PDA

View Full Version : Connecting PS3 to internet.

Slyone
25-03-2007, 22:23
Got my PS3 today, I want to connect it to my virgin BB not wirelessly. Can I just connect my blue ntl:250 modem to the PS3 using the ethernet cable provided?

Tezcatlipoca
25-03-2007, 22:34
Yep.

But you won't be able to have the PS3 & your PC connected to the modem at the same time. And you'll need to turn the modem off & on again each time you swap over.

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/robin.d.h.walker/cmtips/swap.html#swap

A better, long term, solution would be to get a router. They're quite cheap, even wireless ones. Then you could have the PS3 & PC connected at the same time.

Linksys are a popular choice here... BEFSR41 wired, or WRT54G wireless.

Slyone
25-03-2007, 22:43
Thank you for your reply, I don't have any probs with not using the PC at the same time (I knew I wouldn't anyway) it's only while I think about a different solution.

MacmillaN
26-03-2007, 00:45
I'm getting a PS3 soon and would also like to connect it to the internet... i have a modem which is a Motorolla SB4200 Surfboard modem.. so could i just run a ethernet cable from the PS3 to the back of the modem and that would entitle me to use the internet connection with ma ps3...

Tezcatlipoca
26-03-2007, 00:49
Thank you for your reply, I don't have any probs with not using the PC at the same time (I knew I wouldn't anyway) it's only while I think about a different solution.

No prob.

I'm getting a PS3 soon and would also like to connect it to the internet... i have a modem which is a Motorolla SB4200 Surfboard modem.. so could i just run a ethernet cable from the PS3 to the back of the modem and that would entitle me to use the internet connection with ma ps3...

Yep. Same as above.

Just turn the modem on & off again when you swap from PC to PS3 or PS3 to PC, as in the link I posted.

MacmillaN
26-03-2007, 03:38
Ok Thanks Matt D...
Also atm i connect to the pc using USB
Why?? you may ask telewest blueyonder used that when they installed it awhile back...lol...

would i need to unplug that cable before i connect the ethernet cable to the modem...?

Tezcatlipoca
26-03-2007, 23:33
Yep, you'd need to disconnect the USB before hooking the PS3 to the modem's ethernet port.

See http://homepage.ntlworld.com/robin.d.h.walker/cmtips/usb.html#usbswap

If you have an ethernet port on your PC, you'd be better off using that instead of USB (& if you don't have one, ethernet cards are very cheap). And, if you used ethernet for the PC, you could then get a router, & remove the need to swap leads & reboot the modem.

MacmillaN
27-03-2007, 02:44
the site above isen't working and what gets me is why diden't telewest connect it using ethernet when they installed it.....

Tezcatlipoca
27-03-2007, 13:55
Hmm, the link works for me.

Anyway, the procedure is simple :)

Just turn it all off, disconnect the USB lead from the modem, connect the ethernet lead from the modem to the PS3, then turn on the modem & let it boot, then turn on the PS3.

Also, Telewest used to at one point require that you register the MAC address of every device you want to connect to the modem (via a page on the TW website I think)... I'm not sure if it's still the same now with ex-Telewest parts of Virgin, but I don't think so.

awibble
27-03-2007, 14:02
Also, Telewest used to at one point require that you register the MAC address of every device you want to connect to the modem (via a page on the TW website I think)... I'm not sure if it's still the same now with ex-Telewest parts of Virgin, but I don't think so.

Im on ex telewest... havent had to tell them the Mac addresses of anything yet. (except the first install)

Tezcatlipoca
27-03-2007, 14:06
Cheers, they must have dropped it a while back then :tu:

MacmillaN
28-03-2007, 17:09
i followed Matt D's advice above about connecting the ps3 to my modem but for some reason it isen't working can someone help me out....

Tezcatlipoca
28-03-2007, 23:41
Hmm, well it should work.

See these:

http://www.virginmedia.com/help/ethernet/index.php

http://help2.virginmedia.com/help/getContent.jspx?page=h_broadband_advanced_cablemod em

Basically the same info as before, but also mentions releasing the PC's IP address first [can help some people sometimes, although I never found it necessary myself]. Also try leaving the modem off for a bit longer...maybe 5 minutes.

