PDA

View Full Version : Static IP

maikie
26-03-2007, 01:47
I have been trying to look on the virgin website and i can not find any information about this.

But, do virgin give out static ip's. I would like to order some, but i am unable to locate where to do this and from whom.

Is anyone able to shine some light on this for me please?

Tezcatlipoca
26-03-2007, 01:52
AFAIK, they don't do static IPs, at least not for residential connections.

AntiSilence
26-03-2007, 07:07
If you need some way to access your IP from various places, you can use services such as www.no-ip.com

You pick an address, point it to your IP, install a small service which updates your IP on their system, so when your IP changes, they know where to forward to on the address you have picked.

maikie
26-03-2007, 09:12
i already have a dyndns account. It would be so much easier to have static ips.

Ah well. Thank you all anways.

Graham M
26-03-2007, 09:23
Mind you... my IP has only ever changed (apart from once last year - resegmenting I think) when I have connected a new device (router, etc) to the Set Top Box and done the provisioning and I have had this Broadband for 6 or 7 years!

AntiSilence
26-03-2007, 17:39
Yeah, it does seem to take an age for the IP to change. Static-ish IP :D lol

fizgog
26-03-2007, 17:53
My IP only ever changes when I go on holiday and turn off the modem, so as long as you don't turn it off for long periods then it should be static.

Toto
28-03-2007, 17:02
My IP only ever changes when I go on holiday and turn off the modem, so as long as you don't turn it off for long periods then it should be static.

No, the ability for IP's to change has nothing to do with leaving the modem on, its more about how saturated the local uBR pool is.

The more active accounts in a locale, the more often the IP address will change as calls are made for connectivity.

So your experience is indicitive of an under utilised uBR, which probably means a very good contention ratio for you.

VM have no plans to offer residential customers static IP addresses, that service will be reserved for business users.

Hope that helps.

JAY1102
28-03-2007, 21:55
r u 100% sure m8, that ntl residential customers, dont have static ip.this is a very important question to me.

Bill C
28-03-2007, 21:59
r u 100% sure m8, that ntl residential customers, dont have static ip.this is a very important question to me.

Virgin broadband on cable for residential customers is dhcp. You will not i repeat NOT get a static ip. If you want statics ip's you will need to talk to Ntl:Telewest Business who can provide them. I have worked on the broadband network for years and we have never supplied them to residential customers.

BTW i am 100% sure.

JAY1102
28-03-2007, 23:41
Virgin broadband on cable for residential customers is dhcp. You will not i repeat NOT get a static ip. If you want statics ip's you will need to talk to Ntl:Telewest Business who can provide them. I have worked on the broadband network for years and we have never supplied them to residential customers.

BTW i am 100% sure.

thx 4 answering my question m8.iv'e got another question 4 u m8,so when does my ip change, if it helps i live in manchester, what can i do so that it changes

MovedGoalPosts
29-03-2007, 00:23
There is no guarantee that it will change, or won't change. That largely depends on the network. Changing the device connected to the modem, sometimes triggers a change, as does ordering a different speed service. As indicated above, oversubscription of a UBR might cause a change. Realistically IPs are assigned on a "lease" of a few hours or days (depending on the network configuration). If you disconnect long enough, your lease expires and if someone else connects in the meantime and grabs your old IP you get a new one when you reconnect.

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/94/33602406-how-to-change-your-ip-address.html

Toto
29-03-2007, 07:24
There is no guarantee that it will change, or won't change. That largely depends on the network. Changing the device connected to the modem, sometimes triggers a change, as does ordering a different speed service. As indicated above, oversubscription of a UBR might cause a change. Realistically IPs are assigned on a "lease" of a few hours or days (depending on the network configuration). If you disconnect long enough, your lease expires and if someone else connects in the meantime and grabs your old IP you get a new one when you reconnect.

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/94/33602406-how-to-change-your-ip-address.html

Actually, just to add to Robs post, changing the device connecting to the modem, such as transfering from USB to Ethernet, or adding a router or a new Ethernet card will give you a new IP address, because the IP is allocated to the client MAC address, often referred to as the CPE, which I think means Client Premise Equipment.

Hom3r
29-03-2007, 09:04
Its not possible to give everybody a static Ip there are only roughly
4,228,250,625 ip address available (that is 255x255x255x255 - 192.168.2.1)

If they could do it my MAC address there would be
274,941,996,890,625 available

TheNorm
29-03-2007, 09:19
Its not possible to give everybody a static Ip there are only roughly
4,228,250,625 ip address available ...

Well, everyone connected to VM broadband must have a unique IP address, so VM must have 3 million or so to dish out.

andygrif
29-03-2007, 09:33
Not all Virgin customers have internet.

There are a few ISPs that will dish out static IPs for no charge, such as PlusNet.

jwr51
11-11-2010, 15:22
Private eMail servers like Exchange or Postfix must be setup with a static IP in order to work with pulic mail providers such as Google, Yahoo, Hotmail etc.
The reported errors are usually something like "invalid reverse DNS pointer". The solution is a static IP, dyndns won't work.

Zhadnost
11-11-2010, 15:34
or configure a relay host.

relayhost=smtp.virginmedia.com

in main.cf if using postfix.

Of course, could be a pain for incoming email. IME the IP changes so rarely though. It may be worth setting a low ttl on the DNS entry for the hostname that you use for your mx.