PDA

View Full Version : VM vs Sky: The broadband perspective

Theodoric
08-03-2007, 19:05
Except for one very unhappy experience, I've been satisfied with ntl broadband. OK, it falls over now and again but I normally get the advertised 2Mb/s.

Now, would I be correct in saying that if you switch to Sky and get your broadband service via BT, then the quality of service that you will get is in the lap of the gods and that there's no real way of finding out whether it will be good or bad except by trying it? In other words, are you better off sticking with the devil you know?

Locky
08-03-2007, 19:07
the only real way is to try it for yourself, i am very happy with my vm 10 meg wouldnt realy think of swiching

Theodoric
08-03-2007, 19:11
It's just that with fibre optics photons are photons and all is nice and consistent whereas, with copper wires, you're forever reading about the importance of such things as the distance from the exchange, and the quality of the wires etc.

foxtrot
08-03-2007, 19:23
the only real way is to try it for yourself, i am very happy with my vm 10 meg wouldnt realy think of swiching

That becuse you dont have probem with your!! others who do have probem got the right to Moan. talking to CS is like talking to a wall, evertime you phone CS they ask you to do this do that with your Modem <<< Dont forgot 30 - 45 mins wait befor u talk to anyone at CS:td:

punky
08-03-2007, 19:35
Now, would I be correct in saying that if you switch to Sky and get your broadband service via BT, then the quality of service that you will get is in the lap of the gods and that there's no real way of finding out whether it will be good or bad except by trying it? In other words, are you better off sticking with the devil you know?

It's just that with fibre optics photons are photons and all is nice and consistent whereas, with copper wires, you're forever reading about the importance of such things as the distance from the exchange, and the quality of the wires etc.

That's right...

ADSL speed is affected by line length, and also quality... So sitting next to an exchange isn't a guarantee of good speed, if the wires are old. Also, the cables aren't run as the crow flies, so it can be a lot more than sites like SamKnows says.

Optical fibre is much better at carrying data, however, that's only good if the service is good (no oversubscribed, etc)

rogerdraig
08-03-2007, 19:45
Except for one very unhappy experience, I've been satisfied with ntl broadband. OK, it falls over now and again but I normally get the advertised 2Mb/s.

well you could do both i have gone to sky but virgin offered me 2 meg BB for £10 i expect they would you to
then you can take the base BB from sky for free and try ( you have to pay for their modem )

by the end of the year i will see if i ditch the new bt line and switch back to cable or not

RXP
08-03-2007, 19:50
I have both, they're all good.

Stuart
08-03-2007, 20:01
That becuse you dont have probem with your!! others who do have probem got the right to Moan. talking to CS is like talking to a wall, evertime you phone CS they ask you to do this do that with your Modem <<< Dont forgot 30 - 45 mins wait befor u talk to anyone at CS:td:

In fairness, complaints about bad service can apply to any company. I'm currently using Be for my broadband and am very happy with it. However, when it was installed, BT flagged a problem on the line, and it took me 2 phonecalls to Be, 5 phonecalls to BT and nearly 3 hours to sort out. I've been an Cable&Wireless/NTL/Virgin Media customer since 1999, and had broadband since 2000 and I can honestly say I *never* had as much trouble with NTL as I have had with BT.