Do you have a different ethernet cable you could try? [perhaps the one you tried is duff]

Your PC has an ethernet port doesn't it? Try swapping from using USB for the PC to ethernet for the PC....[help rule in/out the PS3's ethernet port being the problem]

If trying different leads doesn't work, & trying the PC's ethernet doesn't work, then perhaps the ethernet port on the modem is faulty...

MacmillaN
29-03-2007, 00:24
the funny think is awhile ago i tried to stop using the usb cable to connect my pc to the internet and it wouldent work ethier....

i did try the new ethernet cable that came with the PS3 and the one that came with the modem when it got installed and nothing...

I tryed connecting the ps3 straight to the modem and then i tryed the other way you suggested by still using the usb to connect to the pc but run the ethernet cable from pc to Ps3....

Do you think i should phone Virgin Media and say there seems to be a problem with the modem you supplied me...? i have a motorolla disk the surfbord cable modem install cd or do i not need to use it?

Tezcatlipoca
29-03-2007, 00:34
You don't need the install cd for the modem... it's just for the USB drivers for the PC.

Maybe your modem does have a knackered ethernet port then...

If you do phone them up, I wouldn't bother mentioning the PS3, as they'll probably focus on that & just say "Sorry, we do not support the PS3". Just say you've tried to get the PC to connect via ethernet & it won't work.

MacmillaN
29-03-2007, 00:57
might phone them... also someone told me i could use this PSP Wifi Max thing in order to get onto the net... no idea if this is true though

awibble
29-03-2007, 08:08
you wil only be able to use Wifi Max if you have a wireless router.

Sounds like a modem problem, i plugged my PS3 in, rebooted the modem and it worked first time.

MacmillaN
29-03-2007, 13:04
yea guess ill phone them and say my ethernet port on the modem isen't working.... should i also tell them i connect via USB but was trying to switch to ethernet and it wasent working...

Will they send out a new modem or will they send a engineer to look first?

MacmillaN
30-03-2007, 01:02
Just thought i would say i managed to solve the connection issues to the PS3 by updating the firmware using a mem stick card i managed to get online via ethernet....

and i also noticed when i connect ma pc to the modem using ethernet the cable ends flash when the comps turned off and the online activity light flashes...

Tezcatlipoca
30-03-2007, 01:31
Ah, solved then :tu: :)

I wouldn't worry about the activity light.

awibble
30-03-2007, 08:09
Just thought i would say i managed to solve the connection issues to the PS3 by updating the firmware using a mem stick card i managed to get online via ethernet....

and i also noticed when i connect ma pc to the modem using ethernet the cable ends flash when the comps turned off and the online activity light flashes...

Strange... What modem do you have?
I wonder what was causing it... only intrested because mine was lirally plug and play.

MacmillaN
30-03-2007, 18:58
modem is a Motorolla SB4200 Surfboard modem which is connected to PC using USB...

Raindancer
30-03-2007, 23:42
Hello, i need a lill advise please. My telewest broadband modem is on one side of my room connected to the Pc, and my TV is at the other side of the room connected to my PS3 and Telewest box.

I dont really want a wireless router. And dont really want a long wire dragging accross the room, so..... ...

If i brought a router (Need advice on which one to buy) and unplugged the cable from the back of my telewest TV box and stuck it into a router and then plugged my PS3 into that router, would it work?

Many thanks, look forward to your answers

Tod
02-04-2007, 09:47
Hello, i need a lill advise please. My telewest broadband modem is on one side of my room connected to the Pc, and my TV is at the other side of the room connected to my PS3 and Telewest box.

I dont really want a wireless router. And dont really want a long wire dragging accross the room, so..... ...

If i brought a router (Need advice on which one to buy) and unplugged the cable from the back of my telewest TV box and stuck it into a router and then plugged my PS3 into that router, would it work?

Many thanks, look forward to your answers

You can not plug anything into your TV box cable to give you internet access, you are best off buying a wireless router to plug in at the pc end.

Raindancer
03-04-2007, 00:57
I thought as much.

Okay how about this. My Motorola modem is connected to my PC via a USB cable, what if i connected the ethernet cable from my PS3 directly into my ethernet port on my PC, would i be able to gain access to the net that way?

