PDA

View Full Version : Bad contectiuon at peak times?????

R3DH0T
16-03-2007, 18:21
Can i state as from the last month/6 weeks ago my internet connection starts messing up at peak times like from 5pm till early hours in morning and all weekend, i`m a online gamer and on my pc from 7am until ealry hours in the morning its nothing to do with the servers i go in or anything to do with my computer my modern i have changed everything had engineer out last week with new modern and this is still happening was`nt happy with the engineer he hooked up is little computer for all of a minute and said you have no packets loses, i have been on this connection for the past 7 years and this has only just started to happen in pass 6 weeks or so, i see in here what i have read ppl having same problem its nothing to do with your modern or and of your equitment its to do with the isp and them over loading there servers, anyway i`m just posting this to let you know that its not your modern or equitment but the isp, everytime this starts to happen i try ringing them but customer service is`nt the best never as been i wasted £5 credit on my phone last week trying to get through only to listern to that stupid music and still did nt get through, so now im awaiting a bt line getting put in then im changing is a pitty had no problems up until now but this is just getting out of order, but there is nothing we can do as there don`t garnutee the connection even us with the max 10meg and im lucky if i get 1meg at times, anyway thats the problem to most of the problems i m seeing in here, people just surfing the www would`nt notice this as much as there onl;y opening pages may i say if you think you are expericeing this try getting a internet game installed and join a server and at peak times or at time you think it is playing up going in a servber and keep an eye on the ping, mine can be ok most of time but when it is playing it up and is happening a hell of alot at peak times i usaully ping about 40-50 at normal times but when its playing up i `m usaully at 100-250 which makes me lag.

Excuse the spelling

papa smurf
16-03-2007, 21:50
i had a similar problem last month 10 mb bb but speeds ranging from 300kbs-4200kbs drove me nuts turned out to be my router my room is 12feet x19feet and depending where i sit i get varying speed 9.9meg at one end of sofa 4.2 at other end [on laptop] my desk top pc is in an alcove [its wireless]it only gets 4meg unless some one stands behind me then it goes up to 6-1/2meg but if your hard wired and have a blue 250 type modem from vm the ethernet ports go faulty and cause problems

Efour
17-03-2007, 15:58
Redhot where do you live approximately.

I have had almost exactly to that time frame the same problems.

If you are in essex/east London
Swap ISP as they wont do jack ****

danjw
17-03-2007, 16:16
i have the same problem hosting when gameing, if im on GRAW2 and want to host a game its around 75kbs upload per person needed, i have 490 upload regulary but i wont let me host more than 4 people (when hosting 4 its really pushing it)

what is packet loss ? is there any way of checking my packet loss without an engineer?

thanks in advance

AmAtoL
17-03-2007, 17:52
So it's not the best phrased question of all time, but he still has a valid point.
I've just been on BF2142 and it was the most awful lag/loss ever for a long time.
I was pinging 180 + at some points.
I also know there is no point in trying to get anything done to any meaningful degree.
My 10 meg atm :=

Sat, 17 Mar 2007 17:47:14 UTC

1st 512K took 3016 ms = 169.8 KB/sec, approx 1399 Kbps, 1.37 Mbps
2nd 512K took 3094 ms = 165.5 KB/sec, approx 1364 Kbps, 1.33 Mbps
3rd 512K took 3172 ms = 161.4 KB/sec, approx 1330 Kbps, 1.3 Mbps
4th 512K took 3203 ms = 159.9 KB/sec, approx 1318 Kbps, 1.29 Mbps

Overall Average Speed = approx 1353 Kbps, 1.32 Mbps

Let's hope it improves later tonight when I'll be trying it again.
I'm in Stockport.

jerryl
17-03-2007, 19:01
ive had slow internet speeds and high latency issue at peak times, i play games also, and i get lag which kinda annoys me.
the problem is the congested UBR, you cant do anything but virgin media should be fixing, it took VM more than 3 months to fix my area....now its totally fine full speed and low ping all times

R3DH0T
18-03-2007, 08:23
Redhot where do you live approximately.

I have had almost exactly to that time frame the same problems.

If you are in essex/east London
Swap ISP as they wont do jack ****

I`m Rochdale greater manchester m8

Benson
18-03-2007, 08:33
R3DH0T former PBA?

Chrismet5
18-03-2007, 08:54
I never get any problems with css. Sometimes my ping goes up at peak times, but its not a problem with my connection, it often seems to be the server. As the server has probably got more people on it at peak times, it can start to lag. Also, most servers are restarted overnight, and in the evening they haven't been reset for a while, but if the admin decides to restart it, it usually improves.

I'm on 2mb, and always get a consistent connection.

lani9loo
18-03-2007, 09:27
Hey all - I have the same issue - i'm in poole. Everyday for the last 2 weeks my connection has been hovering about 5mb between 6pm and 9pm. Phoned ts and was told to wack this in as a proxy 213.105.224.11, i now get 3mb.... told this was the solution and to try it for 1 week, I told the ts guy that he add halved my connection even more, and was told that this was the solution at least try it for 1 week. Obviously I removed it straight away and got at least my 5mb back.... after 9pm tried again and was back at a steady 8-9mb. Still no proxy loaded..... it's starting to annoy me now...

R3DH0T
19-03-2007, 06:50
R3DH0T former PBA?

Yes

AntiSilence
19-03-2007, 07:07
I've been getting the same issue on BF2. I got BF2 in November and it was fine. Then, about 6 weeks ago I started getting bad lag (the "There is a problem with your connection" text showing up a lot as well). Ping could jump between 100 and 800 and back to 25-ish again.

I'm pretty sure it's over-subscribed UBR's, but it's strange how it only started about 6 weeks ago.