PDA

View Full Version : STB lost internet info + strange thing

shibby
23-03-2007, 00:37
Ok on Tuesday night, all of a sudden my net went down. So first thoughts was the router. Restarted, then all of a sudden I’m greeted with an NTL page asking for my PID and Password.
We phoned up because the password was not working, and was set to something different. However, this was sorted in seconds with the help of the service support. Can the STB just loose this information for no reason?
We suspect it was VM playing around, as there have been area faults.

On the Tuesday VM was trying to sell us 10 meg plus V+ and a normal V Box.
My dad didn't go with the offer as these past few weeks we had nothing but problems. So he refused to even consider upgrading due to faults and poor service.

Then on the Wednesday we had a letter telling us thank you for selecting VM Broadband, and gave us new PID and Serial. In addition an engineer will be calling round.
We do not know why we got this letter, as the information does not match the details we inputted on the Tuesday night. So why the new details?

Can anyone shed any info on this?
I suspect my dad will have to phone VM on the weekend to find out why we got this letter.

Overall past few weeks we have been unhappy with VM.

---------- Post added at 00:37 ---------- Previous post was yesterday at 23:46 ----------

Also another question.
When VM was trying to sell the 10mb connection, we was told the bill for the internet would be seperate from the normal bill.
Is this really true?

Ok Now i'm really anoyed. It seems are 4mb connection is now a 2mb connection.
We are paying for 4mb(I'm pretty sure because we pay £15 and get £15 off because of poor service)
So the question we have got to ask is, WHY has it gone to 2mb and how long as it been 2mb.
Hopefully just the wrong config sent to us.
Dadums will not be best pleased :(

dbateman2k5
23-03-2007, 00:48
Also another question.
When VM was trying to sell the 10mb connection, we was told the bill for the internet would be seperate from the normal bill.
Is this really true?

This is true. SACM (Stand-Alone Cable Modem) broadband is billed via a different billing system to what the STB (Set-Top Box) is.

shibby
23-03-2007, 00:54
Ah thanks for that, that has cleared something up. At least we was given some information that she didn't get wrong.

AndyCambs
23-03-2007, 09:56
Broadband through STB was only offered to the ex-C&W areas (Bromley). Ex-NTL and ex-Telewest areas only ever had SACM.
As a process of standardisation, Virgin Media no longer offer broadband access through STB (one reason is that the Samsung boxes can't handle much more than the 4MB connections I believe), and I was upgraded to SACM when I had the V+ box installed, even though the broadband connection was from a Samsung box which was staying.

shibby
23-03-2007, 11:43
Everything is now sorted after an hour of fun on the phone.
The BB setting was downgraded on the 19th for an unknown reason.
And no one at VM could explain the new letter with different details.

mega_monty
23-03-2007, 20:51
Broadband through STB was only offered to the ex-C&W areas (Bromley). Ex-NTL and ex-Telewest areas only ever had SACM.
As a process of standardisation, Virgin Media no longer offer broadband access through STB (one reason is that the Samsung boxes can't handle much more than the 4MB connections I believe)

Broadband through STB was also available to Telewest customers around 2004 for their 256k broadband package as a self install through a Netgear Wireless kit and Pace STB which couldn't handle more than 1Mb connections.