PDA

View Full Version : Cable broadband installation

-Xt)2eM3-
05-03-2007, 22:54
Can anyone explain to me how the engineer connects me to cable broadband.. Obviously via a fibre optic cable but i want to know the process. Eg. Where does he/she get the cable from, and how it gets into the house

I also want to know if they can chuck the cable over the roof as I would like the wire to come to my room which is upstairs, facing the garden.

Thnx

Halcyon
05-03-2007, 23:09
Normally they will run a cable from the pavement to your house.
So they may run it under a few slabs or slightly take up your grass and lay it down again.

Basically if you are nice to the engineer (Tea, biscuits, bacon sandwhich), I'm sure they will listen to you and how you want the cable.

Tell them where you would like it to go and if it is possible they will run it over for you. It just depends on if it is possible. you will have to ask them on the day.

They then put a little box at the side of your house to connect the cable coming in from the street.
A second little box goes inside your house as a kind of junction box where they plug in the wires to your modem / TV box.

zing_deleted
05-03-2007, 23:13
I doubt they will take it over your roof the best you can ask for really will be for them to tac it to the outside wall . Your not mid terraced I hope?

-Xt)2eM3-
05-03-2007, 23:16
Normally they will run a cable from the pavement to your house.
So they may run it under a few slabs or slightly take up your grass and lay it down again.

Basically if you are nice to the engineer (Tea, biscuits, bacon sandwhich), I'm sure they will listen to you and how you want the cable.

Tell them where you would like it to go and if it is possible they will run it over for you. It just depends on if it is possible. you will have to ask them on the day.

They then put a little box at the side of your house to connect the cable coming in from the street.
A second little box goes inside your house as a kind of junction box where they plug in the wires to your modem / TV box.
thnx man... very helpful & it has given me an insight into what to expect ^^

Hmmm hopefully they can chuck it over the roof...
I wonder if the engineer likes tea or coffee... :cool: :cool: :) :) :tu:

---------- Post added at 23:16 ---------- Previous post was at 23:14 ----------

I doubt they will take it over your roof the best you can ask for really will be for them to tac it to the outside wall . Your not mid terraced I hope?

Is that bad ^^

Yh i am... its our 2nd house... im using it for the next few months coz it's close to my uni ^^ then it'll go back onto being rented out... and the guys will have to use this connection... I have Be's 24 mb broadband out my proper house.. we live very close to an exchange and get speeds of around 15-20 mb.. 1000kbs+

zing_deleted
05-03-2007, 23:20
why are you changing?

-Xt)2eM3-
05-03-2007, 23:23
why are you changing?

At the house im @ (2nd house)... the one closest to my uni... i have got TIscali 2mb... and i get 30.0 kps... no joke... neva had anythign above 58.0kps

I had tesco broadband ehre before... and the 1mb was slow @ 56kps

so i decided our phone lines / wiring must be poor / of poor quality

so i figured lets try cable.. since it has nothing to do with phone line / distance to exchange... so thats y im changing

also... Is it a bad thing living in a mid terraced house... like cabling / probz for engineer??

Halcyon
05-03-2007, 23:26
Well it just makes it a little harder to get cable down the back of your prooperty if you don't have a path or garage you could go down. A detached house could run the cable down the wall.

Depending on the house, you may have to go in at the front and have the cable run through the house.
See what the engineer says when he turns up.

zing_deleted
05-03-2007, 23:26
oic.

The only problem will be how to cable it to the rear. I dunno if they will go over the roof I have no knowledge on this . You will see when they turn up ;) I know a lot of VM dude frequent here im sure someone who knows will pop up eventually.

-Xt)2eM3-
05-03-2007, 23:28
thnx for the replies zinglebarb & halycon

very helpful

thnx

ntl engineer
05-03-2007, 23:30
they are not allowed to throw the cable over the roof it is against law m8

-Xt)2eM3-
05-03-2007, 23:34
they are not allowed to throw the cable over the roof it is against law m8

Ahh :td: :td: :td: :td:

thnx for the heads up mate...

My mum will be well :mad: wen she finds out that holes r being drilled everywer

she goes krazy over wires in the house..

she cant wait till electricity is transferred wirelessly ^^ (and btw this is currently being studied... on a laptop it is working atm)

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/6129460.stm

ntl engineer
06-03-2007, 00:11
if u dnt want wires al over get it put in the front room and get a wireless router m8

-Xt)2eM3-
07-03-2007, 18:42
if u dnt want wires al over get it put in the front room and get a wireless router m8

Not good for gaming... I need a constant speed with no interruptions... Also i like having the router connected to my pc in my room... so thats y i want cable wire to be in my room..

is that possible?

Greebox
07-03-2007, 18:55
Have you considered Homeplugs which use the ringmain to transfer data ?
I was getting 63Mb LAN connection consistently on bad wiring with the 85Mb model, and they now do a 200Mb model.

http://www.homeplugs.co.uk/acatalog/Solwise_HomePlugs.html

-Xt)2eM3-
07-03-2007, 19:03
Have you considered Homeplugs which use the ringmain to transfer data ?
I was getting 63Mb LAN connection consistently on bad wiring with the 85Mb model, and they now do a 200Mb model.

http://www.homeplugs.co.uk/acatalog/Solwise_HomePlugs.html

Nahh aint heard of that... At first i thought u wer tellin me about the broadband sharing through ur electrical wires..

can u tell me more abt the product ur talkin about?