PDA

View Full Version : Splitter

virginmedia
04-03-2007, 21:51
Hi

I have a few questions, hopefully someone may be able to answer.

In my bedroom I have a Telewest box on the wall conected to my cable modem.

In a few days I'm getting a stb put in my bedroom.

I want to know weather the engineer will put a splitter on the box on the wall and run one cable to my modem and one to my stb.

Also i would like to know how he would do this, like put the splitter in the box or outside the box.

I mean make the box so that it has two connetions coming out of it or connect a splitter to the one connection coming out of it.

Any screenshots would be great!

Thanks in advance ;)

John

AndyCambs
04-03-2007, 21:52
Depends - my engineer ran two cables from the street cabinet, one to each box...

virginmedia
04-03-2007, 21:55
Can any engineers comment on this oh and btw thanks for your reply Andy.

John

AndyCambs
04-03-2007, 21:59
Well I may have been exceptional, but I'm the furthest from the street, and had a second STB fitted. When you watched both boxes, the downstairs one pixelated quite a bit, so they put me on two cables - it took far longer than the allotted time and they were very helpful. I think the alternative would have been to split the cable from the grey box on the outside of the house and run the cables from there to each entry point.

I'm moving over from broadband through STB to SACM, and I understand there is a self install option, which I gather involves adding a splitter to the cable from the white socket inside the house, but I opted for the engineer to do it with the V+ installation.

virginmedia
04-03-2007, 22:04
Does the splitter go inside the Box on the wall??

John

AndyCambs
04-03-2007, 22:06
Does the splitter go inside the Box on the wall??

John

If you mean the one inside the house, I have to say I don't know - cos I haven't got one yet - but I'd imagine as it is self install - no, outside.

If you mean the outside grey box, then I think it would have to so it was protected from the elements and possible damage.

virginmedia
04-03-2007, 22:12
I mean the box inside the house, where would the splitter go inside the box or not.

I have a engineer coming round so does anyone know what way he will install this.

John

Nedkelly
05-03-2007, 08:28
The tech could put a splitter in the white box on the wall but then he has to move the isolater to the omni box.More then likely he will put the splitter on the outside of the whit box as this is the esay option then run a cable to your tv;)

virginmedia
05-03-2007, 08:33
Personnaly I dont want a spliter coming outside the box.

I would like it inside so that it looks neat.

Aanyway i could get round this??

John

Nedkelly
05-03-2007, 08:42
It depends on the tech some are quite happy to do this and some are not .Just say my friend had it done like this .:)