PDA

View Full Version : Cheeky B*ggers - £24.99 to £25

lordy
10-03-2007, 12:16
Didnt realise this had gone up 1p :) I just called the Retentions number and the machine hung up on me! I'm only just out of contract so wasnt worth calling earlier.
I've already got ADSL (not running as great as Cable) but it's cheaper. No point having both.

Jules
10-03-2007, 12:20
Come on that must have been said tongue in cheek, you didn't really try get an offer because your BB had gone up by 1P did you lol

virginmedia
10-03-2007, 12:21
Why don't you ditch the ADSL.

Call up retentions on 0800 0730 591.

And get yourself a nice deal with t.v and net and phone.

John

lordy
10-03-2007, 12:49
Nah. The main reason I called is that I'm just out of contract :)
I think I'll be using Talk Talk as leverage.
I dont get the TV services. Between Freeview and my cousin 'Don Load' in the states, I don't have any need to pay for cable(or Sky) TV.

Its also interesting that VM packages seem to put emphasis on (TV:L, Internet:M) when I think more and more saddos like me , would rather (TV:M,Internet:L) type packages.

---------- Post added at 12:49 ---------- Previous post was at 12:42 ----------

Why don't you ditch the ADSL.

Call up retentions on 0800 0730 591.

And get yourself a nice deal with t.v and net and phone.

John

Yup I think that's what I tried to do! I really got the BT phone, just to see what kind of ADSL I can get, but it aint pretty. 59.9db Attenuation , so even with very good equipment (2Wire 2700HGV - better than ST585v6 IMO) & ADSL nation faceplate, and Entanet reseller, I'm only getting a 2.5-3M BRAS Profile.
[It hurt's when I go to mates house who lives 750m from the exchange and hits 7.1Mbps with TalkTalk and cheap router]

NTL/VM connection has been surprisingly good for the last 2 months and IP address is nice and stable too.

virginmedia
10-03-2007, 12:50
Ok then lordy you cancel your pack cause it has went up 1p and stick to your ADSL.

:(

-------------------------------edit----------------------------------------

sorry didn't read your post.

Just get yourself a nice deal then!!

andygrif
10-03-2007, 13:12
I'm a bit confused....

Is the O/P annoyed becuase his internet has gone up by one penny a month or becuase it's generally more expensive (but performs better) than a DSL connection?

Locky
10-03-2007, 13:29
dont bothr asking them for a deal u dont like it then cancel, simple

lordy
10-03-2007, 16:00
dont bothr asking them for a deal u dont like it then cancel, simple

I Disagree. What is you reasoning why people shouldnt ask, in light of the fact that VM do offer cheaper rates if you call retentions? I dont understand your motivation for advising people not to ask for a deal?? If Virgin were not offering discounts then you'd have a point. But they are. Are you generally opposed to bartering and customers pushing for discounts?

Plenty of people have been getting good deals by just making a phone call. + I'm prepare to cancel now that I'm out of contract, but I'd rather have it cheaper.

For other posters, it's not the 1p :) but the general expense of 4Mb that is simply not competative in Todays market. I'd cancel in a heartbeat if my ADSL was a little bit faster, but at 2.5Mb I have to think about it a bit more, and hopefully push for a discount from VM.

Locky
10-03-2007, 16:19
either pay for it or cancel it dont cry for a discount... if it isnt competetive then dont subscribe to it ? go sumwere cheaper ? as for u useing talktalk for leverage why not just canacel vm and go to talktalk ? rather than lyeing thru ur teeth and crying in a deal from retentions ?

Paul
10-03-2007, 16:24
Yeah, I notice that my 10Meg went up from £34.99 to £35.00 last month.

Hex
10-03-2007, 16:44
Seeing as the 10mb (then 3mb) was £37.99 when first rolled out, it's still cheaper with the extra penny, that and I get fed up of everything costing £X.99 all the time. When ever I shop with cash I always end up with a wallet full of pennies at the end... :(

lordy
10-03-2007, 16:49
either pay for it or cancel it dont cry for a discount... if it isnt competetive then dont subscribe to it ? go sumwere cheaper ? as for u useing talktalk for leverage why not just canacel vm and go to talktalk ? rather than lyeing thru ur teeth and crying in a deal from retentions ?

You are a cheerful chappie.

1. When I subscribed 1 year ago it was more competative but now it is not. The market has changed and prices have dropped.
2. When you are in a contract you cant cancel. As I've mentioned almost every post.

