PDA

View Full Version : oh dear another so called exclusive game (DMC4) jumps ship from the ps3

LostintheNW
20-03-2007, 19:03
http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/gaming/a44165/devil-may-cry-4-no-longer-ps3-exclusive.html

Uncle Peter
20-03-2007, 19:21
I think this is a logical step for developers and publishers as margins are shrinking in line with rising costs associated with developing next generation games. Tying a franchise exclusively to one particular platform can no longer be a sustainable practice for most third party developers

LostintheNW
20-03-2007, 19:23
Well considering DMC games have always been PS exclusive (bar the pc version capcom decided to release) its a turn up for the books they are shoving it out on the 360 as well.... surely its got nothing to do with the fact the machine is just a nightmare all around now has it

Uncle Peter
20-03-2007, 19:45
It's undoubtedly a factor as developers such as ID and Valve have publicly expressed their disappontment that Sony seem to have disregarded the developer in their architecture decisions.

I would hope for Sony's sake that they have an (exclusive) ace up their sleeve by Christmas.

LostintheNW
20-03-2007, 20:00
Going to have to be a big exclusive, i dont like seeing anyone fail but this is something they brought on themselves, i have a ps1 and ps2 and the machines are fantastic, bought both on day of release...this was going to be a machine i was going to get but cancelled pre-order when heard what they had done, and the fact everything is jumping ship on to other consoles.

Not a good sign when developers are doing this at all

Tezcatlipoca
20-03-2007, 22:15
:rofl:

I was about to start a thread on this, before I saw this one.

Another story:

http://uk.xbox360.ign.com/articles/774/774093p1.html

March 19, 2007 - Nothing seems to go Sony's way these days. One of the PlayStation 3's bigger exclusives, Devil May Cry 4, is also coming to Xbox 360 and PC. To pour salt into Sony's wounds, Capcom announced that the 360 version would release simultaneously with the PS3 edition.

(snip)

LostintheNW
21-03-2007, 09:32
Capcom must have been developing the 360 version alongside the ps3 one all the time then if they can release them at the same time ha ha. I wonder if they will have stuff online for us, seeing as Virtua Tennis 3 on the ps3 isn't even online playable which is shocking

Tod
21-03-2007, 09:49
Once the PS3 is out we will see less of this happening. Capcom are just bridging the gap in monies while waiting for the PS3 to come out.

Damien
21-03-2007, 10:01
The PS3 is all but out now. Its simply a indication of PS3 units sold vs the cost to the developer. With such a large installed base the 360 will get a lot of games as was the case with the PS2. The only two games that remain PS3 only are MGS and Tomb Raider 8 (hopefully Tomb raider 8 will come to 360 though since it has not been named as a PS3 exclusive)

LostintheNW
21-03-2007, 10:17
Once the PS3 is out we will see less of this happening. Capcom are just bridging the gap in monies while waiting for the PS3 to come out.
I don't get what you mean considering the machine is out in Japan and America. It seems they are just making sure they get the best for their games and keeping it a ps3 exclusive isn't the way forward given the poor performance of this thing at the moment.

I can't see Tomb Raider 8 being exclusive to the PS3 as legends came out on other formats and did well. And they can keep MGS seeing as we have the great Gears of War on the 360

Damien
21-03-2007, 10:47
MGS is the last PS3 game I want, I hope it switchs as well! Its the last one left :D

Tod
21-03-2007, 11:03
I don't get what you mean considering the machine is out in Japan and America. It seems they are just making sure they get the best for their games and keeping it a ps3 exclusive isn't the way forward given the poor performance of this thing at the moment.

Well I am hoping PS3 will have exclusives, or it will be held back by the inferior technologies of the other machines. I want to see PS3 utilised to it's full potential, not held back so it can work cross platform.

LostintheNW
21-03-2007, 11:07
Well I am hoping PS3 will have exclusives, or it will be held back by the inferior technologies of the other machines. I want to see PS3 utilised to it's full potential, not held back so it can work cross platform.

Inferior technologies? again you are not making sense. This machine is not more technologically advanced than say the 360 at all - games are not held back to work cross platform either, they are developed to make the best use of the machines they are going on. The majority of so called exclusives have jumped ship seeing as the machine hasn't sold as well as Sony first though

Damien
21-03-2007, 11:15

The PS3 is not really more powerful than the 360, in theory it has a better processor but it has a worse graphic card and memory usage.