Would that be using rthe PC as a router? OR any suggestions on where to buy a WIRED router. Everywhere seems to be WI-FI (where i live, i dont want wi-fi)

Thanks

Tezcatlipoca
03-04-2007, 01:19
Yep, you could connect the PS3's ethernet to the PC's ethernet, & set up Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) on the PC.

That would essentially be using the PC as a router.

However....

It means your PC always has to be on when you want to use the PS3 online.

And it's just not really as good as using a proper hardware NAT router.

Also, it would mean having a long cable going from one side of the room to the other, which you said you don't want.

Why don't you want WiFi where you live?

Amazon are often quite good for routers...I bought my last few from there.

As for actual router recommendations... have a look in the Networking forum. There've been some threads recently.

awibble
03-04-2007, 07:57
If you want to use ICS then you will need a crossover cable, not a patch cable which is what will be supplied as default.

IMO go wireless, if you use strong keys and lower the powerlevel to the antenna (some dont support this) you can make it so its only accessiable in your house.

icestar2
03-04-2007, 16:04
I run mine through ICS but luckily for me I had already set this up on my Xbox360 so it was just a matter or removing the cable from my 360 and plugging it into my PS3 and I was instantly online. PS3 is very easy to setup so was 360 just remember to get a crossover cable and enable ICS on your internet connection :)

Raindancer
06-04-2007, 00:54
Going to pick up a crossover cable in the morning. what's the browser like?

CPUfool
07-04-2007, 02:23
Can anyone help?

I'm having trouble keeping my CPU and my PS3 connected to the internet at the same time.

For the longest, I've disconnected the modem (let it reset) and then plugged in the PS3 and that worked fine. But today I decided I didn't want to do that anymore and bought a router (a 5 port Network Hub) model # NH1005-WM.

So, I plug everything up, but only the CPU connection works. PS3 is doing the same thing it did when I first bought it. It cannnot find the IP address. So, I decided to unplug the router from my CPU, reset the modem and try it that way. (THE OLD WAY)

That worked for about 5 minutes. Had both (CPU and PS3) running an internet connection at the same time. But, all of a sudden the CPU told me I had "limited connectivity" and now I'm back to square one.

My set up:

telephone wire >>> ARRIS Modem (mod# TM402P/110) >>> 5 port Network Hub (model # NH1005-WM) via ETHERNET CORD into UPLINK port >>> PS3 wired connection via ETHERNET CORD port 3 (not the 5th port that's disabled because of UPLINK)

Any suggestions? BTW, I don't want a wireless connection.

Tod
10-04-2007, 17:29
Can anyone help?

I'm having trouble keeping my CPU and my PS3 connected to the internet at the same time.

For the longest, I've disconnected the modem (let it reset) and then plugged in the PS3 and that worked fine. But today I decided I didn't want to do that anymore and bought a router (a 5 port Network Hub) model # NH1005-WM.

So, I plug everything up, but only the CPU connection works. PS3 is doing the same thing it did when I first bought it. It cannnot find the IP address. So, I decided to unplug the router from my CPU, reset the modem and try it that way. (THE OLD WAY)

That worked for about 5 minutes. Had both (CPU and PS3) running an internet connection at the same time. But, all of a sudden the CPU told me I had "limited connectivity" and now I'm back to square one.

My set up:

telephone wire >>> ARRIS Modem (mod# TM402P/110) >>> 5 port Network Hub (model # NH1005-WM) via ETHERNET CORD into UPLINK port >>> PS3 wired connection via ETHERNET CORD port 3 (not the 5th port that's disabled because of UPLINK)

Any suggestions? BTW, I don't want a wireless connection.

You have brought a hub, not a router. A hub will not share your broadband between multiple items, only a router will do this.

Slyone
10-04-2007, 18:30
Successfully connected my PS3 to my BB wirelessly. My PC has an ASUS mobo which comes with an intergrated WIFI AP antenea, it took some fiddling but it's working great. D/l 'flow' from the store, it's a weird game and the way you control your little 'creature' is just wicked if it does take some getting used to. At the mo I'm d/l GT HD for free! and next up is the lemmings d/l.

awibble
10-04-2007, 18:32
You have brought a hub, not a router. A hub will not share your broadband between multiple items, only a router will do this.

Sorry? a Hub wont share it? Not sure you know what a hub is... Its basically a Dumb Switch.

