PDA

View Full Version : Sudden broadband speed increase

Kurt Alden
29-03-2007, 11:48
Hey all

I've been using NTL / Virgin for years, I'm based in the South Manchester area. I was upgraded to 10 meg months ago but have never got above 700 KB/s or so max download speed.

Last night however, all the menu's on the TV changed to the black Virgin Media ones (that work really well, very impressed) and I've noticed this morning that my download speeds have rocketed, I'm getting a constant 1200 KB/s on some sites - I never got anything close to that before.

I was wondering if anyone has had the same? I reckon it's either that Virgin have "fixed" something that was broken before, done a bit of network tuning or maybe done something to my account. I've not asked for any upgrades and nothing in the literature seems to suggest that I should be expecting something.

Kurt

dcclanuk
29-03-2007, 12:03
lucky u! U are now getting wat u paid for lol... so this is good and bad on the part of VM/NTL lol

AndyIggs83
29-03-2007, 12:09
You should have been getting them speeds before!

At least there's some good news on here for a change!

Kurt Alden
29-03-2007, 12:29
Yeah I suppose I should be a little huffy as I've been paying for this for ages and have only just got it. I'm not hugely bothered though as I don't often download huge amounts, I'm more into consistant performance and reliability as I play games a lot but it's a nice suprise to suddenly get decent performance.

I wonder who's done what to make this work. As it *appears* to have changed when the tv menu's changed it could be down to the set top box firmware / microcode but don't get the impression that I have any idea what I'm talking about here as I don't, it's just thinking out loud.