PDA

View Full Version : Yoyo Speeds Today?

Mechanicus
04-03-2007, 19:25
Hello.

This morning, I was trying to download the LotrO Beta, from a server which would normally give me a steady 1mb/s speed (Fileplanet's UK server). It did a couple of meg, then stopped, the speed went to 0. Then it came back up, did a couple more meg, and down again.

I unplugged the modem, got some breakfast, and plugged it back in, about 5 minutes later. It didn't seem to stop completely as before, but I didn't try a download at all (in hindsight I should've).

Through the day I noticed some websites were being slow (Paypal via eBay, and some others), but I put it down to it being their (the sites) end. But I then started seeing it on all sites, like Google, which is normally pretty close to instant to load. I tried another download, but was getting speeds of 40-70kb/s. I put it down to just slow servers (obscure servers this time), and let it finish the download seeing as it was a small file (60mb). I rebooted my modem again, and tried to redownload the LotRO Beta, and I am getting between 30kb/s and 150kb/s. This is on a 10mb line, which is normally very good, all times of the day.

I do not know which 'area' I am in, but I am in Hertofrdshire is that helps.Is there a reason I can only download/browse at 0.3mb? And why has it just shown up today?

Edit::Speed tests show my speed as anywhere btween 1mb - 7mb. Usually it'll zoom up to 4mb-5mb but then slowly drop down to almost nothing.

Web-Junkie
04-03-2007, 19:38
This is typical of what i'm seeing in the 3 days I've had 10meg! After 6pm it's pot luck what speed you'll get and weekends it's pot luck what speed you'll get ALL DAY!!

I'm ringing up tomorrow and asking to be put back on 4meg, i'm not putting up with this dismal excuse for a 10meg service!

Mechanicus
04-03-2007, 19:41
I've had it for a couple of months now, and it only started happening today.

Web-Junkie
04-03-2007, 20:26
Looks like your being shaped then like everyone else on 10meg! Ring up and complain as you're not getting the service you expect!

Mechanicus
04-03-2007, 20:28
But again, why only today?
I've been with them about 2 months, no problems. Now all of a sudden it goes bad?

Edit:: Speed not going over 500kb/s now! That 0.5mb ladies and gents!

Edit 2:: Upload speed isn't affected.

Howzie
04-03-2007, 20:48
I recently came down from 10 meg to 4 meg line as from around November 2006 most downloads and assorted internet connections became reduced in speed. What were fast downloads from around the world of 1.1 meg sec reduced to 300 - 400 Kbs. Most web pages lost their instant loading that many had under the 10 meg modem about a year ago. I have read that there has been severe damage to a major fibre optic international connection ring but do not know for certain. What of the future ?
Now that I have a 4 meg line it does not seem worse than the recent 10 meg line only cheaper. But we really need to get back to the old performance as that is the idea of broadband. This is from the Norwich area of the UK.:(

Mechanicus
04-03-2007, 20:56
I recently came down from 10 meg to 4 meg line as from around November 2006 most downloads and assorted internet connections became reduced in speed. What were fast downloads from around the world of 1.1 meg sec reduced to 300 - 400 Kbs. Most web pages lost their instant loading that many had under the 10 meg modem about a year ago. I have read that there has been severe damage to a major fibre optic international connection ring but do not know for certain. What of the future ?
Now that I have a 4 meg line it does not seem worse than the recent 10 meg line only cheaper. But we really need to get back to the old performance as that is the idea of broadband. This is from the Norwich area of the UK.:(

Well that's fantastic and all, but it doesn't really help me :(
As I've said, my connection was absolutely fine yesterday. Full speed, no worries. Now today it is aweful. I have not had a problem with them at all until today. Why now? What could *I* have done to make this happen?

Edit:: Thought I would add that I do indeed have bad speed to the US, and have had since I was installed. But what I mean is that I haevn't had an 'over the board' speed issue at all until today. Everything is slow, from browsing to downloads, whether from the US, UK, or anywhere else.

Edit 2:: Now getting 2mb on speed tests.

Edit 3:: Downloads are dropping to 0kb/s, up to 150kb/s, then back down again!

dcclanuk
04-03-2007, 21:00
hmm... something is up today... mostly noticable with google... taking so long to load at times!:(

I thought it was just my comp:rolleyes::shocked:

Mechanicus
04-03-2007, 21:02
Could you do me a favor dcclanuk? Could you download this file and tell me what speed you get, and if it drops to 0kb/s at all? You don't have to do the whole thing, just try it for 10 seconds or so?

http://mythic.fileburst.com/war/media/WAR_Trailer_FINAL_100meg.zip

Web-Junkie
04-03-2007, 21:17
That file was coming down at around 350KB/sec, started off at 505 then dropped down to 350, not great speed!

Mechanicus
04-03-2007, 21:21
That file was coming down at around 350KB/sec, started off at 505 then dropped down to 350, not great speed!

Started at 60kb/s for me, dropped to 40kb/s, up; and down a bit, never going above 100kb/s.

Web-Junkie
04-03-2007, 22:28
Put in a call to TS, there maybe a local fault!

dcclanuk
04-03-2007, 22:37
Could you do me a favor dcclanuk? Could you download this file and tell me what speed you get, and if it drops to 0kb/s at all? You don't have to do the whole thing, just try it for 10 seconds or so?

http://mythic.fileburst.com/war/media/WAR_Trailer_FINAL_100meg.zip

maxing out at 2mb speed, which is what i am on!

weird!

jus chked... google working fine now... maybe watever was broken is fixed!

Mechanicus
04-03-2007, 23:07
Yep, getting 10mb speeds now too! No idea what that was, but I certainly hope it won't be happening every night! My Vanguard guild's primary playing time is from about 6-7pm onwards, which is when I noticed the problem!