Limited connectivity sounds like something that would come up with the wireless not the hardwire.

Was your connection still working when it said it was limited?

The hub should do you just fine, a switch would of givven you better performance, as its slightly more intelegent, but the hub should work.

mattp
10-04-2007, 20:52
Please explain how a hub would work correctly? The only way i can think is if you set the ip address of the host machine to an ip address in the same subnet as the Broadband address which would of course be wrong as you would be using a public address.

If it is only working for 5 minutes or so then there is probably to many collisions on the port and it is shutting down. I would get your self a router and save your self some time

Tezcatlipoca
10-04-2007, 21:21
Sorry? a Hub wont share it? Not sure you know what a hub is... Its basically a Dumb Switch.

Limited connectivity sounds like something that would come up with the wireless not the hardwire.

Was your connection still working when it said it was limited?

The hub should do you just fine, a switch would of givven you better performance, as its slightly more intelegent, but the hub should work.

Modem > Hub > Devices will not work.

A hub cannot share a single-IP connection.

If the modem was connected to the PC, the PC had ICS enabled, the PC was connected to the hub, & then other devices were connected from the hub, that would work.

But connecting everything to the hub, & connecting the hub to the modem, will not work.

j0nathan
27-08-2007, 08:56
I have a Motorola SB5100 Surfboard Cable modem and I connected my ps3 to it. I turned off the modem before I switched it over to ps3 and it said connection error occured (80130504). What am I doing wrong?

luke123
04-10-2007, 16:19
can any help: i got a ps3 and i want to play online what do i need, i dont want wireless. all i have is a laptop a BT phone line and a adsl modem how do i start????

icestar2
04-10-2007, 16:32
If you want to setup your PS3 wired then look at this link it will walk you through the setup steps.

http://manuals.playstation.net/document/en/ps3/current/settings/connectwired.html

and This one

http://manuals.playstation.net/document/en/ps3/current/settings/connectadvance.html

luke123
04-10-2007, 16:53
do i need a router if so does it have to be expensive? can u get a normal router ? eg with out wirless or a modem if that makes sense as im a novice.

mixunio
16-10-2007, 21:58
hi im getin my ps3 soon and i got this idea of connecting it to internet...

thats how it is now:

(ignore the "#" its just so the layout looks like it should)

#######virginmedia cable tele
#########/
box in the wall
########\
#####coax cable to my motorola surfboard modem which connects to pc

what id like to do:

#######virginmedia cable tele
##########/
Box in the wall
#########|____________________
#########|################\
#########|#################\
coax cable to modem > comp#####coax cable > Modem > playstation

i already got 2 modems anyway so it would be just the case of getin the cables and installing it all...
the question is do u think it will work

thank you

reaper6135
27-12-2007, 04:19
i got a ps3 yesterday. i have a wireless connection ( netgear)that ive been trying to hook the ps3 up to . i enter all the information manually the ip address the primary dns server and the subnet stuff. after i test connection it gets the ip address then it trys to get the internet connection and then it says failed and at the bottom it reads this is dns server error. i dont know what to do

icestar2
27-12-2007, 15:16
i got a ps3 yesterday. i have a wireless connection ( netgear)that ive been trying to hook the ps3 up to . i enter all the information manually the ip address the primary dns server and the subnet stuff. after i test connection it gets the ip address then it trys to get the internet connection and then it says failed and at the bottom it reads this is dns server error. i dont know what to do

Sure you have the right ip for the DNS server ? Try adding both the primary and secondry if you can. I used the automatic setup so it gathered al that information itself. Can you not try that ?

churchy
29-12-2007, 11:01
hi,

i'm all pretty new to this, but i am looking for your help.

Just got a PS3 today, it came with my new HD TV, the problem i have is.....

my HD TV and Virgin Box are downstairs, and my PC is upstairs with a wired connection..

the virgin box ethernet, goes from the digi box into a box in the wall, up the side of my house, and into my room upstairs where my pc is.

my PS3 will be downstairs next to my digi box, so i was wondering how i connect it to the digi box? do i just unplug the ethernet cable, and put another ethernet cable going from my PS3 to my digi box, and restart my digi box?

thank you for your help.

