PDA

View Full Version : NTL or VM?

magoosgun
28-03-2007, 00:41
My first post, its a moan, but nobody is perfect ;)

Since VM took the reigns of NTL, I have had awful speed issues on 4mbps. Speed tests return under 1mbps. Having regularly e-mailed Vm about this, not one single reply, nobody helps when phoning them up. Seriously thinking of going to BT for the phone and sky for BB now.

Before VM, speedtests regularly put me up at 3.8mbps, very nicely thanks, but since VM took over, its been awful.

Anyone else had this problem or noticed a drastic reduction in the level of service?.

I wish NTL had told branson where to go with his merger. It would have saved alot of hassle in my opinion. :td:

punky
28-03-2007, 01:06
:welcome: to the site.

Branson is just a shareholder. He just collects the profits rather than doing anything within the company. Its still run by the same people, with the same techs, on the same equiptment. The merger with Telewest that happened not too long before the Virgin Mobile merger might have had some impact though.

Could be congestion or traffic shaping, which I think is more likely.

vbrindle
28-03-2007, 01:07
To be honest I've not had much problem since I got broadband with NTL. I got it when it first came out at 512Kb and I can count on one hand how many problems I've had and usually they have been solved within a day without me even calling them.

Most of them have been issues with the DNS server.

I've never had connections dropping out unlike ADSL users, it's always been reliable that way.

Now as for speed that's different.

Since I've moved (other end of town) my speed doesn't seem to be as good as it used to be. I put that down to contention ratio and how busy my new area is.

I'm on 10Mb service and I don't always get 10Mb but that's the way it is. I can only hope it improves, but at least I don't get disconnected from MSN messenger for example.

As for it now being called Virgin Media I cannot see how that would make a difference. The same engineers would be looking after the service. I can only say that maybe they decided to merge the customer services into one.

All I can say is that I personally wouldn't go onto ADSL. Since I've had broadband with cable my connection must have dropped like 5 times since it ever came out (using a router) - not 5 times in a day.

Maybe I'm just one of the lucky ones..........