PDA

View Full Version : I'm a Bogon baby, so why don't you kill me?

red502
14-03-2007, 01:40
HI all,

The network in L17 recently went down for a couple of hours due to scheduled maintenance.

When access was restored, my IP address had changed to a number beginning with 77.97.xx.xx

For 8 days now web access has been intermittent and slooooww.

I simply cannot reach some sites and servers using this new IP address.

I am a bogon http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bogon_filtering

This is the info from internetfrog for my ip address:

IP Location:
( ) ,

Latitude/longitude:
° LATITUDE and ° LONGITUDE
Map This Location

Connecting to the Internet through:

Organization:

Some servers recognise my IP as virginmedia, some do not.

For three years on 80.xxx and 82.xxx IP addresses everything was cool.

There seems to be no way around this, as virginmedia claim to have run out of IP addresses.

When anyone with a new (to virgin) network card or a new computer connects to their cable modem for the 1st time, they will be given one of these new 77.97. IP addresses.

One site which refuses connections from 77.97 IPs is www.megabitz.net (their support refuses to answer 4 emails)

I have tried repeatedly to get a new IP address by spoofing my mac address, using the USB instead of Ethernet connection, powering off modem for 48 hours etc.

Spent hours on phone and email and forums and it seems nothing can be done...

Please help! :(

ps. I've changed MTU setting, swapped cable modem, confirmed signal levels, changed upstream channel to no avail.

MovedGoalPosts
14-03-2007, 08:24
You are being detected by this site as having a blueyonder, i.e. former telewest area, IP.

Are you absolutely certain that Virgin Media are issuing IP ranges that haven't been updated, or is it more a case that some sites just aren't coded adequately, based on out of date IP range listings.

You aren't shown as being beind a proxy, but maybe it's worth trying that?

NTLVictim
14-03-2007, 08:32
Nice Beck reference in the thread title.:D

red502
14-03-2007, 12:15
You are being detected by this site as having a blueyonder, i.e. former telewest area, IP.

Are you absolutely certain that Virgin Media are issuing IP ranges that haven't been updated, or is it more a case that some sites just aren't coded adequately, based on out of date IP range listings.

Some whois services report me as unknown, some report me as blueyonder.

I am not currently using a proxy, but when I do, I can access www.megabitz.net with no problems.

Users I have spoken with on another forum can access this site using blueyonder without a proxy.

How would a site update its IP range listings?

Thanks.