Tinny448
25-01-2008, 19:12
Hi im on virgin cable bb, i can connect me ps to the net swapping my pc and ps cables the way it was posted on here but i wasjust wondering if anyone could tell me the best wireless router to get for this so i can use both without slowing any of them down also if the wifi connection would work from downstairs to up? I am looking for the cheapest way of doing this but dont want a crap bit of tak??

Tezcatlipoca
25-01-2008, 23:24
The Linksys WRT54GL is often recommended by people here:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Linksys-WRT54GL-UK-Wireless-Access-Router/dp/B000ETX928/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1201303407&sr=1-3

Tinny448
26-01-2008, 10:17
Cheers for the recommendation, so if i buy this router i will be able to use both my pc and ps3at same time in seperate rooms?? also how does the pc connect? does it still stay connected in the back of my normal modem? Im not to clever when it comes to routers etc as ive never used one.

Stuart
26-01-2008, 11:51
You connect the router to the modem, then the PC, PS3 and any other devices you want to connect to the router.

chris135
03-02-2008, 13:07
Hi, I recently got a PS3. I Have a wired Netgear router which is connected to my i-mac computer. The router has 3 spare Lan ports. Can I connect an ethernet cable from one of these ports to an access point device? Will this allow my PS3 to have a wireless connection from the access point device to the PS3? If I do connect an access point device, will I need to configure it to work? or will it automatically work via the router? ( I know that I have to make my PS3 scan for the access point). Also, can anyone recommend any access point devices? The PS3 will be in a different room approx 15 metres.

Any help or advice much appreciated! Chris135

Tod
05-02-2008, 09:07
Hi, I recently got a PS3. I Have a wired Netgear router which is connected to my i-mac computer. The router has 3 spare Lan ports. Can I connect an ethernet cable from one of these ports to an access point device? Will this allow my PS3 to have a wireless connection from the access point device to the PS3? If I do connect an access point device, will I need to configure it to work? or will it automatically work via the router? ( I know that I have to make my PS3 scan for the access point). Also, can anyone recommend any access point devices? The PS3 will be in a different room approx 15 metres.

Any help or advice much appreciated! Chris135

To be honest with you it will be cheaper (and a lot tidier) to buy a wireless router. You can get them for about £30 now.

chris135
05-02-2008, 19:50
Thanks for your reply Tod.

Yes, I agree this would be the neatest way. But, I remember when I bought my Netgear wired router and the trouble I had of trying to configure it. The thought of going through this again with a new wireless router puts me off a bit in taking this route again. Someone has told me about HomePlugs which use your home wiring to transfer data. Does anybody know anything about these and how well they work? Do they also work with my operating system on my computer - Mac OSX.

Tod
06-02-2008, 10:20
Thanks for your reply Tod.

Yes, I agree this would be the neatest way. But, I remember when I bought my Netgear wired router and the trouble I had of trying to configure it. The thought of going through this again with a new wireless router puts me off a bit in taking this route again. Someone has told me about HomePlugs which use your home wiring to transfer data. Does anybody know anything about these and how well they work? Do they also work with my operating system on my computer - Mac OSX.

I have got home plugs, and they are fantastic! I have these http://www.solwise.co.uk/net-powerline-pl-85pe.htm
which I brought from ebay.

Unfortunately it looks like the configuration software I have in the box does not work with MACs, but I am pretty sure they just plug in and go, you only need the software if you want to fiddle with security settings.

It is of course possible that they now come with MAC software, I have had mine about a year.

Damien
06-02-2008, 12:23
It is of course possible that they now come with MAC software, I have had mine about a year.

Mac not MAC, it doesnt stand for anything ;)

Tod
06-02-2008, 12:45
Mac not MAC, it doesnt stand for anything ;)

Quite right, I have always written it like that, not sure why!?

Damien
07-02-2008, 23:43
MAC is used for networking, you have properly had to deal with a 'MAC address' many times before, it stands for Media Access Control.

I guess it causes confusion, doesn't help that a lot of different places seem to think MAC stands for MACintosh :S

newband
08-02-2008, 16:42
Hi guys, new to forum but I need a little help. We recently added a PS3 to our network. I have a linksys WRT54GS router, with my main PC wired to it in port 1. I also have 2 other PCs in the house with wireless cards in them that connect up fine. All 3 PC's work together.

