PDA

View Full Version : Weird issue.

Graham M
21-03-2007, 11:01
OK this may or may not belong here, im not really sure

Anyway, I use VOIP and I had people telling me I was cutting out earlier so I decided to investigate and found I was getting about 10% Packet Loss.

So I phoned up Virgin to try and get it sorted and the phone was answered by a very friendly person from Mumbai (maybe not Mumbai... but anyway...) He checked the line and wasn't finding any Packet Loss, asked had I rebooted my Set Top Box, etc and so on and one of the things he suggested was to make sure I wasn't running any P2P software and I wasn't.

So then he started going on through the normal script and I told him to stop and went to check my brother's PC, which was, in fact, running uTorrent, but not using any massive Download (about 100kb/s) or Upload (about 0.9kb/s) but anyway I decided to try stopping it and the mysterious Packet Loss disappeared. And I cannot for the life of me think why.

Can anyone shed some light?
Thanks
Graham

punky
21-03-2007, 11:18
P2P generates massive amounts traffic, even when downloading/seeding very little.

For everything it downloads and seeds, it creates an enormous amount of traffic broadcasting to other peers. All P2P is like this, be it BitTorrent, Gnutella, or eDonkey.

You can cut it down a little by disabliing DHT, and reducing the amount of connections in your BT client.

Graham M
21-03-2007, 11:56
Yeah cheers for that I'll have a play later when Im not so reliant on my Internet Connection