PDA

View Full Version : I have A CCJ.....

Saaf_laandon_mo
28-03-2007, 11:02
I have a CCj that I am going to satisfy in the next 2 weeks or so. The CCJ was recorded against me approximately 18 months ago for a 5 figure pounds amount. I will be paying it off next month so that teh sum shows off as being satisfied, and am aware that it stays on my record for 6 years.

My question is this? Is my wife's credit rating fubar-ed as a result? What can she do to ensure that there is no affect on here? We currently have a joint bank account, I don't mind if she needs to remove her name from it.

The amount was for an unsecured loan in my name only and I am paying it to prevent a charge on our property (in joint names).

Can anyone offer any advice?

Nugget
28-03-2007, 11:08
Shouldn't affect hers. Your credit records will show that you are linked but, particularly bearing in mind it's an unsecured loan in your name, she doesn't have any responsibility for it :)

HTH :tu:

Xaccers
28-03-2007, 11:13
Make sure you get the CCJ marked as paid on your credit record though.
I'm having fun with mine and my bankrupcy, can't get an abbey bank account (really want to leave Barclays) until a year after my discharge.
Wish I knew then what I know now, as I'd have opened an account before I went bankrupt and had good credit!

Nugget
28-03-2007, 11:16
I'm having fun with mine and my bankrupcy, can't get an abbey bank account (really want to leave Barclays) until a year after my discharge.
Wish I knew then what I know now, as I'd have opened an account before I went bankrupt and had good credit!

Abbey aren't much better Xac - my credit was rubbish but, when I tried to open an account with them (and having told them that my credit wasn't much good), they then tried to set up an account with chequebook, overdraft and all sorts of other odds and sods. Of course, I got turned down, so that was another rubbish search on my credit file :rolleyes:

Saaf_laandon_mo
28-03-2007, 11:20

I will make sure that the debt is shown as satisfied on the CCJ register. I don't care if I can't get any credit as a result in the next few years, but I'd be really peeved off that I've fubar-red my wife's ability to get credit/bank account etc etc. I personally don't think that a satisfied entry on my rating will improve my credit.

I can't believe I was so stupid with the loan in the first place :(

Xaccer are you a home owner? If so did they threaten you with repossession/charges on your property?

Xaccers
28-03-2007, 11:22
Abbey aren't much better Xac - my credit was rubbish but, when I tried to open an account with them (and having told them that my credit wasn't much good), they then tried to set up an account with chequebook, overdraft and all sorts of other odds and sods. Of course, I got turned down, so that was another rubbish search on my credit file :rolleyes:

The woman I discussed it with was very helpful, tried for a full account which was declined, so she contacted the underwriters and said she'd also try for a basic account which has better services than Barclays anyway.
Unfortunately the underwriters stated that they won't give me an account until after Jan 2008.

lauzjp
28-03-2007, 11:23
after you've paid it off - get a copy of both of your credit records. you can then add your own notes to them, and resubmit them, asking your current / future creditors to take the comments into account. http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/actionnetwork/A1175681 http://www.experian.co.uk/ http://www.callcredit.co.uk/home www.equifax.co.uk (http://www.equifax.co.uk/) http://www.checkmyfile.com/default.asp

hope this helps, if not you should ask advice of the citizens advice (http://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/cabdir.ihtml#txt_getadvice_header-Anchor-search) http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/ or cccs (http://www.cccs.co.uk/). :tu:

oh and well done for paying it off! :)

TheDaddy
28-03-2007, 11:23
I will make sure that the debt is shown as satisfied on the CCJ register.

I am not to sure it makes a lot of difference sadly, a couple of members work/ used to work for banks so hopefully better advice and knowledge awaits

Nugget
28-03-2007, 11:24
I will make sure that the debt is shown as satisfied on the CCJ register. I don't care if I can't get any credit as a result in the next few years, but I'd be really peeved off that I've fubar-red my wife's ability to get credit/bank account etc etc. I personally don't think that a satisfied entry on my rating will improve my credit.

I can't believe I was so stupid with the loan in the first place :(

Xaccer are you a home owner? If so did they threaten you with repossession/charges on your property?

