PDA

View Full Version : from sky to VM tuesday , Useless installation

THUNDER1
16-03-2007, 14:21
I had sky digital up until Tuesday with just NTL 4mb BB.

I had ordered the pack below 3 weeks earlier and engineer turned up at 11am.

I got a v+ box, XL , Phone base pack and as i was prev on 4mb with ntl they upgraded me to 10mb or so they say. all for £55.

THe VM box was installed (he couldnt set up HDMI, but ive done that), But there was no manual , instructions etc.

He installed phone and as i was porting BT number was given temporary virgin number. THis temp number has never worked and my BT line went dead today. But no NTL, rang up and apparently the temp nr had been allocated to someone else !!!! but no one bothered to tell me. And it appears not that the phone install at my end is buggered so engineer booked for Monday now !!!

My 4mb BB is still 4mb with no sign of the 10mb increase i was promised to take the hole 3 in 1 package.

I have been given no cust service literature, account nr or phone nrs.
Due to my Bt line being disconnected now i have had to spend ages on my mobile dialing the 0845 cust services people.

In terms of experiences this service is pants. And am so close to using my 14 day cooling of period and cancelling and going back .

the engineer told me virgin are not ready for v+ as there was a total lack of boxes, manuals and install slots. He reckons if sky had just dropped their price for the sky + box and hd box then Virgin would be stuffed . (the only reason i moved over is i got free v+ box and installation when sky wouldnt budge from £99 and £60 installation).

A naff experience all round.

newguy
16-03-2007, 14:54
I hope VM gets over the teething problems sooner rather than later for you. Perhaps it was a subbie that went out to do the install for you? If that was the case then because they don't work direct for the company, then they might not be aware of certain procedures. More training required or more in house engs required to do the installs. No disrespect intended for any subbie engs reading this.:tu:

I also forgot to mention that later on in the year (about May/June) it was said yesterday in the press articles on this news site that 20m broadband will be available from VM.

I got a v+ box, XL , Phone base pack and as i was prev on 4mb with ntl they upgraded me to 10mb or so they say. all for £55.

THe VM box was installed (he couldnt set up HDMI, but ive done that), But there was no manual , instructions etc.

He installed phone and as i was porting BT number was given temporary virgin number. THis temp number has never worked and my BT line went dead today. But no NTL, rang up and apparently the temp nr had been allocated to someone else !!!! but no one bothered to tell me. And it appears not that the phone install at my end is buggered so engineer booked for Monday now !!!

My 4mb BB is still 4mb with no sign of the 10mb increase i was promised to take the hole 3 in 1 package.

Due to my Bt line being disconnected now i have had to spend ages on my mobile dialing the 0845 cust services people.

In terms of experiences this service is pants. And am so close to using my 14 day cooling of period and cancelling and going back .

the engineer told me virgin are not ready for v+ as there was a total lack of boxes, manuals and install slots. He reckons if sky had just dropped their price for the sky + box and hd box then Virgin would be stuffed . (the only reason i moved over is i got free v+ box and installation when sky wouldnt budge from £99 and £60 installation).

tweetypie/8
16-03-2007, 15:57

i am getting the vip pack installed next tuesday and i hope i dont go through the horror story you have been put through.i have been with virgin mobile for 6years and i have the highest regard for their cs,i will put a post on after tuesday and let you know the pros and cons of how things go,good luck to you and i hope things get sorted for you.:tu:

tweetypie/8
23-03-2007, 12:49
i am getting the vip pack installed next tuesday and i hope i dont go through the horror story you have been put through.i have been with virgin mobile for 6years and i have the highest regard for their cs,i will put a post on after tuesday and let you know the pros and cons of how things go,good luck to you and i hope things get sorted for you.:tu:

as promised i am back to tell how i got on with my v+ installition,the two lads arrived bang on time,it took approx 45mins to install, and they left the house as they found it which is always a plus, pros delighted with quality of picture,the ease of use of remote,the ability to record 2 programmes at once,the menu on the remote fantastic !!,one of the installers taking the time to talk me through the product and having the knowledge to answer any of my queries,cons i am trying hard to think of one but honestly cant come up with one.:tu:

THUNDER1
23-03-2007, 13:10
Congrats.

