PDA

View Full Version : Connection Problems!

lmc87
28-03-2007, 19:09
Evening guys, just stumbled accross this today and what a cracking site.

Basically i'll cut to the chase. Over the last 2 weeks my internet connection has went down the pan, every hour or so i get about 5 minutes of nothing. My conection stops working and sites time out.

Now when i run a tracert to google during this time i can see that it's loosing packets and timing out on Telewests side. I phoned up tech last thursday and i was happy with the tech, i was only on hold for around about a minute. He went through the usual reboot your modem etc but i've already done that several times.

Now i know this is a problem at the exchange and is probably down to too many users but this is really annoying me now. This happens at anytime of the day even at 2-3am. It is also affecting my work as i do work from home.

Any ideas guys? i'll be calling again tomorrow as there are ADSL providers out there that are cheaper but i like telewest/virgin because in the last 7 years i've had broadband with them this is the only problem i've had. But i need the service.

So a few questions, How do i go about getting a new modem? The one i have is an old motorolla surfboard that i got back in 2000. Does anyone have the retentions line as i am not happy about paying for a shoddy service or can the tech transfer me through.

Thanks.

NoKnowledge
28-03-2007, 19:16
Are you using USB or Ethernet?

lmc87
28-03-2007, 19:26
Are you using USB or Ethernet?

Ethernet. Heres a shot of a tracert to google when it's acting up.

http://img521.imageshack.us/img521/2597/tracertrt8.jpg

edited with new ipless tracert.

NoKnowledge
28-03-2007, 19:34
Have you checked the 'service status' pages - links at the bottom of this page

lmc87
28-03-2007, 19:38
maintenance
Change Request Number 61775
Start Time 28/03/2007 00:01
End Time 28/03/2007 06:01
Description of Change Network Maintenance in Edinburgh
Customers Affected Broadband
Posted By Sue White
Posted On 26/03/2007 10:30
Detailed Description
Our engineers will be working on Ubr05 and 06 in Edinburgh

looks like they are doing work, but im not sure if this will affect me as i'm on the kirkcaldy exchange.. I'm possibly on UBR06 but i'm not certain. Anyone got any ideas?

Stuart
28-03-2007, 19:41
lmc87, welcome to the forum. I have removed your image as it contained your personal IP address. We don't recomend users post any personal details on the forum. You never know who is reading.

lmc87
28-03-2007, 19:55
lmc87, welcome to the forum. I have removed your image as it contained your personal IP address. We don't recomend users post any personal details on the forum. You never know who is reading.

Evening Stuart. Didn't realise, thanks.

Florence
28-03-2007, 21:06
Hi lmc87 I have been having similar problems and today totally lost connection for 5 mins sync light flashing with only power light steady since then more pages keep timing out. Just completed a speed test from top of the page here and not good for a 4MB connection.

Wed, 28 Mar 2007 19:59:41 GMT

1st 512K took 1078 ms = 475 KB/sec, approx 3914 Kbps, 3.82 Mbps
2nd 512K took 1078 ms = 475 KB/sec, approx 3914 Kbps, 3.82 Mbps
3rd 512K took 1953 ms = 262.2 KB/sec, approx 2161 Kbps, 2.11 Mbps
4th 512K took 2766 ms = 185.1 KB/sec, approx 1525 Kbps, 1.49 Mbps

Overall Average Speed = approx 2879 Kbps, 2.81 Mbps

I am loathed to phone India as the last few times they blamed the modem and it was the network. Hope Vigin see sence and return the callcentres to the UK.

I am from Manchester connected via Oldham sometimes when it all hangs i have to do ping and tracert to kick it back up tried rebooting the modem when it hangs but it comes back and still times out.

lmc87
28-03-2007, 21:19
I am 99% certain it is at Virgins end. I was happy with thier phone service as i got through to a nice guy and tried he tried to help as much as he could. I know it's not thier fault so i try to be patient but i require more than a 50% uptime.

I used to get limited or no connectivty through windows so thought this would be my router. Tried plugging straight into the computer reboot etc and still the same problem, But as said it looks like they have scheduled maintanence on UBR06 so i'll give it until this time tomorrow.

SADIE
29-03-2007, 07:20
I have been loosing connection for about 4 days .. it starts well and then just slips away and tells me I am not connected .. although I can clearly see that network connenction is Connected .. whoops just looked at it now and it is Disconnected .. what does this all mean .. I still have your Forum up ..
Microsoft are great they foned Me back as I can`t even get that up .. Can`t find Server and Can`t display Page messages all the time sooo annoying am very disatisfied .. never even had this trouble with AOL ...
Obviously did all the tests with Microsoft .. Virgin costs for their erros .. Bad!!

Paul K
29-03-2007, 07:24
Sadie, start your own thread with a few details about your connection (how you connect to the BB connection, for example Set top box via ethernet) and let us know what software you are running and wether or not you use a router. Also let us know if you are running any firewall software or are using any P2P tools.
If you do that your issue can be seen instead of getting lost in someone elses thread.

SADIE
29-03-2007, 07:46
Sorry .. Thank you Paul.. Trying to find my way around this truly A Mazing helpful site ..brilliant!!! xs

lmc87
31-03-2007, 11:51
After another call to Tech they are still saying there is nothing wrong with the equipment at thier end. But i'm still having the same problems, could this be down to a faulty modem? Thats the only thing i can think of now.