT, but changing to per minute billing in addition to a call connection charge, so that a 10 second peak mobile call will now cost 21p against about 6p for BT, and a 10 second call to Pakistan will cost 65p against 7p for BT.

Cobbydaler
31-03-2007, 20:16
Ummmm.... How many people call Pakistan for 10 seconds?

Although I agree about the smoke & mirrors with the "reduction" in general...

Paul H
31-03-2007, 20:21
Pakistan is just an example of a call for 65p. Many people make calls that last for a few seconds, and by them charging by the minute now then all calls will be charged at 6p connection plus whatever the rate is per minute for that call. So calling a mobile at peak time will now cost a minimum of around 30p. even if it is for a few seconds.

If you think about what it means really, you could be spending about 50p and more per day more than you were before. multiply that by 30 days and you'll owe a small fortune.
For every one call you make from the per minute billing, you could make 3 or 4 calls before for the same price.

Virgin will be raking the money in now.

Pittcity
01-04-2007, 11:26
Why not try using First Telecom Cable Saver? No joining fee or monthly charges, just cheap calls charged by the second. They do charge £1 for paper bills and another £1 for non direct debit payment, but the free e-billing is fine.
Sign up online and you will receive a box a few days later which you plug into your phone. You will have a few extra numbers dialled when you make a call and much cheaper and correct bills. I have never had cause to ring their customer services...more than can be said for Virgin!!! Of course as you are stilling paying Virgin line rental (which is not a lot if you have TV and broadband too.) you can still use the free 150/151 numbers.

arcamalpha2004
04-04-2007, 23:56
00:59:33 £1.56

BT landline to boston ma landline.
This is under the bt international package ;)

ACDeag
06-04-2007, 17:34
Virgin Media are reducing it's package rentals to the same as BT, but changing to per minute billing in addition to a call connection charge, so that a 10 second peak mobile call will now cost 21p against about 6p for BT, and a 10 second call to Pakistan will cost 65p against 7p for BT.

BT also charge by the minute as well and they also haved a connection fee (but 3p not 6p).

Instead of being cheaper than BT VM just match them or are more expensive nowadays. You could always get yourself a dialler box from Orchid.

https://www.secureonlineshopping.biz/orchid/products.asp?recnumber=61

You can then program it to call via 18185 or 1899 or such like using their cable access numbers, or use the First Telecom box mentioned above.

slowcoach
09-04-2007, 03:14
The trouble with having BT is that you have to spend a day going through the pamphlet that comes with the bill, looking for the price rise. They have a habit of running really good phone rates now and again which suddenly shoot up, of course no-one reads the pamphlet carefully, if at all, the only purpose of the pamphlet is to try to hide the notification of price rises in the small print.
BT – been there, been stung. :nono:

alferret
11-04-2007, 22:19
or go on vonage

wtaylor82
12-04-2007, 20:49
As a Billing Employee of a telecommunications company - no not virgin media/ntl. I can tell you per minute billing is going to be a process that is going to be put in line to increase profit margins.

There is really two elements here a setup fee i.e. replaces min call charge i.e. 5.4p but always remains i.e. 3p or 2.555554 exc vat

If we take for example someone who is on a 3-2-1 plan i.e. 3 pence per minute for a daytime call lasting 4 minutes and 12 secs

With per minute rounding. This call would cost (5x0.03)+0.03=0.18p. This calculation is based on the following 5 minutes rounded from 4 minutes and 12 secs multiplied by the unit charge 0.03 adding the setup fee.

Per second billing. This call would cost ((0.03/60)*252)=0.126p. This calculation is based on unit charge i.e. 3p divided by the number of seconds in a minute 60, multiplied by the number of seconds that is 4 minutes and 12 secs e.g. 252. Thus giving a total of 0.126p

This gives the company a profit of 5.4p.

Oh - did you know an average call length. check is out and see how much mor its going to cost you on your talk plan.

Good isn't it, :-(

Whats even better for these companies is they can get away with saying ok we will change the rate to 2p per minute. Fair enough but they are still in pocket.