3. I am not lying if I say talk talk is cheaper. In fact, I might seriously check them out. Not the greatest ISP in the world, but I've just had to splash out on a new boiler, .. And I also know that being with Entanet doesnt really give any great advantage because other factors affect my ADSL more than the ISP. So you can throw around insults all you want.

4. I'm quite prepared to cancel if I have to. I'd rather have it cheaper though.

Not sure why you are so annoyed about it. Have a nice day. or at least try to. Camomile Tea perhaps, or maybe some Evening Primrose Oil would be more apt?

"Lying Through Your Teeth" indeed - sounds very "Drama Queen"ish.

PS So you do subscribe to the notion that people cannot Barter or ask for discounts from advertised prices? Hmmm.

PPS This might come as a surprise, but it's actually up to VM to tell me to sling my hook.

Locky
10-03-2007, 16:55
You are a cheerful chappie.

1. When I subscribed 1 year ago it was more competative but now it is not. The market has changed and prices have dropped.
2. When you are in a contract you cant cancel. As I've mentioned almost every post.

3. I am not lying if I say talk talk is cheaper. In fact, I might seriously check them out. Not the greatest ISP in the world, but I've just had to splash out on a new boiler, .. And I also know that being with Entanet doesnt really give any great advantage because other factors affect my ADSL more than the ISP. So you can throw around insults all you want.

4. I'm quite prepared to cancel if I have to. I'd rather have it cheaper though.

Not sure why you are so annoyed about it. Have a nice day. or at least try to. Camomile Tea perhaps, or maybe some Evening Primrose Oil would be more apt?

"Lying Through Your Teeth" indeed - sounds very "Drama Queen"ish.

you said use talktalk as leverage thus meaning u intend to lye about switching because htye are cheaper and faster blah blah, with no real intention of doing so, if you want 4 meg then pay the PROPER price for it ?

lordy
10-03-2007, 17:02
you said use talktalk as leverage thus meaning u intend to lye about switching because htye are cheaper and faster blah blah, with no real intention of doing so, if you want 4 meg then pay the PROPER price for it ?

Then I suggest you improve your English Comprehension. Leverage does not mean intending to lie. Look it up .. I'll wait.

Also, Sorry but in todays market £25pm for 4M is too much. Even Virgin know that, that's why they are revising their packages, in June I think. Seem you are happy to .. er.. take it.

icestar2
10-03-2007, 17:03
lordy (http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/members/14753.html) If you can get a better deal through retentions then go for it m8. It's always worth a try.

As for Locky you seem to have a bit of a chip on your sholder, Maybe you dont like people getting a better deal ? Hell why dont you try yourself and stop telling other people that they should pay the set price when there's a chance they can get it cheaper.

Locky
10-03-2007, 20:26
it is pathetic if u cant afford it DONT BUY IT why should FULL paying customers be affected by the congestion on the network because the cheap assed dont want to pay for the bandwidth they are useing ?

icestar2
10-03-2007, 20:55
it is pathetic if u cant afford it DONT BUY IT why should FULL paying customers be affected by the congestion on the network because the cheap assed dont want to pay for the bandwidth they are useing ?

I am a full paying customer and I have no problem if people get a better deal. Its not "pathetic" at all. The only pathetic thing is your reply's. Whats wrong with people getting a better deal ? Some people dont have the oppertunitys some of us have and maybe cant afford to pay full price. If virgin want to give them a discount then am fine with it. Its how you run a business.

I have said all I am going to say about this now so feel free to say whatever you wish I wont justify you with a reply.

GeoffW
10-03-2007, 21:03
My gripe about the change was that it was unannounced, ie we are planning to increase your subscription by 1p and give me a months notice. Ok 1p is nothing to me, but times that by 3 million and it's free money to VM that they are hoping people will just accept. It's that that ****es me off. My mindset is that I think their current broadband is expensive and they just put the price up.

They are pushing allegiance to VM and I'm sure I'm not alone in looking for excuses to move. A call to retentions will not fix it for me, it's more about feeling **** on, and yes 1p really does it - its more the principal than the price and I am feeling mugged by marketing.

Hex
11-03-2007, 01:46
My gripe about the change was that it was unannounced, ie we are planning to increase your subscription by 1p and give me a months notice.

It was announced, I did know about it a month or so before it happened, might of been an e-mail news letter, might of been on the website, or might of been on a bill, I cant remember where I read it, just that I did.

