PDA

View Full Version : Different IP Addresses

GaryCantley
22-03-2007, 13:59
Hi,

I am an IT engineer and was called out to one of your customers in Norwich. She was sent a modem as she wants to connect more than one PC at a time (was connecting through a pace box). I havent installed many NTL/Virgin boxes but do know what Im doing!

When I connect laptop to pace box (and onwards to internet) she gets a 84.xx.xx.xx ip address. When I change the wires around and put the modem in (not the pace box) I get a 213.xx.xx.xx address.

I can ping from the cmd prompt while using the modem but no applications will go through to the internet.

There are no firewall issues or virus issues and customer is running Win XP SP2.

Why am I picking up a different IP address when connecting via modem as opposed to pace box?

The intention is, once the modem is in place, to install a wired router so she can connect two PCs to her connection

Thanks

GaryCantley

Toto
22-03-2007, 14:12
The IP address is assigned to the device client MAC address and the modem MAC address, so it will be assigned a different IP address when you swap from the PACE STB and the Modem.

Has the customer had the modem registered yet on the Virgin network?

How did she get the modem?

bopdude
22-03-2007, 14:13
Hi and :welcome: to CF

I think you have your wires crossed, so to speak, CF isn't a part of VM so it isn't one of CF's customers ....lol

Secondly, AFAIK you are getting 2 different ip's because both bits of kit will have different mac addys with different ip's,,,,,,,,, thats just a guess on my part.

HTH

EDIT, beaten to it.......again, must type faster ....lol

dev
22-03-2007, 14:14
why not just connect the router to the pace STB? Although she'd be limited to 1mb then (assuming the 1mb limit still applies)

MovedGoalPosts
22-03-2007, 14:17
Nope get rid of the Pace STB. It's not up to the job. You need the modem. On first use it needs to be registered with the virgin servers. The customer should have been provided with the necessary instructions to do that. If you don't register correctly you'll setup a new account rather than transferring the old one. If necessary call VM to get you walked through that.

Aragorn
22-03-2007, 14:19
You can plug a cable router into the Pace ethernet port (not as fast as the CM). (you would need to browse to 'start.ntl' to get the router working via the STB)
Afaik, legit CM's will only be installed by NTL techs and need to be registered on the NTL network. How are you plugging this CM into the NTL network? If she has only had a Pace box 'til now she would only have one wall box for the cable signal, used for the Pace STB.

MovedGoalPosts
22-03-2007, 14:25
The former Telewest network has been using self install kits for some time. That may be spreading to the former ntl areas too.

GaryCantley
22-03-2007, 21:50
Thanks for the replies guys.

I believe, between all of you, you have nudged me in the right direction.

I havent registered the modem with VM (they did send it by courier to customer).

I have attempted to attach router to pace but wont take it, thats why I am now trying modem.

Thanks again

Gary