PDA

View Full Version : Moving House - Keeping Sky+/Sky boxes?

moonmonkey
06-03-2007, 13:32
Hi,

I'm moving house at the moment. I was hoping I could get some advice here before I talk to Sky, so I know what the best method is.

I have been with Sky for 18 months, subcription includes Sky Sports, all mixes, no movies - one Sky+ box and one normal (multiroom)

I would like to know:

- Is the equipment (ignoring the dish) my property to take to my new house?
- Can I sign up to a contract with 1 months notice now?
- How would I go about getting best deal on installation at new place - I want same set up, one Sky+ box connected, one normal Sky multiroom?
- Would I be better off starting new account (waiving right to 1 month contract) and cancelling current one for new subscriber deal?

I am planning to call them soon, just wanted to get others opinions first

Hope you can help, thanks in advance

Tricky
09-03-2007, 10:23
When you ring sky to move they'll tell you to take your boxes and leave the dish and cabling. They can then write to the "new" owners and offer them sky as they know the dish etc is already there.

Re. Contract - If you've had for 18 months, I believe you can now cancel at any time (1 Months notice) so there is nothing to sign

Do you know anyone that will do install? - Otherwise try convince Sky to do it for free (I am assuming that new place doesn't have a dish etc).

If there is a better deal out there speak to sky they'll normally give you that offer if your threatening to cancel and start a new one. This avoids commissin to shop (which they don't pay if you ring them direct).

HTH?

RealDiamond
09-03-2007, 15:05
If you are in the 12 month contract then yes SKY still own the box and dish. But as you've say you've been with them 18 months, then the hole lot is yours.
When I moved I took the dish as its part of the unit, I signed and paid for a DISH and BOX, not just the box. Local sat installers will be able to put the dish up they can even buy the same set up meters as sky from maplin.co.uk.
As most installers are just freelance for sky anyway. This avoids a new 12 month contract with sky.
If you have multi room, sky sneaked in a terms and condition change a few years ago, so you will need the phone line connected but sky will give you about 6 months to hook it up. (see they know BTs track record well. Ntl did the phone the day after I rang them.) Handy if you only want to use a mobile (no land line for six months, yipee. that £70 saved)

moonmonkey
22-03-2007, 00:53
thanks for the responses - meant to reply sooner but took a while to get internet sorted at other end

i got an independent installer to sort the dish, lnb, cabling out - works perfectly with the viewing cards i used at my previous address. these are still active for a while before the notice period runs out. tempted to just ask sky to reverse the cancellation of viewing cards and change my billing address over, if that can be done.

i've paid sky about 700 quid in subs last 18 months (sky sports multiroom), kind of feel like they owe me a small favour for sorting the install out for them (sky engineer wanted to postpone original installation date by a week) - anyone know any good deals i might be able to wangle?

RealDiamond
22-03-2007, 19:35
You could try to get the a package discounted BUT sky don't realy care if you don't resubscribe, the lack of the red button multi angle, multi match choice, and all the other completely free red button stuff on the Sports AND Movies does matter to Ex Sky users so more do go back to Sky (you just know that when the presenters read out the letters\emails "why did you put X match on interactive, I can't watch it" that its a cable veiwer moaning).
Can you let me Know if the Sky+ box still records proply after your sub runs out, thats why Sky had you pay the £10 a month fee if you had only one premium channel.