PDA

View Full Version : Memories of the miners strikes?

Action Jackson
23-03-2007, 15:31
Reading about Maggie getting her own movie mad me reminisce about some of her greater achievements e.g. poll tax, eradication of council homes and closure of Britain's mines. This made me think about the miners strikes.

Being from a white collar family I didn't have to endure any hardships during this time but had friends whose fathers were miners who suffered greatly.

One of my memories was when the milkman couldn't leave the milk on the doorstep because the kids of striking miners would be sent out to pinch it, so they would leave it round the back or behind your bin. My old man was continually chasing these kids who got wise to where the milk was being stashed.

Being kids, and the fact that kids are cruel, we would make up songs for the miners kids who were queuing for free lunch tickets. "They're tinky and they're smelly and they can't afford a telly, it's the <insert family name> fa-mi-lee".

Looking back on it, I'm not proud, but it seemed funny at the time.

Anyone else got any fond memories of the miners strikes?

Nugget
23-03-2007, 16:37
At risk of being rude (and probably taking this off-topic at the first attempt :D ), how does the Poll Tax count as one of Thatchers greatest achievements? Not only did it spark riots, but it didn't even hang around long enough to leave a bad smell :shrug:

zing_deleted
23-03-2007, 16:38
It did if you didnt pay it and the bailiffs were still after you 5 years later ;)

Nugget
23-03-2007, 16:39
It did if you didnt pay it and the bailiffs were still after you 5 years later ;)

Well obviously, but that was your own fault for being a) stupid, or b) poor ;)

Nidge
23-03-2007, 18:55
Reading about Maggie getting her own movie mad me reminisce about some of her greater achievements e.g. poll tax, eradication of council homes and closure of Britain's mines. This made me think about the miners strikes.

Being from a white collar family I didn't have to endure any hardships during this time but had friends whose fathers were miners who suffered greatly.

One of my memories was when the milkman couldn't leave the milk on the doorstep because the kids of striking miners would be sent out to pinch it, so they would leave it round the back or behind your bin. My old man was continually chasing these kids who got wise to where the milk was being stashed.

Being kids, and the fact that kids are cruel, we would make up songs for the miners kids who were queuing for free lunch tickets. "They're tinky and they're smelly and they can't afford a telly, it's the <insert family name> fa-mi-lee".

Looking back on it, I'm not proud, but it seemed funny at the time.

Anyone else got any fond memories of the miners strikes?

Yeah I rememebr getting my car stoned when I ws going to work at 4am in the morning, the Yorkshire lot were hid behind some trees near to the pit where I worked, all of a sudden there was an almighty bang, I notices stones were being thrown, I just floored the car to get out of the way, these so called flying pickets sent by the NUM in Yorkshire were only intrested in one thing, that was trouble.

jkat
23-03-2007, 19:04
yes i have memories of the miners strike as an ex miner and a money steward during the strike. lots of bullsh@t abounds nowadays, does anyone remember the "silver fox" biggest scab/crook i ever knew besides thatch.;)

greencreeper
23-03-2007, 20:29
I remember. We gave them moral support - don't think we gave any (major) financial support, but I was too young so cannot recall. My family were pretty poor anyway - working class. I know one of the miners was a good friend - used to come round regularly. Were tough times. I've still got, somewhere, a few badges that were ripped from officers' uniforms during scuffles. I can't believe the old bat is still alive. She never was normal though.