Yes having had the v+ for a week or so the twin record and watch one is a god send, as is the pause live tv and instant record.

Yes my installer didnt know how to set up HDMI, didnt leave a manual, no explanation and left the carpet covered in dust . I even had to lend him My drill so he could drill the hole in the wall !!!

hope you enjoy.

nottmreds69
23-03-2007, 16:39
I've been with SKY for the last 5 years and made a reluctant decision to swap to VM, mainly because of the free equipment and free installation.

Signed up to the VIP package without the mobile.
I contacted VM on 3 separate occassion to confirm that we could keep our existing telephone number. They were unable to answer at that time and I was promised a call back within 24 hours. I'm stilll waiting for 3 returned calls and still don't know about the number.

The engineer came out yesterday and I was more than happy with the time it took and his knowledge.
However he couldn't get either the V+ or the V box to activate and said it was due to a fault and would take around 90 minutes to activate.
V+ box worked properly shortly after but I'm still having problems with the V box 24 hours later. I can't view any channels apart from the very basic freeview.
I've conatcted VM twice and they stated that it could take up to 24 hours to activate and then that there was another fault with power?????
All sounded like excuses.

I've also upgreded to the 10mb broadband but have seen no change in download speed since. The engineer stated that would happen by the end of yesterday.

I also can't access any of the on demand features of the V+ box - the light constantly blinks to say it's online?

I am very pleased so far with the equipment but not the service or false promises.

I've heard a rumour of a cooling off period with VM. Is this true and how long is it?
On the positive side SKY offered me a good deal when I telephone to cancel, free installation for SKY+ and multiroom and the the box for £50. Sounds quite tempting now!

newguy
23-03-2007, 22:17
Sorry to hear you are one of the un-lucky ones with VM. I don't know about your cooling off period but it's in your contract. I know sky has an 8 day cooling off period (sky+ and HD is 30 days I think?) ... but normal sky and broadband is def 8 days.
Just call them up and ask. :tu:
I've been with SKY for the last 5 years and made a reluctant decision to swap to VM, mainly because of the free equipment and free installation.

Signed up to the VIP package without the mobile.
I contacted VM on 3 separate occassion to confirm that we could keep our existing telephone number. They were unable to answer at that time and I was promised a call back within 24 hours. I'm stilll waiting for 3 returned calls and still don't know about the number.

The engineer came out yesterday and I was more than happy with the time it took and his knowledge.
However he couldn't get either the V+ or the V box to activate and said it was due to a fault and would take around 90 minutes to activate.
V+ box worked properly shortly after but I'm still having problems with the V box 24 hours later. I can't view any channels apart from the very basic freeview.
I've conatcted VM twice and they stated that it could take up to 24 hours to activate and then that there was another fault with power?????

I've also upgreded to the 10mb broadband but have seen no change in download speed since. The engineer stated that would happen by the end of yesterday.

I also can't access any of the on demand features of the V+ box - the light constantly blinks to say it's online?

I am very pleased so far with the equipment but not the service or false promises.

I've heard a rumour of a cooling off period with VM. Is this true and how long is it?
On the positive side SKY offered me a good deal when I telephone to cancel, free installation for SKY+ and multiroom and the the box for £50. Sounds quite tempting now!

NTLVictim
26-03-2007, 16:55
as promised i am back to tell how i got on with my v+ installition,the two lads arrived bang on time,it took approx 45mins to install, and they left the house as they found it which is always a plus, pros delighted with quality of picture,the ease of use of remote,the ability to record 2 programmes at once,the menu on the remote fantastic !!,one of the installers taking the time to talk me through the product and having the knowledge to answer any of my queries,cons i am trying hard to think of one but honestly cant come up with one.:tu:

I can see a pattern emerging..
Joining this forum in February automatically makes you lucky with VM, with a textbook installation.
It sounds almost like a VM press release in fact, so good luck to you!:)

chrisbramley
26-03-2007, 21:52
I've been with SKY for the last 5 years and However he couldn't get either the V+ or the V box to activate and said it was due to a fault and would take around 90 minutes to activate.

