PDA

View Full Version : Very High Modem Activity

jcw00
12-03-2007, 22:02
My cable modem is showing very high activity with both the send and receive lights on for 90% of the time for the last 48 hours. This happens with nothing connected to either the USB or Ethernet ports. A reset makes no difference. Customer Services have tested the modem and can find nothing wrong, I was told via 2nd line support that they may be doing firmware upgrades, however lasting for over 48 hours, I can’t believe that. Has anyone else noticed this on their modem?

Hom3r
12-03-2007, 22:09
What modem do you have?

jcw00
12-03-2007, 22:20
What modem do you have?

WebSTAR EPC2100

jcw00
15-03-2007, 21:51
Any ideas?

Vegeta
15-03-2007, 22:11
Is your modem hooked up to a router with wireless enabled?

rollingstone
16-03-2007, 03:47
I have had the same thing happening to my modem (Webstar EPC2100) over the past few days even with everything else turned off.

Regards,

Alex Warren

dannyoneill
16-03-2007, 09:21
Have you ever user P2P software like Bittorrent?

The reason I ask is your IP will still be in the P2P trackers, so people will be trying to connect to you to get the torrents you have.

If you have a router with a log you can see this passing through the logs. You cant stop it, the only way is to reset and hope you get a new IP or wait for the tracker to expire you.

grandmaster
16-03-2007, 12:16
I would also check your machine for spyware/malware and other nasty things.
You never know you could be part of a "bot" network sending spam and ddos attacks.

jcw00
16-03-2007, 13:01
Is your modem hooked up to a router with wireless enabled?

Have you ever user P2P software like Bittorrent?

The reason I ask is your IP will still be in the P2P trackers, so people will be trying to connect to you to get the torrents you have.

If you have a router with a log you can see this passing through the logs. You cant stop it, the only way is to reset and hope you get a new IP or wait for the tracker to expire you.

I would also check your machine for spyware/malware and other nasty things.
You never know you could be part of a "bot" network sending spam and ddos attacks.

As I have already stated "This happens with nothing connected to either the USB or Ethernet ports".

dannyoneill
16-03-2007, 13:46
But as I said, with P2P like bittorrent your PC doesnt have to be on.

P2P trackers will have your external IP address in their database and be sending people to you to get information regardless of the state of your PC. My Pc is not on at the moment but when I look at my router its turning away people trying to download on bittorrent ports.

jcw00
16-03-2007, 13:57
But as I said, with P2P like bittorrent your PC doesnt have to be on.

P2P trackers will have your external IP address in their database and be sending people to you to get information regardless of the state of your PC. My Pc is not on at the moment but when I look at my router its turning away people trying to download on bittorrent ports.

I have never used or installed any P2P software.

dannyoneill
16-03-2007, 15:44
Then it could just be general hackers trying there luck.

The're people out there who just scan a whole range of IP address's and various ports and hope they get lucky. If they do they then see what they can see. Just bored kids these days.

jcw00
16-03-2007, 16:34
Then it could just be general hackers trying there luck.

The're people out there who just scan a whole range of IP address's and various ports and hope they get lucky. If they do they then see what they can see. Just bored kids these days.

I agree, but if they have had no luck after 24 hours, they would move on to the next range. I think it's a virgin media network or modem problem.

jcw00
24-05-2008, 19:02
Now solved following UBR upgrade over a year later (see http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/12/33633297-change-of-ubr.html)

yorkshireborn
26-05-2008, 09:26
when i first got bb from virgim mine lights where fashing silly for 3 days.