After adding the PS3 wirelessly then wired, once it is turned on and starts to look for the network, it consistantly kicks my wired PC off the network, for about 3 minutes. Once its connected and signed in, then I can connect back to the internet on my PC. It cannot be the number of devices as the first time I tried it the other PC's were not switched on. So any ideas what I may have done wrong. I also get NAT type 3, on the PS3 so in theory I cannot use the chat facility:(

andyandy
09-02-2008, 15:13
Hi guys, new to forum but I need a little help. We recently added a PS3 to our network. I have a linksys WRT54GS router, with my main PC wired to it in port 1. I also have 2 other PCs in the house with wireless cards in them that connect up fine. All 3 PC's work together.

After adding the PS3 wirelessly then wired, once it is turned on and starts to look for the network, it consistantly kicks my wired PC off the network, for about 3 minutes. Once its connected and signed in, then I can connect back to the internet on my PC. It cannot be the number of devices as the first time I tried it the other PC's were not switched on. So any ideas what I may have done wrong. I also get NAT type 3, on the PS3 so in theory I cannot use the chat facility:(

It could be that the IP address of the PS3 is conflicting with the wired PC.

How have you set the IP address settings on your router?

The only way I can set chat working on my PS3 is not manually assign an IP address and then place it in the DMZ, so it is 'outside' of the firewall.

andoi_25
02-04-2008, 06:03
hey guys

i'm trying to connect my ps3 to the internet through an ethernet cable from my PC's cable modem (Motorola SB5101 SURFboard). when i insert the ethernet cable into the PS3, a green light turns on, which i assume indicated there is an established connection. i've connected to the internet at a friends place wirelessly on the PS3 on previous occasions.

i set my internet connection settings on my PS3 to easy and set everything to automatic. but when i test the connection, it tells me "The attempt to obtain and IP Address timed out"

can someone help me out?

i also tried restarting the modem when i switch from my PC to the PS3 but that didn't work either >.<

Cerberus
02-04-2008, 11:39
hey guys

i'm trying to connect my ps3 to the internet through an ethernet cable from my PC's cable modem (Motorola SB5101 SURFboard). when i insert the ethernet cable into the PS3, a green light turns on, which i assume indicated there is an established connection. i've connected to the internet at a friends place wirelessly on the PS3 on previous occasions.

i set my internet connection settings on my PS3 to easy and set everything to automatic. but when i test the connection, it tells me "The attempt to obtain and IP Address timed out"

can someone help me out?

i also tried restarting the modem when i switch from my PC to the PS3 but that didn't work either >.<

:welcome:

Try manually editing the settings within the PS3 Network Settings. It may well be set to still pick up a Wireless signal and not access through a Wired connection.

Go to the PS3's XMB and into Sytem Settings. Scroll down for the internet settings and you should be able to manually change them. If given the option between wired and wireless, select Wired.

If you have no joy, pop back and let us know.

The other thing maybe that if you're switching between connecting your PS3 and PC to the modem, every time you switch, you will neeed to power down the modem for about 30 seconds and then switch it back on before conencting either the PS3 or PC.

If this is the case. I suggest you get a wireless router/wired router.

andoi_25
02-04-2008, 12:25
:welcome:

Try manually editing the settings within the PS3 Network Settings. It may well be set to still pick up a Wireless signal and not access through a Wired connection.

Go to the PS3's XMB and into Sytem Settings. Scroll down for the internet settings and you should be able to manually change them. If given the option between wired and wireless, select Wired.

The other thing maybe that if you're switching between connecting your PS3 and PC to the modem, every time you switch, you will neeed to power down the modem for about 30 seconds and then switch it back on before conencting either the PS3 or PC.

oh yeah that worked. thanks a heap! i didn't turn off the modem completely when i switched from my PC to the PS3! thanks and keep up the good work

: D

Andrew

Cerberus
02-04-2008, 12:29
oh yeah that worked. thanks a heap! i didn't turn off the modem completely when i switched from my PC to the PS3! thanks and keep up the good work

: D

Andrew

Not a problem at all. Glad I could help and glad you got it sorted. Like I said, you will be better off either buying a network hub/switch or a wired/wireless router.