Tod
21-03-2007, 11:19
Inferior technologies? again you are not making sense. This machine is not more technologically advanced than say the 360 at all - games are not held back to work cross platform either, they are developed to make the best use of the machines they are going on. The majority of so called exclusives have jumped ship seeing as the machine hasn't sold as well as Sony first though

I hope you are right, and games are not just ported across the platforms. It's not worth arguing over "which is best", but I want developers putting their all into the console I am buying and utilising it to it's full potential.

Kellargh
21-03-2007, 12:27
'Which is best' isn't an argument over what technology is in it, but what the people actually want. At the end of it all, it's down to enjoyment, not the blueray functions etc...more than half of the population don't even know what that is.

Tod
21-03-2007, 15:36
'Which is best' isn't an argument over what technology is in it, but what the people actually want. At the end of it all, it's down to enjoyment, not the blueray functions etc...more than half of the population don't even know what that is.

Half the reason I want it is for the blue-ray functions.

LostintheNW
21-03-2007, 15:53

What functions...it plays blu-ray games and blu-ray films...not anything else it can actually do.

Plus Blu-ray is slow to be accessed...and funnily enough the machine they have in Virgin up here was slow as anything and actually crashed due to over heating oops

Damien
21-03-2007, 17:51
What functions...it plays blu-ray games and blu-ray films...not anything else it can actually do.

Plus Blu-ray is slow to be accessed...and funnily enough the machine they have in Virgin up here was slow as anything and actually crashed due to over heating oops

Actually, I dont think thats Blu-Ray is it? That can be accessed in many speeds its only the PS3 which has the low read rate on it?

---------- Post added at 17:51 ---------- Previous post was at 17:48 ----------

Maybe you should wait then? There are not that many blu-ray releases yet so it might be good to wait until there are. By then the players will be cheaper (as will writers) and of better quality. In 3 years time the playback functions will be dated

Nugget
21-03-2007, 22:09

You'll be knackered if the industry goes for HD-DVD then ;)

awibble
22-03-2007, 07:39
You'll be knackered if the industry goes for HD-DVD then ;)

Which with current stats is unlikly

LostintheNW
22-03-2007, 10:56
Which with current stats is unlikly

I'd say it was still too early to tell, although with the PS3 having a bad time it could be a bit of a set back for blu-ray

awibble
22-03-2007, 11:12
I'd say it was still too early to tell, although with the PS3 having a bad time it could be a bit of a set back for blu-ray

Could be, but last i checked blu-ray had a lot more supporters and disk wise was outselling HDDVD....

Also my local asda, had3 titles in for HDDVD (with room for one more) and about 10 titles in for Blu-Ray with room for half a dozen more.

Its of course too early to tell, but with a couple of million blu-ray players in the PS3's around the world already, its got a good chance.

LostintheNW
22-03-2007, 11:48
Could be, but last i checked blu-ray had a lot more supporters and disk wise was outselling HDDVD....

Also my local asda, had3 titles in for HDDVD (with room for one more) and about 10 titles in for Blu-Ray with room for half a dozen more.

Its of course too early to tell, but with a couple of million blu-ray players in the PS3's around the world already, its got a good chance.

Most stores I have been in have more HD-DVD than Blu-ray and well with over 8 million plus xbox-360's sold with a nice HD-DVD add on that people can buy if they so wish...thats a big start as well, plus the PS3 is very slow reading the discs themselves so thats not great.

Time will tell which one will win, but wouldn't surprise me if both win out in the end.

awibble
22-03-2007, 12:02
Would be nice to know how many HD drives where sold...

i know http://www.dvdempire.com/Content/Features/hidef_wars.asp and
http://www.eproductwars.com/dvd/index.cfm

give a good over view of the race.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_high_definition_optical_disc_formats
also has some cool infomation

Total HD sounds cool tho, if it works :)

Tod
22-03-2007, 16:11
Maybe you should wait then? There are not that many blu-ray releases yet so it might be good to wait until there are. By then the players will be cheaper (as will writers) and of better quality. In 3 years time the playback functions will be dated

I did say HALF the reason!