PDA

View Full Version : List of postcodes NTL plan to extend to...

Scope
15-03-2007, 13:54
Hi,

I might be moving to a none-cabled area (fairly big estate) where there is no broadband (or very slow ADSL, due to the distance to the exchange).. I know NTL has cables running just outside the estate to other households, but would love to know if they plan to extend to the estate.. You would have thought it would be in their interest due to people not getting ADSL, but you never know.

So, does anybody know of a list of Postcodes NTL (Virgin) are planning to extend to?

Perhaps somebody working for Virgin would be so kind as to check for me? PM for postcode.

nffc
15-03-2007, 14:18
I can't see VM extending the network any more, it would cost too much.

AndyCambs
15-03-2007, 14:23
I can't see VM extending the network any more, it would cost too much.

That was my understanding too. I'm in a cabled street, but there is a new road built off there. I don't think the cable has ever been extended into the 'new' bit at all and that's now several years old..

They've already mentioned about television for non-cabled areas, and I think it will be only extended this way.

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/cable/a43556/virgin-could-expand-outside-cable-by-april.html

Virgin Media could expand outside its cabled area as early as next month.

The company plans to market a quad-play offering comprising broadband internet, TV, fixed-line phone and mobile phone outside its cable addressable area beginning in April.

The television component will be powered by a Virgin-branded digital terrestrial set top box. The channels available on Freeview are broadly comparable, with some absences, to those available in the free TV pack ("size M") offered to Virgin's cable phone line subscribers.

By next year, Virgin plans to have secured network capacity from a local-loop unbundled telephony operator to offer more linear and on demand TV content on a service almost comparable to that available in cabled areas.

The Installer
15-03-2007, 14:41
I doubt they will ever extend the network. The best time for it to be extended would be while the builders are onsite then it could be ducted upto the front door of all the new houses but ntl/telewest don't seem to be bothered in doing this. If you ask me it would not have cost them very much at all as the builders would do it for them if given the materials. To me it seems silly as whole new estates are now without the option of having cable when it wouldn't have really cost very much at all to put it in as no digging would have been required.

Scope
15-03-2007, 16:18
It is a shame if they dont plan to extend, surely it would limit how much they could grow. Oh well, I guess i'll have to wait until ADSL2 (and beyond) becomes available then..

awibble
16-03-2007, 07:58
something seems odd... my house built 4 years ago as it all piped upto the front door, as does the whole estate. some of it only 2 years old.

PhilMitch34
16-03-2007, 12:43
my road was cabled up way back in the early 90's and I still can't get digital tv or broadband only analogue tv and dial-up. Anybody know when they are gonig to up date their remanding analogue networks like hear in southampton (SO19)

Scope
19-03-2007, 10:04
Can somebody with access to NTLs billing system drop me a PM so I can give you the Post code and address of the road in question? Some say NTL is available, others say its not.. I would like somebody to check if NTL actually bill anybody in that street for a cable related product. :)

I Hope this is OK.