AndyCambs
11-03-2007, 04:39
It was announced, I did know about it a month or so before it happened, might of been an e-mail news letter, might of been on the website, or might of been on a bill, I cant remember where I read it, just that I did.

I'm sure there was a mailshot come out, and specifically mentioned that they were rounding the prices off to the pound.

Seriously, if some people complain at 12p per year.......
Are they like this at the supermarket check-outs?

GeoffW
11-03-2007, 08:28
I've been like this ever since a shop refused to sell me something as I was a penny short. :)

cybernetic_tiger
11-03-2007, 08:34
I cannot believe this thread... the 1p a month increase was to make it easier to read and understand the bill and package options and this will become clearer as the billing platforms are completely merged.

As for calling retentions for a better deal, I hope the team don't cave in but sadly I'm sure they will, they don't appear to have worked out yet that giving things away for free or next to nothing is counter productive to the business, and that the customers they are retaining are often not worth the bother and will always want a better deal.

Also while the business is spending cash on retaining these customers they are forgetting the millions of loyal customers who pay their bill each month, don't moan about costs and have no interest in switching service as they are happy with the service.

I'm all for people getting a better deal but I cannot abide people who know they are getting a superior product and still want it at a lower price than the cheap nasty service.

VM need to remember that you cannot please all of the people all of the time.

Just my two pennith...

Chris W
11-03-2007, 09:54
please remember to refrain from any personal comments

Bill C
11-03-2007, 10:42
I honestly cannot believe that someone has complained about a 1p increase

This proves the country has finally gone to the dogs

SAD SAD SAD

lordy
11-03-2007, 13:11

SAD SAD SAD

No, what is sad is that people doent understand tongue in cheek comments even with smilies to help them. I still think its cheeky increasing the price (however small) of the 4M package, as I think its overpriced in todays market.

The facts that

1. I have just finished my inital year of the contract,
2 me personally thinking 24.99 is too much for 4M when some people can get similar speeds for much less on ADSL
(Admittedly I'm not one of them, so I have to balance that out.),
3. VM offer deals to some people calling retentions. is what prompted me to call retentions

And yes, in todays market I think putting the price up (however small) is a cheek. :)

---------- Post added at 13:11 ---------- Previous post was at 12:58 ----------

I'm all for people getting a better deal but I cannot abide people who know they are getting a superior product and still want it at a lower price than the cheap nasty service.

Just my two pennith...

Well thats a bit of a loaded statement IMO. I started with NTL a year ago, and was plauged with speed problems and problems with the transparent proxies. So much so that I got a BT line installed to check out ADSL.

At the time NTL was an expensive and nasty service, as far as I was concerned. (And I was in initial period of my contract for those knee-jerkers out there).
It has improved, but I get fed up of knowing many people getting a relible 6M for £10pm via ADSL and me paying £25pm for 4M.

I think it should be less.
I'm gonna call retentions.
If VM stand firm then I have my (slower) ADSL line.
I basically have both at the moment (see NTL was once so expensive and nasty for me that I got ADSL put in) and need to make a decision. This is made more difficult by NTL service improving in the last few months( better speed, no proxies)
The call to retentions will help with that.

Personally I am surprised at people who feel so strongly about other people calling retentions, like VM is their best friend. They should call VM and tell them to stop offering deals rather than chastising people that take advantage of them. VM is a big company just like any other. They just have one purpose.

andygrif
12-03-2007, 00:17
For other posters, it's not the 1p :) but the general expense of 4Mb that is simply not competative in Todays market. I'd cancel in a heartbeat if my ADSL was a little bit faster, but at 2.5Mb I have to think about it a bit more, and hopefully push for a discount from VM.

Ah OK, so it's kind of the straw that breaks the camel's back...when every other ISP is lowering prices, you're are (albiet only a penny) on the up?

I understand that, and I think you're perfectly within your rights to go to your supplier and ask for a deal. They can either choose to keep you as a customer and lower the price or lose you to a competitor over their pricing.

Of course one might draw parallels with the current spat over the supplier choosing what price to sell to the customer, so if they refuse you could always complain to anyone that will listen saying they're removing your choice...but that's another story ;)

Seriously though, some people on here seem to take it personally when people ask Virgin for a discount - they appear to be under the impression that by offering something at a lower price and retaining the customer is somehow depriving them of a half decent service.

