PDA

View Full Version : Cabling for exterior use ?

castlekeep
10-03-2007, 19:14
Hi,

I had my V+ box installed Wednesday and the installtion engineer also moved my existing STB to another room.

To move the existing STB to the other location he ran a cable up the outside wall and threw the cable across my extensions flat top room. The end of the cable he tacked to the outside wall and then through the wall of the extension into the new location.

Having taking a better look at what he done I now have a cable snaking across my flat top roof and not tacked to any structure.
That is bad enough but I have just found a partly used cable reel that he used for the exterior cable run.
The cable he used is white and the label on the cable reel is printed - NTL SKU#6245-0195 RG59 INTERNAL (WHITE).:confused:

I phoned CS who assured me that the cable he has used is correct for exterior use.

Can this cable be used for exterior use or are CS just fobbing me off.

Thanks very much for any advice.

Phil.

Graham M
10-03-2007, 19:16
I dont see a problem with it personally, as long as it works ok?

ntl engineer
11-03-2007, 00:00
nope the white cable is for interior and is not water proof he shud of used black catv

jaym812
11-03-2007, 00:19
u said 59 that old **** everyone uses 6 or 6Q and also some white cable can be used outside as long as it sunlight resistant i know here at my company are white wire is post some pics of this install

ntl engineer
11-03-2007, 00:30
well we use rg 6 or rg6q like u said but rg 59 is very old i avent used that for 2 years

jaym812
11-03-2007, 01:32
well we use rg 6 or rg6q like u said but rg 59 is very old i avent used that for 2 years

ntl engineer what do u do for ur company? me i work for comcast over here in the states iam a service tech

castlekeep
12-03-2007, 14:13
Thanks for everyones input.

So,
1. He has used outdated cable.
and
2. It should not be used for exterior use.

Is that correct ?

Thanks.

Phil.

castlekeep
12-03-2007, 19:15
Hi Jaym812,

Here are some Pixs of the cable.
It sure looks like the same cable as he used inside the house.

Thanks for the advice.

Phil.

Darrenp
13-03-2007, 00:42
I have white cable going out downstairs wall and coming back in upstairs wall, I've had no problems.

ntl engineer
13-03-2007, 09:18
jaym812 iam installs m8 and if we did that with the white cable we wud of been in the office the next day.and castlekeep he must of ran out of black thats all i can say but i wud ring them and get in changed and for the snake on the flat roof some contractors we after get our own insurance as the company will not get it for us

AndyCambs
13-03-2007, 10:48
I don't like the look of the loose cable on the flat roof - what happens if the wind gets up and it breaks?

richie
13-03-2007, 11:18
get them back out! No white cable outside and any cable needs to be secure. Make sure you tell them it's the install your not happy with and don't have a fault or a service tech will come out and then pass it back to installs.

jaym812
13-03-2007, 22:09
yeah that shouldnt be laid on the roof like that that just lazyness

but here in the usa i see alot worse then that like there was one time i wish i had my dig cam that day someone ran a drop from the pole to the house with underground wire wich was ty rap because u/g dont have messenger on it here all our u/g 6 and 11 drop cables are orange

the first pic suck because i used my cell phone cam and it was getting dark
but anyway that job there is some ****y workmanship

the 2rd pic is one of are pedestal in a newer u/g area

the next one i didnt take my friend who work in a diff system took that one if u look at it there a birdnest in the house box and there **** all over eveything in it that got to suck to work on that

Foo Fighter
13-03-2007, 22:34
He cant exactly nail into your roof but could pulled it a bit tighter

castlekeep
14-03-2007, 14:22
get them back out! No white cable outside and any cable needs to be secure. Make sure you tell them it's the install your not happy with and don't have a fault or a service tech will come out and then pass it back to installs.

Hi,
After being transferred to four departments one of which was India who then transferred me back to Portmouth, they are sending an engineer out to replace the cable on Friday.

I told them that the problem was with the Installation and that I have the cable reel that the installer left behind which is clearly marked as "Internal". I felt they didn't appear to beleive me so decided to pass me over to the "Fault" department. This department appeared to be an Indian Call center India who couldn't understand the problem so passed me back to faults somewhere else who sunsequently passed me back to Faults in Portsmouth. The girl there understood and booked the engineer. This took 1.5 hours.
She assured me that the engineer will replace the cable and not just say "no fault" and pass the call back.

I look forward to Friday.

Phil.

The Installer
14-03-2007, 20:29
nope the white cable is for interior and is not water proof he shud of used black catv

LOL yes it is waterproof don't talk silly :erm:

The white cable will not withstand the UV rays of the sun and will start to crack after a while, this will be a good few years though so don't worry about it too much.

RedDragon
14-03-2007, 22:30
External cable is filled with a sticky substance so that if the outside plastic coating splits water will not ingress and run down into the splitters/isolators etc. As this is internal cable it will not prevent water ingress.

Nedkelly
14-03-2007, 22:56
As others have said white cable will in time breakdown in sunlight .Black should always be used .The pics you have put on the site this tech should of been shot but they know that theres no one doing qcs so they think that they can get away with it.Lets hope when they come they will replace the cable .jaym812 hi thanks for letting us see what goes on in the states you should see some of the base units we have to work out of .:)

castlekeep
17-03-2007, 09:51
Hi,

Well the Engineer arrived, took a look and said, "I'll have to get the installation guys to come out".
I told originally CS that it was not a fault but an install issue and I was advised that the engineer scheduled will be able to rectify the problem.

Now have another engineer scheduled for 27th March.

Apart from this the V+ box and reception is real good.

Phil.

Nedkelly
17-03-2007, 10:41
Why did they book a fault tech it needed a install tech Muppets:mad:

richie
17-03-2007, 19:45
Hi,

Well the Engineer arrived, took a look and said, "I'll have to get the installation guys to come out".
I told originally CS that it was not a fault but an install issue and I was advised that the engineer scheduled will be able to rectify the problem.

Now have another engineer scheduled for 27th March.

Phil.

Told you cs do this all the time but the service guy can close the job as a wasted truck roll and hopfuly cs will wise up

castlekeep
28-03-2007, 14:22
Hi,

Engineer turned up and replaced all the cabling with black exterior cable and clipped it around the house.

Nice job. :)

Red Button dosen't work on BBC1 etc but that is for another day. :(