PDA

View Full Version : Petition-noise pollution,a modern day curse

Vlad_Dracul
18-03-2007, 17:07
There are many things good and wholesome about life in Britain. You may feel free to sggest some of these in response, just to remind us all of how lucky we are to live here.

Unfortunately we live on an over crowded island where space is at a premium. As a result we do tend to live in high density housing be it flats,apartments,traditional terraced housing or semi detached.

Happy is the man (or woman !) who lives in a real detached home with a good bit of land between him and his neighbour.

Even on new build developments which contain detached houses, the houses are not actually that detached. There may only be a few inches or at best ,a few feet between them.

Becuase of the fact that most of us live in close proximity to our negihbours, one would hope that we would all excercise due consideration and treat others in a way that we would ourselves hope to be treated.

Sadly in today society it is very much dog eat dog and I will do what i like-to hell with others. Hand in hand with this we see a steady increase in the poliferance of home entertainment equipment and the increase in power that they can deliver. For many people there is precious little to do is Britian save for to watch tv or listen to the radio/music.

This is fine if due consideration is used. Sadly many people choose to turn up their music at whatever hour of the day or night they choose and don't give a damn about anyone else. I have neighbours like this myself.

It would be great if it was made a criminal offence to operate a sound emmitting device other than a television set,in a domestic premise that was other than detached,without the use of headphones after say 8pm at night.

How about signing a petition on this matter?

http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/Noise-Pollution/

I know that the PMs petition website is a bit of Labour window dressing but it can be used to push certain issues and this is a big quality of life issue for many ordinary people.

Shaun
18-03-2007, 18:24
It would be great if it was made a criminal offence to operate a sound emmitting device other than a television set,in a domestic premise that was other than detached,without the use of headphones after say 8pm at night.

Are you serious?:erm:

Why when most people can live together and show respect/tolerance?

People around us have the occasional party or play their music loud but so do we - perhaps we're just lucky?

I'd sign one that banned the use of mobiles on a bus or train to play music without a headset though as this is just wrong and seems to be on the rise.:(

Vlad_Dracul
18-03-2007, 19:17
It isnt my petition and you are lucky to be living with the neighbours that you have got. There are situations up and down the country where ordinary people have to endure the inconsiderate excesses of their neighbours and are in a position where they can do nothing about it. The situation is made worse by cheaper,modern construction and the requirement that if you have had an issue/compliant against a neighbor, you are required to declare it when you try and sell your house.

If you cannot have a reasonable level of peace in your own home,you might as well be homeless or in prison for murdering your inconsiderate neighbour.

Shaun
18-03-2007, 19:23
There are situations up and down the country where ordinary people have to endure the inconsiderate excesses of their neighbours

So we just ban it then? Rather OTT if you ask me.