Personally, my attitude is that if you don't ask you don't get - so more power to your elbow and go get yourself a good deal. Let us know how you get on.

Virgin Mary
12-03-2007, 18:03

SAD SAD SAD

Wasn't Richard B that threw the toys out of the pram for Sky's 3p per customer increase? SAD SAD SAD :rolleyes:

Sumanji
13-03-2007, 00:34
Wasn't Richard B that threw the toys out of the pram for Sky's 3p per customer increase?

3p PER DAY vs. 1p PER MONTH.

GCSE Maths?

DarkGashX
13-03-2007, 03:17
I know what Locky means, many many people keep making up crap just to get a super special offer. Then in a few months time VM bum their prices up and more people will complain. Shesh, people have been doing that for months now. If you intend to goto talktalk then fine ask for a deal if your lieing then please, don't, 1000s of other people are fine paying the fee so why should a select small group reading a thread " I GOT 10Mb for £9.99!" try scamming VM, it isn't right.

dev
13-03-2007, 04:01
Then I suggest you improve your English Comprehension. Leverage does not mean intending to lie. Look it up .. I'll wait.

Also, Sorry but in todays market £25pm for 4M is too much. Even Virgin know that, that's why they are revising their packages, in June I think. Seem you are happy to .. er.. take it.

compared to what? the 16mb adsl you can get? sure it looks bad value but dont forget that a small percentage actually can get 16mb thus overall bandwidth adsl suppliers need is a lot lower, so lower costs are easier and higher contention.

Chalky
13-03-2007, 09:21
I have to agree with lordy.
£25pm is too much. I know it's up to 4mb and the ADSL competition is up to 8Mb but at least for ADSL you pay £20pm or sometimes under that.
So why don't I switch. Well it's location dependant. Where I live the max you get from ADSL is 2Mb even if you pay for 8Mb. At least with my 4Mb I get around 3.7 when it's a good day.
I'd like to see the 4Mb being priced closer to £20pm especially as I can't get the 'L' package on any of the VM deals. 'M' phone 'L' broadband and 'XL' TV.

Or a nice idea would be if I take out 3 services VM could offer a standard £5 off per month. Maybe that'll be better than the 2 for £20 or 3 for £30 where you end up with the 'M' broadband option each time?

Acathla
13-03-2007, 09:53
3,319,300 cable broadband customers (as of February 28, 2007)
1p per customer per month
£33,193 extra income per month
£398,316 extra income per year (12 month)

Not bad ;)

mart44
13-03-2007, 10:47
If you decide to get a lower priced Internet connection via the phone lines, might this end up being actually more expensive than cable broadband because of having to add the line rental price into the overall cost? I'm not very well up on the offers that are around.

andygrif
13-03-2007, 11:29
Saying that, most homes (not all, most) do have a home phone line too.

NTLVictim
13-03-2007, 11:52
I've got all three, it's the "eggs in one basket" thing..if my cable (Broadband) goes out, I can phone them via BT, and if my BT line goes out, I've still got email and voip.

And I've got sky TV because it's cheaper and the quality is better.(not the programmes)

mart44
13-03-2007, 14:52
Saying that, most homes (not all, most) do have a home phone line too.
Where people have a cable package, they may stop paying for the BT line. If they wanted to go back to using it, I suppose the line rental would then have to be added to the real cost of an alternative Internet connection.

Chalky
13-03-2007, 15:14
The Virgin Media 'M' Phone pack is £11. Similar to BT basic line rental. So if you changed to BT you'd probably cancel your VM phone. I don't think you should add phone line rental onto ADSL prices to get a price comparison.

robcricket
13-03-2007, 15:17
well why don't you call retentions and go for the 20mb internet XL being rolled out in May

andygrif
13-03-2007, 15:17
The Virgin Media 'M' Phone pack is £11. Similar to BT basic line rental. So if you changed to BT you'd probably cancel your VM phone. I don't think you should add phone line rental onto ADSL prices to get a price comparison.

And I guess that by contrast, when they leave the cable package then they might well stop paying for the cable phone line too. Especially as BT will reconnect old lines for free and you can take your cable phone number away and port it to another provider, just like a mobile phone.

To be honest, this has been an argument used since cable didn't require you have a phone line to get an internet connection anymore...some years now. I guess technically you're correct, but given that most homes, as said before, do still require a phone line too, then your comparison method is not as vital in terms of accuracy.

