PDA

View Full Version : Can we still do a BB self install?

jem
07-03-2007, 11:44
I'm due to be getting a V+ box next week and as I currently get my 4meg broadband through the existing STB, I have booked an engineer to also come on the same day and fit a cable modem.

Now what I'm worrying about is that the modem engineer doesn't turn up and I'm left with no broadband at all until I can pester customer services. Or not let them take the existing Samsung box away (I'm not keeping it) and ask very nicely if they'll put a splitter in which would need to be done in any case by the modem fitter. More likely than not all will be fine-I'll double check the booking a few days prior but you never know. Reading a few other postings it seems that in the past there was a self-install scheme whereby they would courier out a cable modem for you to fit yourself. Does anyone know if they still can do this?

I know I could ring CS and just ask them but the waiting time is quite long at the moment and I really don't want to waste some porr reps time on a pointless call if the service has been discontinued. Although it might be a nice change from 'What's happen to my Sky1 picture and how much are you going to give me?' calls that I'm sure they're still getting.

As far as the details go, if they can send me down a cable splitter and half meter of cable with the right connectors on it I should be good to go. The modem can literally sit alongside the V+ box so I'd rather split the cable at that end and not run another cable from the wall box. Then presumably call CS with the mac addresses of both Samsung STB and the modem and get the account details sorted out.

Now from your experiences does this seem like a reasonable course of action or should I just wait and hope the engineer turns up? I appreciate that there may be signal strength issues with splitting the cable and although I can check the levels there's not much I can do to fix them so I may end up having to get someone out anyway.

Many thanks in advance.

handyman
07-03-2007, 11:55
The Modem fitter and TV fitter will be the same chap.

They will spilt the signal either outside or in the house depending on the location. Then your at the mercy of the accounts systems to update and remove the old stb settings and update your account with the details for the modem. Once that is done you will be able to provision the modem.

the fitter will be able to test that the modem has sufficient signal before he leaves but will not set the modem up for you to your computer.

tip = Use Ethernet connection

jem
07-03-2007, 12:14
Well that's what I though would be best but CS specifically told me it would have to be two seperate engineers. I did manage to book the BB installer to come on an earlier date which was fine but then I had to move it and the only date available was the 17th when the V+ box is going in.

BTW should I have had anything in the post from VM about the cable modem install, new account number and PIN etc. I did get a 'welcome pack' but I'm assuming thats for the V+ box as I know they treat these as being a new install.

The connection to the PC (actually it's a Mac) part is just fine. At the moment I have the STB connected to a Cisco PIX firewall and then to an Apple Airport Wireless base station. Yes I know the PIX is completely OTT but I work in IT and do a lot of remote work and it's handy for VPNs to companies, most of which use Cisco firewalls.

Greebox
07-03-2007, 12:15
If, heaven forbid the engineer does not have all the kit available, in answer to the original question Self install Modem kits are still available and sent out via Parcel Force, but I'm not sure if these are subject to regional limitations.