PDA

View Full Version : Registering a business address

Xaccers
06-03-2007, 16:11
I need to start my own business and part of that requires a business address.
Thing is, I rent and part of the terms is no business to be run from the property.
So I could use my parents' address, however, are there any legal ramifications of registering an address, or is it just where post gets sent to?

TheDaddy
06-03-2007, 16:25
Thing is, I rent and part of the terms is no business to be run from the property.
So I could use my parents' address, however, are there any legal ramifications of registering an address, or is it just where post gets sent to?

Doesn't the address has to appear on all your paperwork etc, so your customers may well turn up there if you annoy them, it's also where any legal correspondence will be sent as well and presumably where the bailiffs will call should the worst happen

Xaccers
06-03-2007, 16:27
Doesn't the address has to appear on all your paperwork etc, so your customers may well turn up there if you annoy them, it's also where any legal correspondence will be sent as well and presumably where the bailiffs will call should the worst happen

I'm becoming a self employed IT professional.
Currently working through an umbrella company (no, not that kind of umbrellas!) but due to the changes in the budget in April, I'd be better off running my own business through them (they'll handle all the paye and tax etc)

r1ch
06-03-2007, 16:29
You may well be liable for business rates on the property too.

TheDaddy
06-03-2007, 16:33
I'm becoming a self employed IT professional.
Currently working through an umbrella company (no, not that kind of umbrellas!) but due to the changes in the budget in April, I'd be better off running my own business through them (they'll handle all the paye and tax etc)

Not much chance of anything like I said happening then, there are loads of companies that provide a registered address service, if you shop around I bet you could find one that's cheap

Xaccers
06-03-2007, 16:50
Great, most are around the £50 mark :)

prawncocktail
06-03-2007, 16:55

ask your solicitor, for my business i have a registered address at my solictiors office in london and my postal address is where i live, perfectly normal practice for this and the solictior i used did the facility for free as they set up the business legal work