Also, given the array of 'free' ISPs now, some service providers would still work out cheaper, even with the £11 per month line rental included.

But I do understand what you're saying.

icestar2
13-03-2007, 16:26
I know what Locky means, many many people keep making up crap just to get a super special offer. Then in a few months time VM bum their prices up and more people will complain. Shesh, people have been doing that for months now. If you intend to goto talktalk then fine ask for a deal if your lieing then please, don't, 1000s of other people are fine paying the fee so why should a select small group reading a thread " I GOT 10Mb for £9.99!" try scamming VM, it isn't right.

I agree with most of that - the people who are scamming I dont agree with like you but I have to say that some people do come into money difficulties every now and again and may not wish to lose there tv/broandband its its there way of relaxing/hobbie so if them people try go for a better deal then I dont have a problem with it.

It's all about helping the little man lol

Agent47
13-03-2007, 16:44
Read on a newsgroup that there is going to be a £2 increase for the broadband.

Anyone heard this.

mart44
13-03-2007, 17:29
To be honest, this has been an argument used since cable didn't require you have a phone line to get an internet connection anymore...some years now. I guess technically you're correct, but given that most homes, as said before, do still require a phone line too, then your comparison method is not as vital in terms of accuracy.
Sorry to go on but there'll always be newcomers who haven't given aspects of the question much thought before. Just one other point.

Do most people who go for an alternative Internet connection tend to leave cable altogether then? I mean, if you decide to keep cable TV, the cost of using the phone line again for the Internet connection would be an additional expense, rather than a replacement one. Then that would be a factor in how much any other service costs.

REM
14-03-2007, 12:07
I used to pay £24.99 for 512kb/s which was actually 600Kb/s. Then they upgraded to 1Mb/s then 2Mb/s then 4Mb/s all for the same price.

I have no complaints about NTL/VM charges. They have served me well and I wouldn't want to bankrupt them by asking for discounts. I want VM to do well and not be forced to close down.

Chalky
15-03-2007, 10:44
Do most people who go for an alternative Internet connection tend to leave cable altogether then? I mean, if you decide to keep cable TV, the cost of using the phone line again for the Internet connection would be an additional expense, rather than a replacement one. Then that would be a factor in how much any other service costs.

Mart44. I guess that if it was me that was changing, I would give up all the VM services and switch to alternate ADSL \ BT Phone line rental \ Freeview or Sky etc....
As you need the BT line for ADSL, I'm not sure if you still have to have a VM phone with their TV. I know that used to be the case. I know my neighbour did this.

Sumanji
15-03-2007, 11:08
VM 4MB + basic phone = £27 (2 for £20 + £7 extra)

Similar ADSL* + BT basic = £32 (roughly £20 + £12) + activation fee of ~£40.

(*For arguments sake let's say average line speed is 4MB and it's uncapped.)

Mixing services between providers may suit your needs better, but your pocket will feel the difference!

dcclanuk
15-03-2007, 11:37
VM 4MB + basic phone = £27 (2 for £20 + £7 extra)

Similar ADSL* + BT basic = £32 (roughly £20 + £12) + activation fee of ~£40.

(*For arguments sake let's say average line speed is 4MB and it's uncapped.)

Mixing services between providers may suit your needs better, but your pocket will feel the difference!

Then just compare with TalkTalk

£21 for 4mb [upto 8mb], phoneline, and free calls anytime, incl international destinations!

hmm... £6 cheaper!

[assuming 40GB is good as unlimited for the common man not downloading linux distros;)]

Sumanji
15-03-2007, 12:10
Well then, you get what you pay for (http://www.thinkbroadband.com/isp/compare.html?isp_19=1&isp_22=1&commit=Compare) ;)

dcclanuk
15-03-2007, 12:20
Well then, you get what you pay for (http://www.thinkbroadband.com/isp/compare.html?isp_19=1&isp_22=1&commit=Compare) ;)

its not as bad then! TT are meant to be appalling for bb! but that comparison actually makes them look better lol...

andygrif
15-03-2007, 23:20
I think for medium to heavy net users the 'free' services are probably not much cop. To the vast majority of the country (and I don't count myself amongst them) who only do a little browsing, watch a couple of clips on YouTube, send some emails and let the kids plays a few online games - the free or low-cost providers are a great thing.

I don't know what the stats are but there are still lots of people still on dial-up accounts, so even getting a limited download 1mb line is a massive leap forward.