PDA

View Full Version : Connecting Satellite & Cable Box to DVD/HDD Recorder

JG3870
10-03-2007, 03:45
Is there a 2 way scart switching product available that will allow you to connect a cable box and satellite receiver to a DVD/HDD recorder so that i can record from either the cable box or satellite receiver to the DVD/HDD Recorder?

Pikem4n
12-03-2007, 00:03
Hi JG3870

I might be able to help you, 1st of all how many scarts have you got on your Tv?

JG3870
12-03-2007, 14:49
Hi JG3870

I might be able to help you, 1st of all how many scarts have you got on your Tv?

I hope you can help pikem4n :)

I just have the one scart on the tv

I'm not bothered about the lack of scarts on my tv as i can use the rf loop to watch the satellite box through my tv.

The thing that i want to do is where i currently connect my cable tv box to the DVD/HDD recorder (vcr scart) i want to be able to put a scart splitter into the back of the DVD/HDD recorder so that i can plug the scart lead scart from my cable box and also a scart lead from the satellite connected into the scart splitter at the back of the DVD/HDD recorder with an option to switch between satellite and cable box to enable me to record either the satellite or cable box signal to the DVD/HDD recorder.

AndyCambs
12-03-2007, 14:52
Try this:

http://www.dtg.org.uk/consumer/connection_wizard.html

JG3870
12-03-2007, 19:29
Try this:

http://www.dtg.org.uk/consumer/connection_wizard.html

Thanks for that Andy i'd already seen that site and it wasn't able to help with my particular question

Aragorn
12-03-2007, 22:51
How about something from here (http://www.cableuniverse.co.uk/catalog/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=165_109).
Argos also do Scart switches.

Pikem4n
12-03-2007, 23:31
Hi again

Yeah not too sure if you dvd/hdd has 2 scarts or now but this is what i was going to suggest which is 1 of 2 things matey.

1st Thing - ( 3 scarts Only)

Link a scart from the Vcr output on your skybox into Av2/Ext2/line2 on the back of the Dvd
Then link a scart from Av1/Ext1/line2 from the Dvd into the Vcr input of the cablebox
Link a scart from The tv socket on the cabel box into the scart on the Tv.

So when you record your sky you will have to select Av2/Ext2/line2 on Dvd remote and to record your cable select Av1/Ext1/line2 On your dvd remote.

With it being set up like that , when you switch off your cable box, you should be able to play your dvd through your cablebox, and if you are very lucky, all depending on how good the scart circuitry is on the dvd ,aslong as your dvd is off and your cable too, your skybox might be viewable via scart.

2nd Thing > 4 scarts and a switchable scart adapter.

Link a scart from both the vcr outputs on the cable and sky boxes into the inputs on the scart adapter.

Then Link a scart from the output on the scart adapter into the Av2/Ext2/line2 input on the Dvd, then link a scart from your Dvd into your Tv.

On the a switchable scart adapter you will have to press a button to select which item you want to record ( unless you buy a switchable scart box which is automatic) then select the Av2/Ext2/line2 input on your dvd remote.

Tbh i would go for the latter, even though it might be a bit more exspensive, i know it will work for sure- ihope that helps :)

JG3870
13-03-2007, 01:32
Hi again

Yeah not too sure if you dvd/hdd has 2 scarts or now but this is what i was going to suggest which is 1 of 2 things matey.

1st Thing - ( 3 scarts Only)

Link a scart from the Vcr output on your skybox into Av2/Ext2/line2 on the back of the Dvd
Then link a scart from Av1/Ext1/line2 from the Dvd into the Vcr input of the cablebox
Link a scart from The tv socket on the cabel box into the scart on the Tv.

So when you record your sky you will have to select Av2/Ext2/line2 on Dvd remote and to record your cable select Av1/Ext1/line2 On your dvd remote.

With it being set up like that , when you switch off your cable box, you should be able to play your dvd through your cablebox, and if you are very lucky, all depending on how good the scart circuitry is on the dvd ,aslong as your dvd is off and your cable too, your skybox might be viewable via scart.

2nd Thing > 4 scarts and a switchable scart adapter.

Link a scart from both the vcr outputs on the cable and sky boxes into the inputs on the scart adapter.

Then Link a scart from the output on the scart adapter into the Av2/Ext2/line2 input on the Dvd, then link a scart from your Dvd into your Tv.

On the a switchable scart adapter you will have to press a button to select which item you want to record ( unless you buy a switchable scart box which is automatic) then select the Av2/Ext2/line2 input on your dvd remote.

Tbh i would go for the latter, even though it might be a bit more exspensive, i know it will work for sure- ihope that helps :)

Thanks for the info pikem4n

My DVD/HDD recorder has only one scart input which only allows me to record from one source (the cable tv box) hence why i need to be able to have a scart splitter to hook up a satellite box with a switch to select which source i want to record from either cable or satellite, i did pop into Maplin electronics on my way home tonight and they have a 2 way scart splitter with a push button switch to select which socket you want to use and i think that would do the job.

thanks again for all your suggestions pikem4n very useful :):tu: