PDA

View Full Version : Any Word on that Broken Pipe?

Mechanicus
11-03-2007, 15:49
Hello all!

I was just wondering if anyone had heard anything about that pipeline which was damaged under the sea, which is causing (Or at least suspected to be causing) slow download speeds outside of the UK.

Many have it, including me - Fine speeds on speedtests (9.5-10mb), but can only hit about 300-500kb/s on downloads outside of the UK. I haven't tried every country, but it is definately affecting US downloads.

It happened a while back apparently, and NTL didn't do anything. I was wondering if VM had said anything on the matter?

Thanks

-Mech

AbyssUnderground
11-03-2007, 17:02
US downloads have always been slow for me rarely hitting my max 4mb. Their pipe to the USA is saturated so much we get crap speeds. No word that Ive heard on the damaged pipe.

Paul
11-03-2007, 17:40
It happened a while back apparently, and NTL didn't do anything.What exactly do you think they could do ?

Paul K
11-03-2007, 18:02
Send an engineer with a snorkel? ;)

RXP
11-03-2007, 19:52
Apparantly there was meant to be a terrorist attack on the London internet exchange :-o

Stuart
11-03-2007, 19:53
What exactly do you think they could do ?

Lay a new pipeline? :D

Graham M
11-03-2007, 20:25
Apparantly there was meant to be a terrorist attack on the London internet exchange :-o

shibby
11-03-2007, 20:54
I remember a few years ago where pretty much of the UK internet access that runs to america went down.
Isn't there something like a link leading at the top of the UK that goes across to the USA? Isn't that the one that went down?

Stuart
11-03-2007, 21:02
There is more than one link from the UK to the US..

RXP
11-03-2007, 22:45

http://www.news24.com/News24/World/News/0,9294,2-10-1462_2081750,00.html

TheNorm
11-03-2007, 22:57
...I was just wondering if anyone had heard anything about that pipeline which was damaged under the sea, which is causing (Or at least suspected to be causing) slow download speeds outside of the UK....It happened a while back apparently, and NTL didn't do anything. ...

Is this the story to which you are referring?

A damaged undersea transatlantic cable is being blamed for causing havoc for Net and phone users in the UK last night.

A number of ISPs are understood to have been hit by the problem, which surfaced (the problem, not the cable) yesterday afternoon at around 4pm.

The cable - which is owned by a consortium of telcos - is believed to have hit a snag (figuratively speaking, of course) somewhere off the French coast. France Telecom, which is responsible for that section of cable, is sending a boat out to examine the damage.

At this stage it's not known exactly what the damage is or what caused it. However, the effects of the incident were felt in the UK last night.

BT has confirmed that some of its voice services were hit by the outage, while NTL blamed the cable problem for downing its Net service - including web browsing, email, ftp and newsgroups - for around eight hours.

The service was back up and running by around 1am today, although the cableco has conceded that some punters may still be suffering problems this morning.

Telewest confirmed that its customers also experienced difficulties accessing email and personal webspace for around four hours. Although it's still investigating the matter, a spokesman acknowledged that the problems could be a result of the damaged cable.

And Tiscali said it was unaffected by the incident, although some of its punters may have found accessing US-based sites slower than usual. ®

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2003/11/26/damaged_undersea_cable_blamed/

Published Wednesday 26th November 2003 12:37 GMT

You mean it still hasn't been fixed after more than three years?

handyman
11-03-2007, 23:03
I remember a few years ago where pretty much of the UK internet access that runs to america went down.
Isn't there something like a link leading at the top of the UK that goes across to the USA? Isn't that the one that went down?

I was workng for Wanadoo when this went down. It came after the main cable of TAT(somthing) was damaged and not repaired and then the back up had problems. .

There are loads of acble running between the US and the Uk but this one was massive and carrying more bandwidth then probably all of the other conbined so its problems impacted the net massivly.

It's not just a case of a half hour job to fix a cable in the middle of the atlantic you know.

Locky
11-03-2007, 23:06
http://www.news24.com/News24/World/News/0,9294,2-10-1462_2081750,00.html

LMFAO ! yeah lets kill the west by disrupting the internet :/ lmfao, as for this i didnt even no there was a broken pipe, giganews usa with 5 connections is just as good as europe for me, as for the likes of microsoft (pretty sure us based servers) speed is perfect

Rik
11-03-2007, 23:45
Send an engineer with a snorkel? ;)

Ha Ha!

That has to be voted "Funniest Post of the Day" lol :D :D

Web-Junkie
12-03-2007, 13:50

Luckily NTL/VM are quite capable of blowing up their own network without outside influence, just rollout a 10mb service! Terrorists need not apply in this case!

Mick Fisher
13-03-2007, 10:04
Luckily NTL/VM are quite capable of blowing up their own network without outside influence, just rollout a 10mb service! Terrorists need not apply in this case!

:LOL: