PDA

View Full Version : Telephone Loudspeaker

Rossua
15-03-2007, 19:32
Hi, I am new to this forum and wonder if anyone can advise me regarding the following query.

I am wondering if it is possible to get a speaker attachment for a standard landline telephone (eg I have a PhoneMark PM6001 with Virgin Media (formerly Telewest)), which can be plugged into the phone to allow it to still be heard whilst walking around the room or even leaving the room altogether.

This may sound like a strange request, however it would be VERY useful for
waiting on hold on a telephone customer service line, eg. today I was put on hold no less than three times by Virgin Media, each time taking more than 10 minutes. My patience was very frayed at the edges after this !

With a loud-speaker attachment you would be able to still hear the music that is playing whilst you are put on hold, and then as soon as the operator comes on the line, immediately dash to the phone and pick it up. Thus if you have a long wait you can at least do something else whilst waiting, rather than sitting there with the phone to your ear for a long period of time.

Does anyone know if such a device as this exists ?

Please note I am not looking for a headset as this would allow less freedom to move around because of the cord.

It could just be some sort of adapter that allows a standard speaker (eg. a PC speaker) to be attached to the phone.

Many thanks in advance for any advice.

altis
15-03-2007, 20:08
Does anyone know if such a device as this exists ?
Yes, it's called a cordless phone.

SnoopZ
15-03-2007, 20:24
Far easier just to buy a new Digital cordless phone.

MovedGoalPosts
15-03-2007, 20:40
I'm not sure if you can get a separate speaker, but I'm sure phones with integrated speakers will exist - indeed I have one of those sitting on my desk at work, and how I miss not having similar at home, for dialling any call centre.

A speaker phone is much more convenient than a cordless phone for long waits. They still require you to keep the thing pinned to your ear :(

Rossua
16-03-2007, 17:46
Thanks for all replies. A cordless alone wouldn't solve my problem though as it still requires having the phone glued to one's ear for an inordinate length of time. A speakerphone with a very high loudness level seems the best solution, possibly incorporating a cordless handset within it. I see Maplins have special phones for hard-of-hearing which could be a good option.

bonzoe
16-03-2007, 20:07
Thanks for all replies. A cordless alone wouldn't solve my problem though as it still requires having the phone glued to one's ear for an inordinate length of time. A speakerphone with a very high loudness level seems the best solution, possibly incorporating a cordless handset within it. I see Maplins have special phones for hard-of-hearing which could be a good option.

Cordless phones can be used handsfree and are audible through the built in speaker and you can carry it with you.

Rossua
17-03-2007, 17:43
You mean you can still hear it even if it is not held to your ear ? I was not aware that this was the norm for cordless phones.

:confused:

bonzoe
17-03-2007, 17:49
You mean you can still hear it even if it is not held to your ear ? I was not aware that this was the norm for cordless phones.

That's the case with my cordless, BT Freestyle 2200 series. BOught off e-bay

Stuart
17-03-2007, 18:23

Most DECT cordless phones in my experiece have some sort of handsfree mode.

daz300
17-03-2007, 20:26
this phone has hands free with it
link : http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/5518638/Trail/C%24cip%3D50277.Office%2C%2BPC%2Band%2Bphones%3EC% 24cip%3D50285.Telephones%3EC%24cip%3D50291.Corded% 2Btelephones.htm

SnoopZ
17-03-2007, 20:42
I'd get a cordless DECT phone if i was you as they don't cost much.

CycoSymz
17-03-2007, 21:02
I bought a Binatone cordless DECT phone with answering machine from ASDA last week for £22.50 and that has a handsfree/loudspeaker mode.

SnoopZ
17-03-2007, 21:16
I find Philips phones good especially if someone has problems hearing high pitched rings like myself.

Philips 2153 Digital Cordless Telephone With Answering Machine Triple Pack £39.99 (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Philips-Digital-Cordless-Telephone-Answering/dp/tech-data/B0007MY1XS/ref=de_a_smtd/202-8403310-6129452?ie=UTF8&qid=1174162288&sr=8-3)

Product Features
Digital DECT phone
Digital answering machine
Multi handset capability - 3
Handsfree operation
Intercom
DECT 2151 and 2 Additional Handsets
Free Intercom in combination with Handset
Handsfree on handset
Instrumental Melodies
Name & Number Caller Display
Name & Number Phonebook
Paging Key
Answermachine Control from Handset

info4u
18-03-2007, 23:11
Yes, it's called a cordless phone.
lol great minds think alike i guess

Rossua
20-03-2007, 14:14
Thanks for all suggestions, this has been a big help.