5 Port Ethernet Switch (http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=NW-099-NG)

Wireless Router (http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=NW-012-BE&groupid=46&catid=1014&subcat=)

Both are pretty cheap. This will save you powering down the modem every time you want to switch between the PC and PS3. :tu:

Ps3Fan2008
21-05-2008, 10:58
Hi, hopefully someone can help me! My ps3 and computer are on different levels of my house so a wired connection is'nt possible, I went to the wireless network setup wizard on the control panel on the computer and I saved the network settings to a flash usb drive. So far so good! It then told me to plug the usb drive first into the wireless router then whichever computer I wanted to add to the network and then back into the computer, easy, except when I went to plug the usb into the router there was a slot labled usb but it wasn't usb shape. What do I need to plug my usb into the router? Its a BT Voyager 2091 Wireless ADSL Router,

Phildanutter
25-05-2008, 06:09
Hello, I've got a wired Netgear DG632 ADSL Modem Router and every time i try to connect via an ethernet cable with my ps3 it obtains an i.p. address then says DNS error. is this due to the router's firewall or am i just not doing things right somewhere? cheers in advance.

Graham M
25-05-2008, 11:09
Hi, hopefully someone can help me! My ps3 and computer are on different levels of my house so a wired connection is'nt possible, I went to the wireless network setup wizard on the control panel on the computer and I saved the network settings to a flash usb drive. So far so good! It then told me to plug the usb drive first into the wireless router then whichever computer I wanted to add to the network and then back into the computer, easy, except when I went to plug the usb into the router there was a slot labled usb but it wasn't usb shape. What do I need to plug my usb into the router? Its a BT Voyager 2091 Wireless ADSL Router,

What...?

rudge
26-05-2008, 20:44
;):welcome:

hi i have the same modem and set up with out a router but cant still get online and i dont understand switching from pc ps3 if you could help it would be much appreciated.thanks rudge

battyier
22-06-2008, 01:06
:confused:hi ppl right my ps3 ethernet cable fits into the back of my computer but i got told that its not supposed to be there and i have a wired connection and their isnt a slot for a ethernt plug in my modem what do i do??:td:

Wiicked_xD
02-11-2008, 14:37
Hi there, I'm going to buy a ps3 tomorrow.
And i would like to know can i connect a ps3 to the internet via. a regular lan cable?
(a cable like the one i use for computer internet)

I hope you guys can help thx anyway

icestar2
02-11-2008, 14:51
Hi there, I'm going to buy a ps3 tomorrow.
And i would like to know can i connect a ps3 to the internet via. a regular lan cable?
(a cable like the one i use for computer internet)

I hope you guys can help thx anyway

Depends on how you want it setup and if you want PC internet at the same time but if not then yes the Ethernet cable from your Modem to your PC will work fine if you put it in your PS3.

Wiicked_xD
11-11-2008, 18:13
Thanks for reply'ing me..I'm stuck in assassins creed in my room and i can't interact..Hope you can help guys thx::angel:

fordey123
18-11-2008, 09:07
Guys I recently moved into new flat which has no internet, My flat mate is being tight so doesn't want to chip in. Just bought a PS3 and want to connect it up to the internet. Does anyone know if I can use one of these USM Modem sticks to connect the PS3 up to the net, also want to part take in a bit of on line gaming. Please help!

24gordonnelson@g
16-05-2010, 19:08
Ok I just recently tried to connect my ps3 to the internet but it knows it's there but won't acess it. Help? and I have mediacom if that says anything

Fitze73
17-05-2010, 14:41
Thanks for reply'ing me..I'm stuck in assassins creed in my room and i can't interact..Hope you can help guys thx::angel:

whats yr psn m8 mine is jethrotull1973

marcogiacobbe
29-03-2011, 20:23
Hello all....really hoping someone can help me!! Unable to connect my PS3 to the internet via wired Virgin Media modem (ethernet connection). When trying to set up it states that it is unable to find IP address. Any ideas??

Thanks

Tod
31-03-2011, 23:00
Hello all....really hoping someone can help me!! Unable to connect my PS3 to the internet via wired Virgin Media modem (ethernet connection). When trying to set up it states that it is unable to find IP address. Any ideas??

Thanks

Have you switched the virgin modem off and on since plugging in the PS3 - otherwise it will not work.

craigj2k12
04-04-2011, 11:44
every time you change the device plugged into the modem, you need to re-start the modem