PDA

View Full Version : Over subscribed ;(

Benson
19-03-2007, 16:26
For the past couple of days as soon as it get to around 3pm my connection just drops right off.I am on 10mb but the average download speed after 3pm is 14-30kbps till around 1am then it jumps to a whooping 2300kbps (As reported on this forum by many users receiving 20mb in my area preston/blackpool).

I rang tech support as this has been going on for sometime but has now got to the point where even web browsing is becoming stressfull as i am sat waiting 20secs per page to load.

The tech support guy ran all the usual test which i had already gone through myself several times he put me on hold for a min or 2 and came back and said he was sorry to advise there is a "TX issue" in my area and that it is heavyly over subscribed but there is wrok due to be carried out on wednesday to ease this issue.

Anyone else hearing of similar issues? And is there anyone that could look at this for me to see if there is any truth in it of am i being brushed off?

Area:01 - Postcode:Pr1

TheFuz
19-03-2007, 16:32
I'm in Leicester and am having the same problems, pages can take ages, speed test barely get started ( btw the best speed I saw today when it did work was 0.8Mbps ).
There is so-called planned maintenance but there is no info as to where is affected. Things have definately gone downhill since we inherited Virgin's customer base.

Seriously thinking of going ADSL
:td: :td: :td: :td: :td: :td:

Hex
19-03-2007, 16:37
That's odd, what part of Leicester are you from? LE2 is just fine for me, and from most of the feedback I've seen on here, most other parts of Leicester a good too.

mart18
19-03-2007, 20:44
Had an engineer out again this morning, Conenction was fine, he was so helpful and very talkative which is unusla for mst of the miserable people yu get, anyway... connetion started playing up earlier and it just went off, come back on, and got speed at around 0.5meg, rung customer services and was instantly told that my UBR was over subscribed, me being me was intimidating them asking why they do it if they know its gona cause problems, after 2 weeks of crappy connections and consistent phone calls to CS, faults wateva, i finally get the truth, but they don't know when its going to be fixed, she just said soon... :td: :confused:
postcode area DA1

Benson
22-03-2007, 14:12
After 2 days offline they have completed the upgrade ready for the 20mb rollout i did a quick download from newsgroups and got a around a constant 2800KB/s download and a upload of around 100 -110KB/s

http://img120.imageshack.us/my.php?image=untitledtodayet5.jpg

Although my speeds now seem to be 20mb there is still no change in the config details of my modem.

Link to screenie as img tag doesnt seem to be working:

http://img120.imageshack.us/my.php?image=untitledtodayet5.jpg

Benson
22-03-2007, 19:08
Download Failed (1) (http://img120.imageshack.us/my.php?image=untitledtodayet5.jpg)

janipewter
22-03-2007, 19:23
Benson, that's a little off-topic don't you think, taking into consideration you've already made a topic with those 2 exact posts in?

Benson
22-03-2007, 20:55
Benson, that's a little off-topic don't you think, taking into consideration you've already made a topic with those 2 exact posts in?

Why is it off topic originally i posted to state that Virgin had over subscribed my area and were carrying out a upgrade.Now the upgrade is complete i posted what speeds i am getting so thats not off topic is it?

And the other topic the original poster created a thread regarding him getting speeds of 25mb,as i also am getting the same sorts of speeds and live in the same area me making a post there is also related.

I posted the screenshot there also because not everyone reads every thread and as i stated it was related.

Anything else to add? i did not relise you were the forum police and your post was pure spam:mad:

shadyrome
22-03-2007, 22:43
Having problems here at warrington aswell, i get 10mb at the morning and sometimes afternoon (even tho i am on 4mb broadband) then at night and afternoon i get 3mb broadband dling at 300kb at max..

Druchii
22-03-2007, 23:50
Problems in Doncaster too, get 10Mb almost solid at 1am, any other time it varies from 0.2Mb to 6.5Mb. Even at 6am it's struggling to go past 7 :(

Over-subscription is no fun.

Carpetmonster
23-03-2007, 11:44
I've been having similar problems too which I assume are due to my area being over subscribed. During the day it's fine - I connect to my Debian linux box at home and test the speeds pulling Debian ISOs from various mirrors around the country at full speed. Repeat the same thing in the afternoon/evening and the speeds have dropped off considerably.

Anyone else in Oxford experiencing the same? (Thought it might be better over Easter with many students now gone, but it isn't). When can I see which areas are due to be upgraded or undergo maintenance work?

shadyrome
24-03-2007, 01:36
How will virgin media fix this? or its impossible?

Druchii
24-03-2007, 13:17
How will virgin media fix this? or its impossible?
Just requires the installation of newer/more equipment. Their core network can easily take it, just the smaller parts that branch off from it that can't for now... :)

nipple
24-03-2007, 17:07
Same with me but ........................now I'm free :)

Telewest/virgin, to be fair to them, admitted that they knew my area was oversubscribed, ordered new kit back in Sept/Oct last year but, "no, we can't tell you when your connection will improve"

I have said goodbye and asked them to let me know when they do get around to being able to offer me more than a 15 - 25k on a 4mb connection in the evenings.

Now have a banging ADSL office max connection with Vivaciti and anything less than 2mb is considered a fault! It's just wonderful to get instant webpages/low pings and so far, never less than 4mb during the evenings :)

I would rather have a guaranteed MINIMUM speed than a pie in the sky max speed. Makes me laugh, I get much better speeds from
http://gamefiles.virginmedia.com/blueyondergames/demos/
on adsl than I did from my cable - lol :D

Redbull69
24-03-2007, 18:46
I have had problems of this nature since Christmas, I have tried ringing probably about 10 - 15 times just for updates but have been lied to with dates when they propose to remedy, 3 dates that have been given have passed, i wish they would just be upfront and honest with me, i would respect that more. I intend to get every penny i have paid for 10Mb back when its finally repaired.