PDA

View Full Version : Help - Mother's phone service

Davo1
16-03-2007, 04:39
Hi,

Not sure if anyone can help me, as I have limited information to impart with my issue - but here goes...

I emigrated to Australia a few years back and therefore try to help my elderly mother with any issues she has from over here whenever I can.

Seems as though over a week ago, she lost her phone line and not knowing what to do, she got a neighbour to call up ntl without getting called back. After several more attempts, I understand ntl gave my Mum a new number she hadn't asked for (this was after a WEEK without a phone) and told her they didn't know if she would get her old number back, but that an engineer would physically call round that night but the engineer did not show.

My Mum lives in Dagenham, Essex, if that helps.

ntl have not offered any explanation as to why the number was cut and then replaced in teh first place, but being elderly, my Mum could really do with having her old number back.

I didn't think this was asking too much, and having spoken to her last night, thought this should be fairly straightforward. However, having read some of the horror stories on this forum, I'm now not so sure!

I guess the bottom line is that my Mum is elderly, is not au fait with technology, does not need to be having arguments with people at her stage of life, and does not want to have to update several external service providers (not to mention family) of a new telephone number if she can help it.

I think the service she has (hasn't ) received is disgusting. The fact that she is elderly and looks after my sick Dad makes it even worse for me to accept in case she had to contact anyone in an emergency, and I am feeling especially useless at the moment being so far away.

If anyone is able to assist I would be very grateful.

Thanks - Davo :)

MovedGoalPosts
21-03-2007, 19:10
:welcome: to Cable Forum :tu:

I've pulled this post out from the thread it had got lost and buried in. Specific issues deserve their own discussion ;)

Are you a named contact on your mother's account. If you aren't, whatever anyone tries to offer as assistance to you will fail at the first hurdle of Data Protection. Indeed I'm surprised a neighbour was able to "help".

Chances are whatever caused the number being dropped means that has now been reallocated into a database. Whether that can be resurrected I dunno. However a proper explanation would have been good.

colin-bennett
24-03-2007, 12:48
was the lost number a old BT number which came accross when your mom joined virgin ??. If not she can have the number back. Just ask for a restriction lift on the old number and within 3 days it will be allocated back with the old facilities.
Hope this helps.