Exactly the same situation here, only we got it installed on Saturday and it's still not working. They said an engineer would come out on Wednesday to fix it.

Says smart card not valid, quote 1008 when calling. Any ideas? Or shall I just wait for Wednesday and hope they sort it?

THUNDER1
26-03-2007, 22:13
I originally started this thread so an update..

I think the multi tuner in the v+ is a god send and the pause live tv superb.

BUT night after night after about 10 pm the box freezers...it carries on showing the channel its on but try changing channel or going on demand etc and nothing, the box takes about 2-4 mins to re-act and then it remembers all the presses i have attempted and hence the box goes manic ...changing channels , on, off etc etc

I think a software patch is needed to sort this out, its ok making the machine go into a trance to save energy but unless you have 12 cans of red bull the damn thing takes an age to wake up again !

SimonB
26-03-2007, 22:16
I had very similar problems - after install of V+ we only had the basic channels. I was told a number of different stroires (wait until 6pm tonight, wait 24 hours, etc).

Eventually, using this forum dsicovered that box wasn't paired to card.

Also on this forum I was given a phone number for head office - 01256 752000, ask to speak to "Top Level Complaints", they are much more helpful than customer service call centres

nottmreds69
28-03-2007, 14:48
An update!
After several calls to VM with no success or reply I called them again this morning. I was passed through 5 different departments and each time had to give account details and pass security checks. I was on hold for around 30 minutes which I was informed was not unusual.
I finally got to speak with a customer 'care'? who were surprisingly good!
He told me that nobody had processed the number port for the telephone which means that I've been lied to on at least two occasions by VM staff. However he did it, there and then and I've been promised it will be sorted within 48 hours. (I actually believe this guy because he sorted other things as well).
He also put me straight through to an engineer who sorted the multi room problem there and then. They just needed to reactivate the V box. (re chris bramleys post above about the error 1008 - this was the message I was getting).
Sorted with 1 hour.
I was also offered slight discount for the next few months on my account due to the problems encountered and a month free on the phone line.
There are people who can sort these problems easily at VM but it's pot luck who you get through to!

Everything is now sorted (or will be after phone number port). This has took around 2 hours of my time and approximately 10 calls to VM.
I do now however have the same problem as THUNDER1 with V+ box freezing, it takes around 30 - 60 seconds to catch up and is then fine again.
Hope they fix this soon but I won't hold my breath!!!!

nottmreds69
10-04-2007, 17:47
HELP! This is beyond a joke.
Called VM customer services again today after the landline number port has still not been processed. (after being promised it would take 2 days on 28/03/07).
VM stated that BT had not released the number, (strange as I'm with talk talk!) and another request was sent. I was promised (yet again) that this would be sorted by the 16/04/07 - yet another 6 days.
I also informed them about the very poor reception on the multi room box and the fact it keeps locking and the fault with the V+ box remote locking up.
He stated that he was resending new settings to both boxes and this would resolve all the issues.
The response from VM and customer services so far has been an absolute joke and I will leave if they can't sort things by the new promised date.

I signed up for the Very Impressive Package and am anything but impressed.
If anyone has any constructive advice to get a solution please please post a reply.
AND, just received a letter to say that BB is going up to £37 a month - does anyone know if this increase also affects the packages?

R HOOD
17-04-2007, 18:06
HELP! This is beyond a joke.
Called VM customer services again today after the landline number port has still not been processed. (after being promised it would take 2 days on 28/03/07).
VM stated that BT had not released the number, (strange as I'm with talk talk!) and another request was sent. I was promised (yet again) that this would be sorted by the 16/04/07 - yet another 6 days.
I also informed them about the very poor reception on the multi room box and the fact it keeps locking and the fault with the V+ box remote locking up.
He stated that he was resending new settings to both boxes and this would resolve all the issues.
The response from VM and customer services so far has been an absolute joke and I will leave if they can't sort things by the new promised date.

