PDA

View Full Version : More Sky+ queries!

bluecandylover
04-03-2007, 19:01
Ello Everyone.

Decided to get Sky+ installed in my bedroom, I now know that you can get 8 output dish.

We already have a Sky+ and an normal Sky box.

One question is I know that you can 160Gb Sky+ box, is this the £99 one? Also does this £99 price ONLY for new customers or can people who already have Sky+ get it.

Secondly question is... how much is installation?

Lasty - I know that people we're able to upgrade the hard-drive, Using a 5,400RPM (I read that the boxes don't like 7,200RPM harddrives that it can cause pixelation, failed recordings and consistant fan hum), Are people still able to upgrade the hard-drive even if the box has space allocuated to Sky Anytime (Or is this ONLY for Sky HD?), also how big of hard drive can you install?

Much appreciated.

Tezcatlipoca
04-03-2007, 19:07
Moved to Sky+ sub-forum

The currently available Sky+ box (PVR3) only has 80GB of space available for the user. The HDD size is 160GB in total, however the rest of the space is "reserved for future use by Sky" (e.g. their upcoming Push-VOD service). [the PVR1 version was only 40GB total, & PVR2 was only 80GB total]

There did used to be a "Sky+160" box available, made by Thomson, which had a full 160GB available to the user. It's been discontinued, though.

Installation is free if you take multiroom. Don't know how this offer, or the price of the box itself, is affected though if you're already a normal Sky customer or Sky+ customer.

bluecandylover
04-03-2007, 20:30
Well I got off the dog and bone to Sky.

Got through to a nice SCOTTISH women, was expecting an Indian call centre so was happy to speak to a scottish lady.

Sky+ IS £99 for me, AND installation is FREE too.

Now all I need to know is... can I upgrade the hard drive (even if it comes with a Sky Anytime partition?)

bluecandylover
18-03-2007, 18:22
Ordered Sky+ on Friday and they said it will be installed THIS Monday, they just phoned to confirm 12 -3 :) Fantastic :D

bluecandylover
20-03-2007, 00:17
Whheyyy

I got it installed and got the Thomson box!

It's way faster than my TVdrive was, I got more channerls, and presonaly I pay less because my mother had Sky anyway so I only need to pay the £10 multiroom :)

And having the extra music channels are ALWAYS welcomes, Some good ones as well like Chart Show TV, Flaunt, Bliss, Bubble hits!

The only thing I will miss is VOD! But I'll get used to that :)

andygrif
20-03-2007, 00:26
There's a sort of VOD coming soon to Sky+ boxes, where they will trickle programmes you haven't asked for into the reserved space on the hard drive, and you'll be able to access it as a kinda VOD system...not going to have nearly as much scope for sheer quantity as cable's true VOD, but better than nowt I guess....when it happens.