PDA

View Full Version : Static IP + Reverse DNS

dunkyb
19-03-2007, 16:03
Hi,

A colleague mentioned to me that Virgin Media offer a static IP address
and ability to change the reverse DNS on cable connections now?

Is there any truth in this claim? If so how do you go about
acquiring this?

I know the IP address rarely changes anyway, but would be nice to have
a totally static IP.

Cheers.

MovedGoalPosts
19-03-2007, 16:09
You might be able to get a static IP on a business grade connection, but certainly not on a residential one, even though they rarely change. The best alternative if you need a static address is to look at one of these web tracker web address thingys.

dunkyb
19-03-2007, 16:12
Yes I didn't think there was much truth in what he was saying, or he misunderstood and it's for business customers only.

I guess that rules out rDNS too.

Acathla
19-03-2007, 16:26
this offer the services you require?

http://www.dyndns.com/services/dns/

dunkyb
19-03-2007, 16:28
this offer the services you require?

http://www.dyndns.com/services/dns/

Apart from reverse DNS, yes... Which is probably the most important part...

The IP hardly ever changes

janipewter
19-03-2007, 17:23
As stated in one of the posts above, I believe you get a static IP with the business broadband. Not sure about reverse dns though, not quite sure why you'd want it.

j.smith1981
17-02-2009, 14:39
I use FreeDNS and i am on virgin, got my old domain jeremysmith.me.uk a sub domain (from Heart Internet), pointed it at the servers at FreeDNS (cant remember their names but there's NS1.something.org - NS4), pointed my names server settings from heart internet to them.

Then pointed my domain setup in FreeDNS jeremysmith.me.uk (as private so you dont get anyone coming off your domain name unless you authorise it, but whos likely to use jeremysmith.me.uk?) at my server which is on its dynamic IP address, what I am going to do is get a shell script (using Fedora as my webserver) to broadcast to freeDNS my current IP address and keep it up with that, has anyone else encountered problems by doing this?

Going to try setting up my own names server though but that would have to be really done through a static IP address wouldnt it?

Cant wait to get an ISP that offer static IPs, anyone know of any good deals?

Thanks in advance,
Jez.

PS FreeDNS offer free domain names hence their name, but you can point a domain name you have paid for to their nameservers (domain forwarding as its known), but if you dont set it as private due to them being a free service they offer your full domain a sub domain to other people, unless you set your preference on that domain to private where they have to get your permission to use it, if your records set as public then anyone can use it, you also gather points for adding to their list of domains aswell, cant remember what the rewards actually are but hey.

Kymmy
17-02-2009, 14:46
VM does have a rDNS feature on telewest business leased lines (managed internet) but not on thier business fixed IP BB..

j.smith1981
17-02-2009, 14:55
Think i'll just let it stay as it is with mine and setup a local caching DNS server to be honest, with setting up of the shell script in linux, need another 2 oldish computers though still LMAO!!!