PDA

View Full Version : No connection Virgin Media

vfr-owner
04-03-2007, 12:26
Hi,

since yesterday my connection broke down. I use a Motorola SB5101E Modem. I restarted the modem several times but the only lights which are on is Power, PC/activity and Receive is flashing.

I called the support but they could not help me. They will send an technician in one week.

Anyone experienced the same problems?

Is it possible that the modem is broken?

Mick Fisher
04-03-2007, 12:32
It would help if you said what area you are in.

In this way you might be able to find out if it is an area wide fault or something local to you.

vfr-owner
04-03-2007, 12:40
I live in London Kilburn, Postcode NW6
I have the cable from telewest since October 2006 and never had any problems.

The following information from the modem config page:
Downstream:
Frequency: 209000000Hz
Signal to Noise ratio: 24.7 dB
Power Level: 6.7 dBmV

Upstream:
Channel ID: 0
Frequency: 0Hz
Power: 8.3 dBmV

vfr-owner
05-03-2007, 20:49
No one can help?

Does it look like a modem problem?

vfr-owner
06-03-2007, 20:04
Today I tried another cable modem. I did not get a connection, so it is not a problem within my walls.
I do not get uploads.

However they told me they have to check the modem first as it is there procedure!

I have to take 1/2 day holiday to be present for the technician.

As soon as my contract time is over I will cancel.

2||Para
06-03-2007, 23:31
Being as your acct is tied to the mac address on your modem,another modem wont work!

Correct me if i'm wrong someone.

MovedGoalPosts
06-03-2007, 23:46
Today I tried another cable modem. I did not get a connection, so it is not a problem within my walls.
I do not get uploads.

However they told me they have to check the modem first as it is there procedure!

I have to take 1/2 day holiday to be present for the technician.

As soon as my contract time is over I will cancel.

You cannot just swap modems. They are setup for your own address and paired to your account. Any other modem not specifically subscribed to your service will not operate, and indeed as the cable modem is normally hired, rather than sold, is not able to be moved around the country.

OK so a week is perhaps a long time to wait for somebody to come and check what is wrong, but electronics do develop faults and at least someone is being sent. Don't necessarily think things are better with other suppliers. I've had instances of a week on ADSL for a business connection just trying to get somebody to agree a problem needed someone to look at it, when there was no connection whatsoever :(

xspeedyx
06-03-2007, 23:49
Also try and ring tech support and see if you can get an earlier appointment if someone has cancelled a tech you might be lucky

vfr-owner
07-03-2007, 19:33
Is there no way to reconfigure a modem?

Change the MAC address?

gargoyle
07-03-2007, 20:05
I live in the ML1 area of Motherwell and have been having problems since early February.

Basically broadband goes off line most nights between 6pm and 10pm. I have since discovered when this happens all Digital TV on demand services are not available. Get a mesage saying this service is currently unavailable and to ring 151 and quote code 1050.

When broadband fails to go online and I check the surfboard configuration manager it says "DHCP FAILED - Discover sent, no offer received"

Phoned numerous times to be told that the fault is not at my end and there is service outages while they do maintenance that seemingly should have been complete by the end of last year.

Virgin cannot give me a time when this maintenance will be completed.

Is it normal for interactive TV to go tits up when broadband goes off line.

By the way I only recently discovered the problem with TV on demand and made the link that when there is no internet connection there is no TV on demand,

They are sending a technician out on Friday, between 8am and midday but I am sure at these times everything will be working.

Oh well at least he can check cables, connections etc.

Does anyone know if Virgin could simply assign me to another DHCP server to solve this.

Not that au fait with how it all works so just asking the question

I would also guess that the whole network needs upgrading, if this if the type of non service they are currently providing.

Toneboy
09-03-2007, 10:19
We to have been having connection problems, a Telewest customer, and the pattern of the problems is random, it can be early morning like today, night time or during the day.

The last time we went thru this problem it was down to Telewest playing around/upgrading their servers, but I am sure they must know about this current problem and it would be helpful if they just did a general e-mail out as to what they are doing.

Stuart
09-03-2007, 10:27
Is there no way to reconfigure a modem?

Change the MAC address?

None that is legal, and therefore we cannot allow discussion of that on this board.

I don't understand why you can't call Customer Services. If you have an account, and the connection and/or modem is found to be faulty, they will repair it for free.