PDA

View Full Version : Email sending limit?

markus
22-03-2007, 16:16
I have an opt in mailing list of around 2000 addresses. I occasionaly email a newsletter and have had no problems in the past.

Today I started a mail shot and after 20 or 30 emails they just start failing.

After speaking to some bloke in India today I finally got out of him that there was a 20 email per min. sending limit. This is obviously a croc as I seem to have to wait at least 10 mins before I can start getting emails out after they begin getting stopped.

At this rate it's going to take me days to get my mailing list out. It would help if I at least knew the true limits on sending email. The guy told me limits can not be raised and by that time I'd had enough. Anyone know what the limits are?

Also, is there any way to speak with someone who can actualy raise my sending limits (not in India)?

AndyCambs
22-03-2007, 16:46
Sounds like a spamming feature which is a good idea to be honest.

I'd also think that if you're sending out that number of emails - it's almost commercial basis and not residential.

markus
22-03-2007, 16:53
I'll increase the font size since you clearly can't see: OPT-IN. Thats not spam. And it's non profit. In fact with spam usually being 'unwanted, useless and crappy correspondence' I would take more care with your own posts.

If anyone else could please shed some light on this I would be gratefull.

Thanks.

Aragorn
22-03-2007, 16:59
Are you sending 2000 emails or one email to 2000 people?
If the former, why not the later? NTL's servers might be more tolerant of that. I can see why they might block large numbers of individual emails and I can't see them making an exception to a defacto rule.

MovedGoalPosts
22-03-2007, 17:00
No need to jump on someone just because you think they've misunderstood you.

You will be aware that many PC's get infected and can then be used to send out junk mail. Many ISPs are aware of this problem, and whether or not the list is opt in or not, spam filters commonly throw wobblies at any hint of mass mailing.

Your mailing may well be for a hobby or similar purposes which means it's quite legitimate for use over a residential service, however I can assure you that even if I was a legitimate recipient, I'd never get that mail from you as spam filters would have killed it off.

It's becoming very normal for mailing lists to have to be broken down into small groups, before sending. I personally haven't looked for any, but I'd expect there are programs out there that can send mails gradually over a period of time.

AndyCambs
22-03-2007, 17:12
No need to jump on someone just because you think they've misunderstood you.

You will be aware that many PC's get infected and can then be used to send out junk mail. Many ISPs are aware of this problem, and whether or not the list is opt in or not, spam filters commonly throw wobblies at any hint of mass mailing.

Your mailing may well be for a hobby or similar purposes which means it's quite legitimate for use over a residential service, however I can assure you that even if I was a legitimate recipient, I'd never get that mail from you as spam filters would have killed it off.

It's becoming very normal for mailing lists to have to be broken down into small groups, before sending. I personally haven't looked for any, but I'd expect there are programs out there that can send mails gradually over a period of time.

Thank you - as Rob pointed out, I'm just saying that if this is a feature, then it's a very useful feature introduced by Virgin Media to prevent ghost machines churning out spam.

slowcoach
22-03-2007, 17:17
opt-in with no opt-out, please sign me up and send me loads of crap every day, I can handle it.
Just wait till your address has been passed to all the spamming machines, you will rue the day you ever signed up, believe me. I just hope for your sake that you haven't used an E-mail address that you would like to use for your normal daily mail.
What goes round comes round :Yikes:

markus
22-03-2007, 17:23
Thanks for the response. I'm a bit testy as I've been at this all day. I'm sending 2000 emails seperatly. I have some software I bought years ago it wont send gradually. I'm not sure how to send a single email to many recipients but was told by NTL that this is also now resticted. Still, it might be a better option. Anyway, if I can find out what the NTL limits are maybe I can buy some new software. Like you say, most mail probably won't get through. It's a pitty that legitimate users have to put up with all this crap but I can understand why.

---------- Post added at 16:23 ---------- Previous post was at 16:19 ----------

opt-in with no opt-out, please sign me up and send me loads of crap every day, I can handle it.
Just wait till your address has been passed to all the spamming machines, you will rue the day you ever signed up, believe me. I just hope for your sake that you haven't used an E-mail address that you would like to use for your normal daily mail.
What goes round comes round

Yawn. There is an opt out. And I have done about 4 mail shots in three years.

Thanks for your help. :disturbd:

cybernetic_tiger
23-03-2007, 12:13
I can only think of two other options:

A) Run your own free mail server which will send the mail out to the www directly, you will need to check if your IP address is on any spam lists before you attempt this option.

B) You could pay for another mail service which would allow you unlimited sending and you would just need to change your smtp server address.

You cannot get round the limits on the VM mailserver as these are bound to your IP address and are there for a reason. These limits cannot be changed by faults / CS.

Ignatius
23-03-2007, 12:47
I can only think of two other options:

A) Run your own free mail server which will send the mail out to the www directly, you will need to check if your IP address is on any spam lists before you attempt this option.

B) You could pay for another mail service which would allow you unlimited sending and you would just need to change your smtp server address.

You cannot get round the limits on the VM mailserver as these are bound to your IP address and are there for a reason. These limits cannot be changed by faults / CS.

Alternatively, wouldn't google groups allow you to set this up, and also allow the group members to mail each other - thus forming a community of people who are interested in what you're publishing