PDA

View Full Version : Why no Ethernet connection?

ygarth
04-03-2007, 17:27
The operator in New Delhi can check that your modem is working properly by running a checking programme – all the reconnection is done from the home computer, not by the operator – all they can do is issue you with instructions to follow.

After checking through everything, if the operator cannot get your connection back you will be told to use the USB cable to make a connection. This means you cannot use a router (thus losing your protection from outside malware) and, if the connection works, it will be slightly slower and with slightly less clear graphics. The drivers for the USB connection are on the Internet Service Provider’s disk (and are specific to the model of modem you have). In my experience the USB connection usually works; but no reason is given for this.

Often there seems to be no reason why the Internet is faulty – it probably just failed while you were surfing – and there has been no alteration in your computer, no sudden arrival of malware, or failure in the system. The operator will check everything, but the question remains in your mind –“Is it the ISP’s fault?” The operator will say, “I’ve checked everything, and it’s not a problem with the ISP; your connection is working properly”. So, if it’s not your computer, and it’s not ntl/Virgin, then what is it??? Sometimes, if you leave it, the connection comes back in a day or two. Surely this indicates that the problem lies with the ntl/Virgin server or the cable network? Sometimes, after a few days of using the USB connection (if this works) you’ll find that you can reconnect to the Ethernet connection without any problems at all.

On one occasion I was told that my connection was OK and my modem was OK, and so I rebuilt my computer. The Internet still wouldn’t work, and so they sent an engineer. The engineer replaced the modem and all worked OK. So, despite the modem being remotely checked and deemed to be working properly it was actually faulty. However, there are other things an engineer can check, like the attenuation of the Internet signal (but I don’t think this usually prevents the Internet from working totally), and, of course, the actual cable signal.

Last night the Internet failed. I tried all the usual things. I spoke to an Indian guy on an 0845 number for 35 minutes this morning, and went through all the disconnect/reconnect, ipconfig, winsock catalog, and "repair connection", and check drivers stuff.

Then, after all that, and it still doesn’t work with the Ethernet connection, I switched off and fitted the USB cable, and it all works PERFECTLY!!!

Why is this?? Does it mean that my Ethernet part of the modem is failing? Since the drivers are OK, and the USB connecton works OK, it surely means that there isn't a problem with my computer. I had my computer blamed before, and there wasn't anything wrong with it.

Stuart
04-03-2007, 17:40
It could be the Ethernet port on the modem, or the Ethernet cable. It could also be the socket on your computer. If, as you say, the engineer has replaced the modem, it's unlikely to be the modem.

ygarth
04-03-2007, 18:08
Thank you Stuart for your reply. The problem I have with that suggestion is that all those parts were renewed - new computer, new modem, and new cables to match. But the problem's the same - no U/S or D/S light activity on the modem with the Ethernet connecton. Mind you it's been a couple of years since the new equipment was fitted. Since history has repeated itself (a number of times), I'm concerned to know how to correct the problem permanently. But I'm not going to build a new computer this time! Would reinstalling the operating system help?

ygarth
05-03-2007, 00:51
Sorry Stuart, I've been thinking about what you said. Isn't it just some more ntl double-talk? After all, if the socket on the modem is faulty, then it is the modem isn't it? I got a completely new computer because ntl wouldn't own up to the possibility of my modem being faulty. When I connected that to the old modem there wasn't any case of "faulty computer socket". Why would the computer socket go faulty anyway? More likely the socket connection inside the modem is poor, and then with all that heat....
I've changed the cable, and it makes not a blind bit of difference.

valor
05-03-2007, 01:00
:confused:

ygarth
05-03-2007, 01:12
I suspect that the Ethernet pathway through my modem has failed, and that I'm being fobbed off by ntl/virgin into using the USB connection because they want to save costs (sending engineer, replacing modem etc). It was the modem that was faulty last time, and not my computer, or its sockets. I really would like to have my Ethernet connection back because I really need my router connected to my computer. Surely ntl/virgin are under contract to provide the service that we pay for?

Tezcatlipoca
05-03-2007, 01:17
If the ethernet port doesn't work, then they should give you a replacement modem, not just tell you to use USB instead.

[so long as it is not your ethernet cable or your PC's ethernet socket which is at fault]

NTLVictim
05-03-2007, 12:01
Crossover cable?