I signed up for the Very Impressive Package and am anything but impressed.
If anyone has any constructive advice to get a solution please please post a reply.
AND, just received a letter to say that BB is going up to £37 a month - does anyone know if this increase also affects the packages?

Unfortunately you cannot port a number from talk talk to virgin media at the present time. There is contractual problems between the 2 companies ( so I’ve been told)

colin-bennett
17-04-2007, 22:13
Unfortunately you cannot port a number from talk talk to virgin media at the present time. There is contractual problems between the 2 companies ( so I’ve been told)
And who told you this ?????
Some times problems occur due to talk talk not owning telco lines. However resellers number is all that is required.
Wow get frustrated with some info on here !!!!

twobells
17-04-2007, 22:36
I'm sorry you had such a rotten installation, my engineer was first class, he even went as far as doing the HDMI settings on the V+ for surround sound audio, which was nice......

nottmreds69
18-04-2007, 13:33
Finally,
The number changed over yesterday - 17/04/07. A day later than promised but it's done.
I can't believe that Virgin can operate in this way, the only thing stopping me canceling the whole thing was the hassle of setting up a new deal with sky!
I'm still having problems with the general quality of the pictures on both boxes and the V+ box still freezes. Something I guess I'll have to live with until the contract expires.
Thanks for everyones help and advice.

R HOOD
18-04-2007, 17:32
And who told you this ?????
Some times problems occur due to talk talk not owning telco lines. However resellers number is all that is required.
Wow get frustrated with some info on here !!!!

That info came from data opps (exchange), and i have just come off the phone to them and their still telling me that it is still is the case.

I attended a service call a few weeks ago, the customer could not receive incoming calls due to number portability problems with talk talk. On investigating the problem, i spoke to data opps, they informed me that they had a memo stating that this was a issue with talk talk and the customers that were affected by this, have been informed by a letter.

The service call ended with VM giving that customer a new number.
Who ever is right or wrong about this does not bother me, what does bother me is that this is typical VM, no one singing the same tune.

I’m increasingly finding myself sorting out problems that should have been sorted by the first line support. We are given very little information about anything, we have to source information from various departments, if a department tells me that we cannot port Talk Talk numbers, then who am I to question it.

Try ringing data opps and come back to me with a definite answer. I await your reply with interest.

NTLVictim
18-04-2007, 19:11
That info came from data opps (exchange), and i have just come off the phone to them and their still telling me that it is still is the case.

I attended a service call a few weeks ago, the customer could not receive incoming calls due to number portability problems with talk talk. On investigating the problem, i spoke to data opps, they informed me that they had a memo stating that this was a issue with talk talk and the customers that were affected by this, have been informed by a letter.

Who ever is right or wrong about this does not bother me, what does bother me is that this is typical VM, no one singing the same tune.

I’m increasingly finding myself sorting out problems that should have been sorted by the first line support. We are given very little information about anything, we have to source information from various departments, if a department tells me that we cannot port Talk Talk numbers, then who am I to question it.

Try ringing data opps and come back to me with a definite answer. I await your reply with interest.

Which has to to be the most comprehensive reply to so-called admin I've seen, recently...:D

colin-bennett
18-04-2007, 19:21

I can not get which dept you work for from your reply ??
As you will see from the post the port did go through. ????
These issues arise as OLO do not own the lines and BT port back once they have the relevant details. This is generally the resellers number and once VM and BT have the correct info the port will proceed.
It can take 10 rather than 7 days to port over.
Problems occur due to the OLO not giving the relevant info and then the port fails.
Other problems occur when it is a return to donor port but again this is generally the OLO eg talk talk.
Hope this helps