Nah, your wife's should be fine. To be honest, having a 'bad' entry on your record doesn't necessarily mean that you won't be able to get credit - I've got a default on mine (drops off in October), but I still got a new credit card the other week. As Xaccers said, make sure that it's shown as satisfied - it may show that you had a CCJ, but at least you took steps to clear it :)

---------- Post added at 11:24 ---------- Previous post was at 11:24 ----------

The woman I discussed it with was very helpful, tried for a full account which was declined, so she contacted the underwriters and said she'd also try for a basic account which has better services than Barclays anyway.
Unfortunately the underwriters stated that they won't give me an account until after Jan 2008.

Blimey, that's harsh! Still, only another 9 months to go :)

Xaccers
28-03-2007, 11:27

No, I'm renting, and the only asset I had was my car which they took off me and gave me £1500 to get another.
If memory serves, if you are able to keep the payments on your mortgage then you can stay in the house, but after the bankrupcy (or maybe after the 6 years for it to drop off your record, or the end of 3 years at the end of your ipo) if your property has increased in value, you have to release some of that gained capital to pay the creditors, through sale or re-mortgage.

I looked at IVAs but they're more restrictive and a lot of people end up not being able to keep up payments so go bankrupt anyway.

If you're considering either, get debt advice from debtline or the consumer credit charity or whatever they're called.

Tried to get my credit record from experian as part of their free trial, but you need a credit card!
So I've got to do it the manual way and send them a cheque for £2.
I'll then probably have to write to my old creditors to request they mark any defaults etc as paid.

Shaun
28-03-2007, 12:50
Shouldn't affect hers.

We'll not know for sure until she goes for credit.

Some companies (Amex it seems IME) take the data they get from a financial link seriously other don't (HSBC IME).

I'd get her credit file as was suggested above and add notice of corrections to both of them stating just what you've stated here. If she starts getting turned down for credit dissolve the current account (I'm not sure if you can just take her name off it) and apply to the credit reference agencies for the financial links to be severed.

I'd not think it should cause too much trouble for her if she has good credit now but if it does then at least you know what to do.

As for Abbey. I defaulted on a current account OD that I had with them (they threw me out of work and expected the money back that month!!) but even though I'd paid them off they still wouldn't mark it as satisfied. Had to get the Information Commissioners office involved. They did update it but never wrote to say they had or apologise.

Abbey are one of the worst banks out there - along with Barclays.:disturbd:

Mal
28-03-2007, 12:57
Nah, your wife's should be fine. To be honest, having a 'bad' entry on your record doesn't necessarily mean that you won't be able to get credit - I've got a default on mine (drops off in October), but I still got a new credit card the other week. As Xaccers said, make sure that it's shown as satisfied - it may show that you had a CCJ, but at least you took steps to clear it :)It would probably depend on how strict the creditor is with their criteria for giving credit. Just because you can get a credit card with one company, does not mean that you can get a card with another.

My sister split with her husband. He moved into a flat and then moved on. Another bloke moved in and got a CCJ entered. My sister was refused credit (initially), as she was still linked to her ex and he was still down as living at the flat. He was linked to the CCJ, because of the address.

arcamalpha2004
29-03-2007, 10:49
I have a CCj that I am going to satisfy in the next 2 weeks or so. The CCJ was recorded against me approximately 18 months ago for a 5 figure pounds amount. I will be paying it off next month so that teh sum shows off as being satisfied, and am aware that it stays on my record for 6 years.

My question is this? Is my wife's credit rating fubar-ed as a result? What can she do to ensure that there is no affect on here? We currently have a joint bank account, I don't mind if she needs to remove her name from it.

The amount was for an unsecured loan in my name only and I am paying it to prevent a charge on our property (in joint names).

Can anyone offer any advice?

Your wife can ask for a notice to be put on the file saying that she has no financial association to you, obviously so long as she does not ;)
Then when she does apply for credit the information will be there.
An aunty of mine had a problem a few years ago when she applied for credit, she had no skeletons in the cupboard so to say ;) but she was rejected.
When she got her credit file it was her son who had defaulted on a credit agreement, she wrote to the credit agency saying that she had no financial association with " mr fred bloggs " ;) and it was sorted! :)
Good luck ;)